Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: Do you consider people from Northern Ireland to be Irish?
I consider everyone in NI to be Irish 202 49.03%
I consider nationalists as Irish, but unionists as British 130 31.55%
I do not consider anyone in NI to be Irish 80 19.42%
Voters: 412. You may not vote on this poll

12-10-2019, 19:50   #31
mehico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaph View Post
The GFA allows people from Northern Ireland to decide whether they're Irish or British and carry the appropriate passport, and I've no problem with that. But I do draw the line at people like Martin McGuinness or Gerry Adams standing for elected positions in this country when they have not been normal residents of the Republic. Notwithstanding their backgrounds, which I have no time for, but parachuting in and deciding they'd like to be president or a TD makes a mockery of the electoral process and is unfair to the people who didn't vote for them that they may ultimately represent. Gerry Adams doesn't even live in the country of the parliament he's been elected to, how is that right?
Im not trying to dismiss your reasons but once a person is elected democratically I don't think it makes a mockery of the electoral process.
Advertisement
12-10-2019, 19:52   #32
Zaph
A kick in the gulags

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehico View Post
Im not trying to dismiss your reasons but once a person is elected democratically I don't think it makes a mockery of the electoral process.
OK, I'll rephrase, it makes a mockery of the electoral process if someone who doesn't live in the country is allowed to stand for an elected position here.
12-10-2019, 19:54   #33
dabestman1

Yes, as I have family that are from the north, I find it highly insulting to suggest that they are anything but irish. As for the remark about SF fielding candidates that were northern based wrong, if the electorate votes for them and they get a seat, thats good enough for me. Its not just SF who does this, FG have done this recently with Austin Currie, Mark Durkan,admittedly with losing outcomes.
(3) thanks from:
12-10-2019, 19:59   #34
Zaph
A kick in the gulags

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabestman1 View Post
Its not just SF who does this, FG have done this recently with Austin Currie, Mark Durkan,admittedly with losing outcomes.
As far as I'm concerned FG were as much out of order fielding those candidates as SF were with theirs, I just used SF as an example as Martin McGuinness' bid for president was mentioned earlier in the thread.
12-10-2019, 20:00   #35
Spleerbun

Quote:
The GFA allows people from Northern Ireland to decide whether they're Irish or British and carry the appropriate passport, and I've no problem with that.
Yeah but from my experience what tends to wind people up is the ones who choose to have both and are Irish when it suits and British when it suits. The ones who "renounce" their right to the British passport and have Irish and Irish only, from my experience in these discussions at least, don't tend to be looked down upon to the same extent
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
12-10-2019, 20:00   #36
Galwayguy35

I sure do, it's not their fault the Brits still hold a claim on part of our country.

Sure nobody would have been Irish so before independance going by what some are saying seeing as the whole country was under Brit rule.
(3) thanks from:
12-10-2019, 20:02   #37
Plumbthedepths

Quote:
As far as I'm concerned FG were as much out of order fielding those candidates as SF were with theirs, I just used SF as an example as Martin McGuinness' bid for president was mentioned earlier in the thread.
Gordon Wilson's appointment to the Seanad was an excellent decision.
(3) thanks from:
12-10-2019, 20:05   #38
myshirt

Why do people find it so difficult to wrap their heads around the fact Ireland is f*cking Ireland?

The 6 counties are absolutely occupied, and we are where we are with the history of that. The plantation of Ulster happened to be the most successful element of British occupation on this island. What do we do? Throw people off the Island? Absolutely not. No one wants that. We have a shared history. The flag is Green, white and Gold for a reason.

I'm no Sinn Fein voter. By a long, long mile. Some seriously sinister people in the mix there, but for those not sinister, at least they did not let their country men down.

I was disgusted at this lady's comment. Irish people born in the North and of the McGuinness vintage were born into a place that did not want them, but to which they belong. And this lady comes along and tells them they are not Irish. They are every bit welcome anywhere on this island. This is Ireland. It's not England. We're Irish. Not Anglo Saxon. Even the new Irish.
(4) thanks from:
12-10-2019, 20:11   #39
VinLieger

Personally id consider them to be "Northern Irish" but im not gonna argue with someone who insists on calling themselves something else.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
12-10-2019, 20:19   #40
Donnielighto

Ok, we just need to clarify. Maybe we're all Irish, those in the republic be Republicans and the ones in the union are unionists?

Seriously though it's too broad, you can be part of multiple groups. Anyone living or born in Ireland has at least a basis for calling themselves Irish.
12-10-2019, 20:20   #41
Mr.Nice Guy

One does not need to be from the 26 counties to be Irish. I've always found it bizarre that some people down south think the creation of an independent state brought with it the creation of the Irish identity. As has been said already, this logic suggests there were no Irish people prior to independence.

I also remember well the cringeworthy arrogance of that woman in the clip from the OP. The bright spark didn't seem to realise that we already had a President from the North (McAleese), as well as one born in London (Childers) and one born in New York (de Valera).
(5) thanks from:
12-10-2019, 20:22   #42
saabsaab

I'm shocked to see that 30% or so would not consider NI people as Irish! I would consider all NI as Irish but would have to respect the view of those of them who identify as British only. I'd say it is a small number.
Thanks from:
12-10-2019, 20:24   #43
jaxxx

Dinosaurs still alive I see.
12-10-2019, 20:25   #44
votecounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Nice Guy View Post
One does not need to be from the 26 counties to be Irish. I've always found it bizarre that some people down south think the creation of an independent state brought with it the creation of the Irish identity. As has been said already, this logic suggests there were no Irish people prior to independence.

I also remember well the cringeworthy arrogance of that woman in the clip from the OP. The bright spark didn't seem to realise that we already had a President from the North (McAleese), as well as one born in London (Childers) and one born in New York (de Valera).
She came across as a fool who obviously had never read a history or geography book.
(4) thanks from:
12-10-2019, 20:25   #45
Donnielighto

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabsaab View Post
I'm shocked to see that 30% or so would not consider NI people as Irish! I would consider all NI as Irish but would have to respect the view of those of them who identify as British only. I'd say it is a small number.
I didn't vote, should be an option that it's up to the individual.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion