Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-10-2019, 22:14   #61
jacdaniel2014

An extra 5 a month from tax reductions can be nice, but if rent goes up 50 a month it’s pretty meaningless.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
13-10-2019, 22:15   #62
oceanman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRant View Post
Of course they are, it's just state sanctioned theft. They use workers money for their own vanity projects with little to no regards as how it should actually be spent.

Consider the amount of working people in Dublin who would benefit from a large metro project being built. No more hour long commutes from Swords to the city etc. But no, we need broadband for one off houses instead.
so its all just about Dublin?
Thanks from:
13-10-2019, 22:16   #63

Quote:
They ensured the grey vote was well looked after.
Willie O Dea?

Not this budget although he pushed hard, the slieveen.
13-10-2019, 22:17   #64
road_high

Quote:
They ensured the grey vote was well looked after.
That’s quite an admirable thing, the way we look after OAPs but I just wish there was a lot more honesty and appreciation about it from that section. In reality they are very well looked after compared to European peers and the image of the destitute struggling old pensioner is pretty bloody far from the reality (and thankfully so). Many working people do not get a yearly salary rise or Xmas bonus so don’t see why people on OA pensions expect and demand the same. It’s very weak government and fiscal management that panders to this
Thanks from:
13-10-2019, 22:19   #65
Harry Palmr

The grey vote is vital to win so they are pandered to in a way the working poor are not.
Advertisement
13-10-2019, 22:22   #66
JRant

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanman View Post
so its all just about Dublin?
Well it is the economic hub of the entire country and has about one quarter of the population.

Oy in gombeen politics is bringing fibre to one off houses more important than developing the capitals infrastructure.
13-10-2019, 22:22   #67
road_high

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Palmr View Post
The grey vote is vital to win so they are pandered to in a way the working poor are not.
Yes the low paid and in private rented accommodation are the worst off in society but almost invisible. Especially those just above any welfare “entitlements”
(2) thanks from:
13-10-2019, 22:24   #68
Sleeper12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola85
The national broadband plan is sound and anyone with a bit of sense knows that.

I want every home in the country to have access to broadband and as a dub I don't mind paying for something I'll never use. Its good for the county. In short I'm in favour of rural broadband.

I'm not in favour of giving billions to a private company and not even owning part of the system. We are being sold a pup on this

FG are as bad as FF for playing fast and loose with my money.
Thanks from:
13-10-2019, 22:31   #69
Sleeper12

Quote:
Honestly I’m reading the NBP thread here regularly and people who know about this stuff reckon it’s a good idea.

It's not that it's a bad idea. It's the implementation of of it & the costing that's outlandish. Literally gifting billions to a pr company
Advertisement
13-10-2019, 22:32   #70
JRant

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola85 View Post
Willie O Dea?

Not this budget although he pushed hard, the slieveen.
The one and only, more worried about party politics than what was good for the country.
13-10-2019, 22:32   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper12 View Post

I want every home in the country to have access to broadband and as a dub I don't mind paying for something I'll never use. Its good for the county. In short I'm in favour of rural broadband.

I'm not in favour of giving billions to a private company and not even owning part of the system. We are being sold a pup on this

FG are as bad as FF for playing fast and loose with my money.
Everything the government has owned in the history of the state ended up been a endless black hole for money.

For once let’s not make the same mistake.
13-10-2019, 22:35   #72
Sleeper12

Quote:
Everything the government has owned in the history of the state ended up been a endless black hole for money.
That doesn't mean that we donate billions to a private company though.
13-10-2019, 22:37   #73
JRant

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola85 View Post

For once let’s not make the same mistake.
The ESB is a successful model that should be replicated in other industries. Unfortunately, the cute hoors in government want their own lackies to have a large slice of the pie so that will never happen again.
13-10-2019, 22:42   #74
Sleeper12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRant
The ESB is a successful model that should be replicated in other industries. Unfortunately, the cute hoors in government want their own lackies to have a large slice of the pie so that will never happen again.

FG tried this with Irish water by having ESB handling the billing. They squandered 50 million on consultants in less than a year!
13-10-2019, 22:45   #75
JohnnyFlash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper12 View Post
FG tried this with Irish water by having ESB handling the billing. They squandered 50 million on consultants in less than a year!
The ESB? No they didn’t.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion