Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

If Fianna Fail win the next election, will we see boom time policies?

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Why would you expect any different from FF, irrespective of confidence and supply? They're not trying to hoodwink people about where they stand.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/fianna-f%C3%A1il-a-bit-to-the-left-says-miche%C3%A1l-martin-1.2487360

Fianna Fail are an ideology free zone. Whatever you are having yourself as long as the builders get taken care of.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

FF swing whichever way the people do.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

noodler wrote: »
    Our GDP is also a terrible, inflated metric for the comparison you put forward. Rather than copy that graph from rte, go to Eurostat and make it again using GNI* from the CSO and we'll be closer to average.

https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/databrowser/bookmark/b2240418-b8a6-42ef-a8b8-426dfe563673?lang=en

Ireland spends about 8,500 on SPE pp.

This is close to the EA average, even though we have a younger than average population.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Weren't Labour in a coalition in 92?

Eveyone left of far left of any substance has pretty much been in government with FF at some point.

Labour are centre left, within the usual ‘centerist’ swing

• Registered Users Posts: 32,983 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Labour are centre left, within the usual ‘centerist’ swing

Aren't they all...?

Centrist, I mean

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

Aren't they all...?

Centrist, I mean

no, FG, FF and Labour are.

the greens and renua are single social agenda with bolt ons from the left / right respectively

SF are crazy populists
    almost anyone else is to the left

identity ireland / national front / whatever theyre calling themselves are socially far right with no clear economic strategy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Ireland has the one of the lowest welfare spending per capita in Europe. Social welfare rates are same now as in 2009.

Irelands population like most of developed countries is aging at a rapid rate and living longer than ever.

In just the last year the number of people over 65 in Ireland increased by 3.5%. You are going to come to a point in next few decades where nobody might be on dole but social welfare budget increases due to our aging population.

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRF8mFkEoK-1f5WZzOgRZWkHUFbx-p5tQ0UkI3uCCCvM0rSAEFW

Does this take account of all people registered on back to education or sent on courses ... or how about those on schemes.... Ireland has a great way of massaging figures

LillySV wrote: »
    Does this take account of all people registered on back to education or sent on courses ... or how about those on schemes.... Ireland has a great way of massaging figures

its also not per capita either..... and in a % of gdp.

no, FG, FF and Labour are.

the greens and renua are single social agenda with bolt ons from the left / right respectively

SF are crazy populists
    almost anyone else is to the left

identity ireland / national front / whatever theyre calling themselves are socially far right with no clear economic strategy

That was my point - Labour are centrist left.

That was my point - Labour are centrist left.

yes, but you used them as an example of my point where the PDs who were the closest thing weve ever had to actual right got power but none of the actual left have ever seen power luckily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,141 ✭✭✭✭noodler

LillySV wrote: »

That doesn't really make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Fg and FF are a joke, but they are the best options out of all the jokes in my opinion. for this country, short of a new good, viable party forming. the best thing to happen in my opinion, is FF and FG simply go into coalition. Take out all the morons like the independent alliance, Shane ross (the minister for stepaside guarda station) agree on key points, be it LPT, water charges, general taxation etc and start to make proper progress on issues.

The biggest issue is their fear of losing votes over say LPT, well if FG dont want it increased, we cant look for an increase either etc. I wouldnt merge the parties, they'd never do that, but for this country, it would be best if they you simply go into coalition in my opinion and we might get even a hint of direction and leadership, because the country currently is just rudderless, spineless Taoiseach etc...

yes, but you used them as an example of my point where the PDs who were the closest thing weve ever had to actual right got power but none of the actual left have ever seen power luckily.

No.... I used then as an example of a left wing party in coalition with FF in reply to this:

Well they were in government with FF , which is more than can ever be said for any of the left or the shinners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

noodler wrote: »
    That doesn't really make sense.

It makes great sense.... people in receipt of long term Jobseeker’s Allowance go on the back to education Allowance and are therefore moved to a different category and not counted as unemployed ... same as those on ce and tus.... long term unemployed doing 19.5 hours work experience so considered employed rather than unemployed

• Registered Users Posts: 13,218 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

that was bord gais for the billing , also it wouldnt have been squandered if it went ahead..... but ofcourse the unemployed got too rowdy.

FG knew that most of those protesting or not paying were the middle class.

The perma unemployed wouldn't have been a 20th of those that refused to pay.

That is why it was scrapped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

touts wrote: »
    Well sometime soon a party is going to cop on that the welfare class don't actually vote. The party who runs on cutting tax and cutting welfare to balance it gets an overall majority.

The country runs on grants and subsidies.

Danzy wrote: »

That's what's 'gas', (see what I did there?) those on welfare would be exempt. Where FG/Lab badly misjudged the whole thing was thinking it was all Paul Murphy and layabouts. It wasn't.

The only bright side of Fianna Fail getting in officially would be social housing. I think they'll lorry into the building. Plenty of back handers to be had.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

touts wrote: »
    Well sometime soon a party is going to cop on that the welfare class don't actually vote. The party who runs on cutting tax and cutting welfare to balance it gets an overall majority.

Considering the biggest slice of sw spending is on pensions that worked well the last couple of times someone tried it
    https://www.rte.ie/archives/2013/1022/481958-pensioners-protest-2008/
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thejournal.ie/pensioners-protest-1141795-Oct2013/%3famp=1

Pensioners are the most vocal voting group in the country. By 2050 there will be 1.6 million people over 65 in Ireland. Any party attempting to cut their entitlements won't see out 5 years in government.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Considering the biggest slice of sw spending is on pensions that worked well the last couple of times someone tried it
    https://www.rte.ie/archives/2013/1022/481958-pensioners-protest-2008/
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thejournal.ie/pensioners-protest-1141795-Oct2013/%3famp=1

Pensioners are the most vocal voting group in the country. By 2050 there will be 1.6 million people over 65 in Ireland. Any party attempting to cut their entitlements won't see out 5 years in government.

as you point out, the amount of leverage they have, given the relatively small number of them now, compared to one or two decades is staggering! But they cant keep increasing as they have, the numbers are simply far too large, its not just the pension, look at all the other stuff they get handed to them on a plate, its worth a fortune!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

we had a referendum (Fiscal Compact Treaty) that will limit government deficit spending so the answer to your question is no.

• Advertisement

Danzy wrote: »

The middle class are well known for having enough free time to hang around on housing estates and attack construction workers :rolleyes:

Im not saying a lot of the middle class didnt object, a hell of a lot of people clearly objected, but the violent actions, most of the non saturday protests and the PbP rent a mob that trapped joan burton were not people who are used to paying taxes...

The middle class are well known for having enough free time to hang around on housing estates and attack construction workers :rolleyes:

Im not saying a lot of the middle class didnt object, a hell of a lot of people clearly objected, but the violent actions, most of the non saturday protests and the PbP rent a mob that trapped joan burton were not people who are used to paying taxes...

Again: they were or you want them to be because it makes it easier for you to make a point, Eric?

Unlikely that people would take time to protest something that has absolutely no effect on them what so ever.
    We are to believe that people on welfare are up for protesting something that they'd never be asked to pay? I admire their community spirit.
    I know pensioners and house wives who attended week day protests. How should we ridicule them Eric?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I see from today's news that the fiscally responsible FG are going to waste over 200 million on another vanity project, namely a new road between Castlebar and Westport.

It's almost like they're daring voters to go FF in the next election.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,218 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Your talking about a tiny fraction and blowing that up to the mass marches and the majority that didn't pay.

Who gives a fuk what the PvP rent a mob did.

They were a side story.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,978 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

JRant wrote: »
    I see from today's news that the fiscally responsible FG are going to waste over 200 million on another vanity project, namely a new road between Castlebar and Westport.

It's almost like they're daring voters to go FF in the next election.

How is that any more of a 'vanity project' than any other new road?

What reason is there to think FF would be any more 'fiscally responsible' in government?

I agreed with water charges in principle, but if its the wasters get it free and the taxpayer pays, those wasters have done us all a favour, by having it paid out of general taxation. Not enough money to even give them their fiver (which is still a scandalous waste of money) in the budget. Thanks lads!

Advertisement