Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: Do you consider people from Northern Ireland to be Irish?
I consider everyone in NI to be Irish 202 49.03%
I consider nationalists as Irish, but unionists as British 130 31.55%
I do not consider anyone in NI to be Irish 80 19.42%
Voters: 412. You may not vote on this poll

12-10-2019, 20:28   #46
mfceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by myshirt View Post
The flag is Green, white and Gold for a reason.
Not being a smart arse but is the flag not green white and orange?

I have heard it being described as green white and gold before though and always wondered where it originated from.
Advertisement
12-10-2019, 20:29   #47
ThomasFlynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnielighto View Post
I didn't vote, should be an option that it's up to the individual.
But do you consider Northerners who wish to identify as Irish, to be as Irish yourself?

That was what the second option in the poll was for.

The third option was for people who don't consider nordies Irish even if they played nothing but GAA, spoke fluent Irish and only held an Irish passport.

I haven't voted because I'm not Irish and only want people from the ROI to vote in it to make the results more accurate (if that's possible) but the second option would be my prefered option.

I absolutely would consider protestants/unionists to be British as anyone in England, Scotland or Wales, that's their choice and should be respected. They are of full British heritage after all.

Last edited by ThomasFlynn; 12-10-2019 at 20:32.
12-10-2019, 20:31   #48
Danzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaph View Post
The GFA allows people from Northern Ireland to decide whether they're Irish or British and carry the appropriate passport, and I've no problem with that. But I do draw the line at people like Martin McGuinness or Gerry Adams standing for elected positions in this country when they have not been normal residents of the Republic. Notwithstanding their backgrounds, which I have no time for, but parachuting in and deciding they'd like to be president or a TD makes a mockery of the electoral process and is unfair to the people who didn't vote for them that they may ultimately represent. Gerry Adams doesn't even live in the country of the parliament he's been elected to, how is that right?
There are several key errors in this post.

Not small ones either given your whole premise depends on them.
(2) thanks from:
12-10-2019, 20:31   #49
ChikiChiki

Without reading the thread, I view Nationalists as Irish and Unionists as Trannys. (They are in transition and becoming Irish prior to renification when the British eventually get rid, they just do not realise the poor craythurs).

Theres a song in there somewhere, "Come out you black and trans"

Last edited by ChikiChiki; 12-10-2019 at 20:37.
12-10-2019, 20:34   #50
SEPT 23 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfceiling View Post

I have heard it being described as green white and gold before though and always wondered where it originated from.
Gold= Rome

Colour of the flag of the Vatican

Last edited by SEPT 23 1989; 12-10-2019 at 20:38.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
12-10-2019, 20:34   #51
Danzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikiChiki View Post
Without reading the thread, I view Nationalists as Irish and Unionists as Trannys. (They are in transition and becoming Irish, they just do not realise the poor craythurs)
Are the dissident TERFs.
12-10-2019, 20:34   #52
Sharp MZ700

As polls go that's a good one.
12-10-2019, 20:39   #53
Charles Babbage

The 26 counties is only part of Ireland. If someone wants to characterise someone as not being from there then some other term like not Freestater or not 26 countier can be used.

But as Mary McAleese's election showed normal people don't distinguish between one Irish person and another and the sad few who do should get a life.
(5) thanks from:
12-10-2019, 20:54   #54
Citizenpain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfceiling View Post

the Constitution of Ireland states

The national flag is the tricolour of green, white and orange.
Advertisement
12-10-2019, 21:02   #55
facehugger99

As long as we don’t have to pay for them they can call themselves whatever they like.
(2) thanks from:
12-10-2019, 21:02   #56
Hello 2D Person Below

I think I've spotted Ivan Yates.
Thanks from:
12-10-2019, 21:11   #57
Itssoeasy

I do consider people born in Northern Ireland to be Irish, but whether they consider themselves Irish or not is the question. The GFA sets out the position of people in the north. They can be Irish or British but they have the choice.
12-10-2019, 21:15   #58
Wibbs
Wibbed for your pleasure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Running View Post
Why would people born in occupied territory be anything but Irish? Ireland is an Island.
Well Iberia is a peninsula, but they're not all Spanish.
12-10-2019, 21:16   #59
ThomasFlynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikiChiki View Post
Without reading the thread, I view Nationalists as Irish and Unionists as Trannys. (They are in transition and becoming Irish prior to renification when the British eventually get rid, they just do not realise the poor craythurs).

Theres a song in there somewhere, "Come out you black and trans"
I personally wouldn't consider protestants/unionists from NI to be Irish. The vast majority identify as British ONLY, are of full (or near full) British ancestry, have fought and died with the British army in various wars over the past 100 years (with heavy casualties in WWI, WWII, Iraq, Afghanistan etc).

A lot of blood has been spilt for their right to call themselves British and I think that should be respected, whether we agree with it or not. Just as I would hope people in the ROI would consider the native Irish population up here to be as Irish as those in the 26 counties. If an English person pulled an Ali G "Iz you on holiday?" I would defend that protestant's person right to call himself British and not for him to be mocked.
12-10-2019, 21:22   #60
tdf7187

Shocking though not entirely surprising that 26% do not consider anyone in the Six Counties to be Irish, a view that runs directly counter to the GFA. Not sure if this is a reflection of loyalists on boards.ie, much of the southern media and establishment being aggressively partitionist, the education system being infiltrated by partitionists, or some combination of these factors.

Last edited by tdf7187; 12-10-2019 at 21:26.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion