Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rugby World Cup 2019 Hagibis Projected Path

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

sydthebeat wrote: »
    If you don't see the absoulute advantage of one team getting twice the rest period before a quarter final than the opposition, then I'm afraid you don't know the sport

Plus England and France have different opponents in the quarters depending on how their game went.

As do Wales and Australia obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

As unlikely as it would have been, Italy could have gotten through to the QF with a win over NZ. The fact that they won't even have an attempt at doing so is completely against the spirit of any tournament and I think this will unfortunately go down as the worst rugby world cup of all time (RWCs are at best a damp squib anyway).

The fact that there was zero contingency plan for re-scheduling games is a joke. I look at the European cup and they have on occasion played games behind closed doors to get them played off and I don't think anyone would have minded too much if the same had been done here in the interest of fairness.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

England, France and New Zealand will get two weeks rest before quarters versus their opponents six days.

It could end up knocking Scotland out.

To say it doesn't really matter is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

No way should games be cancelled. They should be moved to safe locations.

Cancelling games and awarding draws thereby taking matters out of certain team's hands and giving other teams the advantage of extra rest is very very unfair and has consequences all the way to the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

I thought I had seen it all, that day I saw a woman walk a duck on a leash.

No, current farce has surpassed even that.

If Japan/Scotland game does not go ahead, I'll find it very hard to watch any further games in this tournament.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭steves2

I was really looking forward to the France England game, they've now deprived me of a quality game where I won't stress over the outcome. I think Wales and England will get to the semis now and we'll be up against it playing NZ in the quarters. I'm actually in shock that they've cancelled the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

steves2 wrote: »
    I was really looking forward to the France England game, they've now deprived me of a quality game where I won't stress over the outcome. I think Wales and England will get to the semis now and we'll be up against it playing NZ in the quarters. I'm actually in shock that they've cancelled the games.

Not to mention the injuries and suspensions that may have come from playing those games.

It'll be an even bigger sham if our game goes ahead, we get some injuries and the game on Sunday gets cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

"It is difficult to know that we won't have the chance to play a match against one of the great teams," Parisse told reporters in Toyota City on Thursday.

"If New Zealand needed four or five points against us it would not have been cancelled."

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.rte.ie/amp/1082289/

As unlikely as that situation was, the cynic in me says he’s probably not wrong, which would highlight how unfair and wrong the decision to have no contingency plans in place really was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

guapos wrote: »
    What did Townsend say? Any links?
    padser wrote: »

I've no sympathy for SCT given the stance Townsend took when it appeared his team might benefit from the hurricane and honestly IRE deserve second place rather than first.

Ye - what was said?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I'm not a huge rugby fan, but have a passing interest in the World Cup.

There is everything wrong with awarding games like this in a WORLD finals and I can't believe that they are actual rules!

Horrific weather?
    Postpone and/or move to somewhere safe, closed doors if needs be.

This is really shocking to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭crisco10

thelad95 wrote: »

The fact that there was zero contingency plan for re-scheduling games is a joke. I look at the European cup and they have on occasion played games behind closed doors to get them played off and I don't think anyone would have minded too much if the same had been done here in the interest of fairness.

You mean like this one?

https://www.the42.ie/champions-cup-clash-to-be-played-behind-closed-doors-today-3743335-Dec2017/

If I remember correctly, that was done at short notice with very little "contingency" planning.

Quite the farce if you ask me, it's pretty embarrassing. I spend a lot of time depending rugby to my GAA/Soccer loving friends, but there is no defense for this!
    I can't ever imagine the heats in the Olympics or even matches at the Fifa World Cup being cancelled as opposed to re-arranged.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭steves2

If Scotlands game gets cancelled, this will be a World Cup they won't even acknowledge. Such a terrible way for things to be decided. But I think their game will go ahead, it'll be way too dodge if it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Does anyone think it might be the right decision to cancel the games?

Maybe just maybe the organisers weighted up the cost of refunding all the tickets, the negative publicity that will be generated versus the fact that people could die if the games went ahead and then decided for the lesser of two evils?

Do people really think they haven’t considered moving the games or playing them behind closed doors and it’s just not feasible?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

England, France and New Zealand will get two weeks rest before quarters versus their opponents six days.

Yup, as much as we're unlikely to beat NZ on current form, going up against them after 2 weeks rest when we have to play Samoa in that period is pretty ****e.

Maybe just maybe the organisers weighted up the cost of refunding all the tickets, the negative publicity that will be generated versus the fact that people could die if the games went ahead and then decided for the lesser of two evils?

Do people really think they haven’t considered moving the games or playing them behind closed doors and it’s just not feasible?

I don't think they did no. Cancelling the games 48+ hours out shows that to me. There was still all day Thursday and all day Friday to re-plan, re-position etc to an alternate location in a massive country. But they seem to have just gone ah, yeah, not bothered.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

padser wrote: »

I've no sympathy for SCT given the stance Townsend took when it appeared his team might benefit from the hurricane and honestly IRE deserve second place rather than first.
    guapos wrote: »
    What did Townsend say? Any links?
    kenmm wrote: »
    Ye - what was said?

https://twitter.com/EoghanOsullie6/status/1182212665223122944

crisco10 wrote: »
    I don't think they did no. Cancelling the games 48+ hours out shows that to me. There was still all day Thursday and all day Friday to re-plan, re-position etc to an alternate location in a massive country. But they seem to have just gone ah, yeah, not bothered.

That must be it so they never considered it.

The Scots talk a great game about everything, but they are like a FF government and never deliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,726 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

how much organisation is required to find a pitch and get 2 teams on it? It doesn't need spectators, cameras, security - it wouldn't be ideal but it's still a lot better than just cancelling and marking them off as 0-0 draws.

Townsend would appear to have done himself and his team no favours with those comments. He has taken from Scotland's moral high ground in what appears to be an attempt to support the scuppering of Ireland's chances.

Will have to see if there is a clip as there might be more context.

• Advertisement

loyatemu wrote: »
    how much organisation is required to find a pitch and get 2 teams on it? It doesn't need spectators, cameras, security - it wouldn't be ideal but it's still a lot better than just cancelling and marking them off as 0-0 draws.

And your convinced they didn’t consider this because of what?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

And your convinced they didn’t consider this because of what?

If moving the games elsewhere to be played behind closed doors was not an option it is only because sufficient contingency planning was not done before now. The teams involved should be on a plane right now heading somewhere safe to play.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    If moving the games elsewhere to be played behind closed doors was not an option it is only because sufficient contingency planning was not done before now. The teams involved should be on a plane right now heading somewhere safe to play.

Must be easy organizing a World Cup with an incoming super typhoon from the safety of your keyboard.

Also, you would have expect given that this is THE flagship tournament for World Rugby, the acceptable amount of work to complete the tournament would be quite high.

Their approach is more suited to the J3 League.

Finally, if they had actually done contingency planning they would have allowed some slack in the tournament rules re playing on the very same date. This is not a new threat. See puff piece in the Guardian from a year ago
    we are planning right through from what happens if a team hotel is lost, what happens if a training venue is lost, through to what happens if one or more match venues are lost. Where do you relocate matches to, what are the time frames, how does that affect transport, planning, moving teams around? We are working through all those scenarios

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/sep/19/year-japan-rugby-braced-threat-natural-disasters

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Must be easy organizing a World Cup with an incoming super typhoon from the safety of your keyboard.

I could certainly book some flights that take off today or tomorrow from the safety of my keyboard. That would be a start to sorting out this ****show.

I could certainly book some flights that take off today or tomorrow from the safety of my keyboard. That would be a start to sorting out this ****show.

For 100 people plus equipment? And have the necessary security, medical and emergency people in place away from where they will be needed. Sure you could.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

crisco10 wrote: »

Their approach is more suited to the J3 League]

A j3 league match would be switched to the away teams pitch if the home was unplayable and failing that it would be rescheduled. It could be argued that the j3 league would in fact have dealt better with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

There are contingency plans for weather affected knockout games..............so are we being unrealistic to expect them to have something similar for pool games?

BattleCorp wrote: »
    There are contingency plans for weather affected knockout games..............so are we being unrealistic to expect them to have something similar for pool games?

Yea.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 40,967 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Yea.

rubbish

this is the pinnacle rugby competition held every 4 years.

ANY contingency to have the games played is better than none.

The whole idea of contingency is that you DONT have to be organising them 2 days out from a game.

Advertisement