Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registered AITI Tax Qualification Info and Questions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jimmy456

lustig2014 wrote: »
    I've been working in tax thirteen years and am still trying to pass the Part 3's, having started Part 1 in 2016.

My friend has just passed all four at the first attempt. She has six months tax experience, and left the industry in late 2016.

It seems to me that the exam system rewards memory skills more than it does an ability to do the job.

Also having sat Part 3 in August 2018 and May 2019, the May 2019 sittings were much more difficult, with only a 56% pass rate. It's my understanding that with a possible recession on the way, the insititute will have been told to reduce the pass rate so that there are not an excess amount of qualifieds in the job market

You will not pass the tax exams by learning things by heart! Its all about understanding the issue at hand and applying the law to it. The examiner reports also provide good guidance on what the examiner expects, especially at Part 3.

At Part 2 the exams are very compliance focused and go into detail on the big reliefs etc. Ie computing tax returns etc.

At Part 3 you have to be aware of the tax implications of a transaction. ie providing advise to clients. Here you have to understand the legislation and develop a process for working through the questions.

If you have been working in tax and have experience in advising clients (especially individuals) you should be getting through these. It could be down to exam technique. ie 1 mark every two minutes and then move on. The exam itself is a battle and a people fall here rather than on the tax issues in the questions.

Also I don't think the institute will be reducing the pass rate. They get more money from you when you pass! Also if they reduce the pass rate it will turn people off doing them and they lose out on revenue. Also there is only something like 5000 CTA's in Ireland which is a hell of a lot less than the amount of people working in tax!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

steve_r wrote: »
    Have you gotten your marked up scripts back? They will show you where you picked up marks, and the points where they didn't give you anything.

The marking scheme for these things is quite specific and detailed in what they look for, if you deviate from that they won't give you marks.

Will these be provided for free?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭steve_r

Happy4all wrote: »
    Will these be provided for free?

My understanding is that there is a charge but it is worth it IMO. I helped someone prepare for repeats and the scripts were a really good indicator on how specifically certain questions had gone against them the first time around - for example the areas where they might have written a lot but strayed off topic or made a key mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Corkguy24

Hi Guys

I have completed the FAEs doing and performing well in the elective tax module. I work in Audit but have an interest and want to go down the tax route.

I will be starting on Part 2s and enquiring the difficulty of them ? I am considering taking them on and doing them next April but would get no study leave ? Would this be possible by studying weekends as I would consider myself quite good to study or is it a huge risk

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

If you're still on a training contract why not move to somewhere that does offer leave?
    If not then the worst that can happen is you fail some or all of them in which case you can repeat.
    The FAE tax elective is not that difficult in comparison to the part 2s. Difficulty wise think CAP 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Townton

Hey guys, im looking at doing the CTA course. I work in legal services (currently a trainee solicitor, early days) I'm not involved in a tax specific job but looking to move into that area and im thinking having the CTA can only be a bonus. Got quite a few exemptions for part 1 but from what i have read here the real works seems to be in parts 2 and 3. Just wondering what the work load is like in comparison to lets say FE1s, can they be done while working at the same time or would you need some kind of study leave to be sure.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

There is a significant amount of study required. It is a masters level qualification so plan accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 dougalmaguire

Hey was wondering does anyone here have a good knowledge of the uk tax system?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Orwilsin

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone has looked at the AITI CTA professional skills assignment? I am very confused on the shareholder part of it

• Registered Users Posts: 14 april319

Orwilsin wrote: »
    Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone has looked at the AITI CTA professional skills assignment? I am very confused on the shareholder part of it

What part are you in? 1.2. Or 3?

• Advertisement

april319 wrote: »
    What part are you in? 1.2. Or 3?

I’m in Part 2

• Registered Users Posts: 14 april319

Orwilsin wrote: »
    I’m in Part 2

Can u post a copy of the q?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Deckyalrite

How are people settling into the new online system this week. Doing Part 3's next week and believe that it could be a disaster especially when it comes to referring to legislation. Any pointers let me know as regards set up.

Doing Part 2 exams this week and its a terrible system. Done the checks needed last week where I thought I was gonna sit them and all was fine, come Monday morning this week, the internet wasn't fast enough. Now using broadband at 25mbps download and 5.08mbps upload and still, the cirrus assessment keeps losing connection during the exams. Have tried contacting the invigilators on it during the exams but it comes up "already chatting" as though they were busy with someone else. Have only been able to finish one of the 3 exams this week because of this. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Hildago

Hi All,

Looking for some advice/guidance around possibly taking on the Part 2 exams in the upcoming sitting. I'm ACA qualified, trained in Big 4 audit and came out of contract earlier this year. I left practice and now work as a Financial Accountant in industry.

