Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Demand For Purebred Red Angus

Options
  • 03-04-2020 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hey Guys.

Hoping for some advice from my fellow farmers.

I am currently fattening stock on my farm but would love to get into breeding. More out of interest and love of it over any financial reasons.

I was thinking of purchasing some polled purebred in calf red angus.

Is there demand from dairy farmers for red Angus? Very few for sale on done deal.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Why would dairy men care about the colour of the bull?

The calves are most likely gonna turn out black anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I used ZLL on 3 of my ladies last spring, all black cows. The calves, all bulls, came brown:D

I have another by AA4088 who is jet black so ZLL seems to have some effect on colour but it didn't go all the way to red for me.

I'll use him again this year in the hope of a red heifer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

The only place I've seen red Angus being bred was on a purebred Montbeliarde dairy farm.

I couldn't tell you what he got for the calves. But I'd imagine they came red with a whitish head from the montbeliarde.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Farmer jerry

ganmo wrote: »
    Why would dairy men care about the colour of the bull?

The calves are most likely gonna turn out black anyway

A lot of cows seem to be carriers of the red gene so a certain amount of calves are reddish. But i get your point. Red Angus have really caught in Canada, America, Australia and South Africa. 40% of Angus registered in Canada are now red. Don't ask me why. It was just something I was thinking about, maybe i could find better things to do with my time, lol

I used ZLL on 3 of my ladies last spring, all black cows. The calves, all bulls, came brown:D

I have another by AA4088 who is jet black so ZLL seems to have some effect on colour but it didn't go all the way to red for me.

I'll use him again this year in the hope of a red heifer.

Hopefully your red heifer arrives!! I know of 3 suckler farmers near me using Red Angus straws. One guy is using them on limousines, maybe to help with the temperament and would produce a nice colour! Not sure. I must call into him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Gillespy

A lot of cows seem to be carriers of the red gene so a certain amount of calves are reddish. But i get your point. Red Angus have really caught in Canada, America, Australia and South Africa. 40% of Angus registered in Canada are now red. Don't ask me why. It was just something I was thinking about, maybe i could find better things to do with my time, lol

In hot climates, red is an advantage over black I imagine.

Red is all the rage. Red Holsteins carry a premium and it's funny how red hereford calves off dairy are sought after now.

Gillespy wrote: »

Red is all the rage. Red Holsteins carry a premium and it's funny how red hereford calves off dairy are sought after now.

Ahhh, that makes sense. I think you hit the nail on the head. Climate is surely the main influence in the warmer countries. No fear of that here, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Gillespy wrote: »

Worked on a farm in Western Australia which had all black angus cattle having switched from herefords due to there being too much cases of melanoma in the herefords. Not sure if that was due to the red or the white but thats the way they went.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

The slaughterhouses in america used to pay more for black cattle. So I think the reason they have a premium over there because every animal ya see is black other than the red ones

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Worked on a farm in Western Australia which had all black angus cattle having switched from herefords due to there being too much cases of melanoma in the herefords. Not sure if that was due to the red or the white but thats the way they went.

Think that was more the white heads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Think that was more the white heads.

I suppose it make sense actually looming at breeds like brangus, droughtmaster and santa gertrudas. Thise santa gertrudas cattle are something else.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Gillespy

ganmo wrote: »
    The slaughterhouses in america used to pay more for black cattle. So I think the reason they have a premium over there because every animal ya see is black other than the red ones

Black Angus premium is a big thing there and for some reason they don't accept the red angus as angus. They see them as another breed.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dodo mommy

A little bit off topic here but I have two Angus heifers and I don't know what to do with them (fatten or breed) they are 360kg now at 12 months what weight would the want to be before breeding?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

dodo mommy wrote: »
    A little bit off topic here but I have two Angus heifers and I don't know what to do with them (fatten or breed) they are 360kg now at 12 months what weight would the want to be before breeding?

You'd want them about 3/4 of their mature weight. I'd not normally serve anything until they're between 400-450kg (on purpose anyway, bulls have had other ideas when they're in the locality :pac:) but it'd be breed dependent. I'd give them another 3/4 months & look at them then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,069 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Hey Guys.

Hoping for some advice from my fellow farmers.

I am currently fattening stock on my farm but would love to get into breeding. More out of interest and love of it over any financial reasons.

I was thinking of purchasing some polled purebred in calf red angus.

Is there demand from dairy farmers for red Angus? Very few for sale on done deal.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks.

Red angus have the name of been hard calvers so wouldn’t be for me ps I love your line that your doing this out of interest and love of breeding than financial gain !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭davidk1394

These are my red angus heifers out of montbeliarde cows.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jd_12345

A lot of calf buyers would be very wary.
    I’d say if they weren’t in top order they’d have a jersey look.
    Buyers have bad experiences of buying ‘red angus’
    Lovely looking calves though.
    The only thing is that the questionable calving ease of a red angus defies the purpose of an angus in the first place.
    If you used them on friesians I’d say if wouldn’t balance out much more on calf sales than a black angus.
    There are too many angus and Hereford bulls out there. Most fellas selling end up finishing a proportion of them every year unless they’re being sold at a loss or have a very loyal customer base.

Advertisement