My main reasons for wanting to take on the tax exams are twofold:

1). Myself and my OH are looking towards setting up a company within the next couple of years and I would like to be able to take on all the tax planning and compliance myself for this venture. I definitely don't feel I have sufficient knowledge to do this at the moment.
    2). A few years down the line after gaining further experience, I would definitely have an interest in starting my own small practice.

As I'm just in the door of my current role, I'm not entitled to much in the way of study leave or benefits just yet, so would be taking this on purely as a personal challenge, for Part 2 exams at least. This would mean limited time off for study before exams (most likely 2 weeks + days of exams, maximum).

How have people in a similar situation to this approached their study plan? How often/how many hours per week did you put in throughout the course? Is there anywhere that I can see past exams papers before actually registering, to get a feel for whether or not this is a viable option in the months ahead? Also, would I be correct in thinking that if I were to fail the exams in the Winter 2020/21 sitting, I would be looking at a change in legislation for the repeat sitting?

Any and all advice is appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Hildago wrote: »

How have people in a similar situation to this approached their study plan? How often/how many hours per week did you put in throughout the course? Is there anywhere that I can see past exams papers before actually registering, to get a feel for whether or not this is a viable option in the months ahead? Also, would I be correct in thinking that if I were to fail the exams in the Winter 2020/21 sitting, I would be looking at a change in legislation for the repeat sitting?

When you say winter 2020/21 that's the sitting that will be in August 2021.There is the spring course sitting which will be in April 2021 which would give you the option to repeat with the same legislation in the August if you fail.

I work in tax but in quite a specific area. I took 3 weeks off AL/study leave before the exams and just found it hard to retain the volume of information.I had been going to the lectures since last October though so I had absorbed some of the material then but had forgotten it when not using it. If you're starting fresh I'd recommend covering the personal tax syllabus first then business taxes.VAT and CAT are smaller courses and more doable. Your accountancy background will help with the business taxes course.If you do chose to do the exams then best of luck .I could send you some old exam papers if you do choose.

Does anyone know when the results from August 2020 are due to be released I cant see anything on blackboard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Are the original August exams happening in December? Or did they merge into one?

Happy4all wrote: »
    Are the original August exams happening in December? Or did they merge into one?

The December sitting is available this year because there was no April sitting. They're online exams like the August sitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭marizpan

Does anyone know when the results from August 2020 are due to be released I cant see anything on blackboard?

October 21st or 23rd

• Registered Users Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I was due to sit the Part 3s last week but had a feeling that it wouldnt work well and didnt fancy being the guinea pigs, so i put it off until december..

Can those who sat it give us an idea of how the new system worked?

Thank you

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement

I was due to sit the Part 3s last week but had a feeling that it wouldnt work well and didnt fancy being the guinea pigs, so i put it off until december..

Can those who sat it give us an idea of how the new system worked?

Thank you

I used the system for the part 2 tests.
    I found it OK to use as I had completed the previous papers that were uploaded onto the system. That was very beneficial for me. I also started doing my other practice questions using word.

My critacisms are
    -if you have a table in the answer you can't add any text after the table. You have to type something, insert the table and you can continue to type in the block of text before it. For the long computations I included my notes in a seperate notepad tab.

-you have to open the rates and tables in Q1(a) and minamise it for use later on The resources tab isn't available further in the exam. If you were using it further in the exam and you closed it instead of minimising it you had to flick back to the beginning to get it back again. This was fierce annoying.

-it timed me out randomly with about 76 minutes left in the VAT exam. I logged back in within 2 minutes so it was fine but it threw me for a loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Will Yam

Hildago wrote: »
    Hi All,

Looking for some advice/guidance around possibly taking on the Part 2 exams in the upcoming sitting. I'm ACA qualified, trained in Big 4 audit and came out of contract earlier this year. I left practice and now work as a Financial Accountant in industry.

My main reasons for wanting to take on the tax exams are twofold:

1). Myself and my OH are looking towards setting up a company within the next couple of years and I would like to be able to take on all the tax planning and compliance myself for this venture. I definitely don't feel I have sufficient knowledge to do this at the moment.
    2). A few years down the line after gaining further experience, I would definitely have an interest in starting my own small practice.

As I'm just in the door of my current role, I'm not entitled to much in the way of study leave or benefits just yet, so would be taking this on purely as a personal challenge, for Part 2 exams at least. This would mean limited time off for study before exams (most likely 2 weeks + days of exams, maximum).

A few years back I did it Iti exams. I had no accounting qual, nor tax experience. Just a very out of date b.comm, and many years of general business experience.

I only did it because a woman where I worked - who I disliked- said to me one day that I would never be able to get the exams.

I got parts 2 and 3 on the first go. ( got an exemption from part i from rusty bcomm).

I did 2 hours study per hour of lectures, plus revision.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭try_again

I found it grand to be honest. And I'm relieved the examiners don't have to read my handwriting. You're allowed have a printed copy of rates and tables at Part 3. Make sure you have logged on and used Proctorio - and that your computer meets the IT requirements - I would imagine older computers would struggle and cause all kinds of grief. I have good broadband so that helped. Do the sample paper on Proctorio - just to be sure everything is working okay.
    I didn't get kicked off at any stage but I have heard of someone who was getting kicked off repeatedly - this would be a complete nightmare, you have to do all the checks when you get back in - I can't even imagine the stress! And the exams are stressful enough.
    Keep a note of what questions you have done - any you have to go back to - you can flag questions but I feel I missed out on going back to a couple of parts because I didn't keep track. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 600lbs

Hi All

I qualified as an accountant 4 years ago with ACCA through industry, so I've no practice or intricate tax experience. However, I always liked tax in college so I'm considering starting part 2 of the CTA course in October, to give me more options in the current climate.

How much of a step up are the CTA exams from the advanced tax professional exam in ACCA?

What sort of salary would a qualified CTA expect to make in industry or practice?

Do you think the CTA qualification would be of much benefit to me if I'll likely continue working in industry as a financial/management accountant?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭crebel81

600lbs wrote: »
    Hi All

I qualified as an accountant 4 years ago with ACCA through industry, so I've no practice or intricate tax experience. However, I always liked tax in college so I'm considering starting part 2 of the CTA course in October, to give me more options in the current climate.

How much of a step up are the CTA exams from the advanced tax professional exam in ACCA?

What sort of salary would a qualified CTA expect to make in industry or practice?

Do you think the CTA qualification would be of much benefit to me if I'll likely continue working in industry as a financial/management accountant?

Thanks

Pm sent

Part 1 and Part 2 results out today.
    I'm moving straight to part 3 this month. Let the stress begin.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 NoraG

Part 1 and Part 2 results out today.
    I'm moving straight to part 3 this month. Let the stress begin.

Well done! Failed personal taxes by a fraction, but passed the 3 others by a massive margin. I will take personal taxes in December.

Would love to know how you do with studying for part 3s as that was my plan, to sit them in December.

NoraG wrote: »
    Well done! Failed personal taxes by a fraction, but passed the 3 others by a massive margin. I will take personal taxes in December.

Would love to know how you do with studying for part 3s as that was my plan, to sit them in December.

That's a shame on personal taxes.I got 56 and was happy enough.Did similarly in business taxes but got in the 70's and 80's for indirect and capital taxes. Though the courses are massively different in terms of information required so can't really compare.

I'm going to sit the part 3's in May.No way I'd have even a passable fraction of the course covered by December.I had thought there was an assignment at Part 3 level but having looked through the curriculum I don't think there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 NoraG

That's a shame on personal taxes.I got 56 and was happy enough.Did similarly in business taxes but got in the 70's and 80's for indirect and capital taxes. Though the courses are massively different in terms of information required so can't really compare.

I'm going to sit the part 3's in May.No way I'd have even a passable fraction of the course covered by December.I had thought there was an assignment at Part 3 level but having looked through the curriculum I don't think there is.

I will register to take part 3s for May. They are fair hard compared to 2s though! Back to studying again for personal taxes, as my margin was so tight for passing it should be easy next time 😅 hopefully. The system went against me as I kept going back to question 1 to see the questions and only got three questions done. I was better prepared for the rest by going in to the flagged area when I was told by a friend to do so. Good luck with studying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 mariussulla1977

Hi Folks

I have a rusty LLB in Irish Law from 2002 and I an considering doing the CTA exams as a path back into the Corporate World.

Would love some advice on whether it is achievable if you have no experience in accounting and what would be the career prospects of the qualification. Found Law easy enough but I have never studied Accounting in any form.

Is it waste of time for me to head down that path?

Advertisement