Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Optilase - higher prescription for a year before surgery?

Options
  • 01-10-2019 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

A question for anyone with information on the subject!

I'm in my early 20s and I've recently had a consultation about laser eye surgery at Optilase.

I was given the two different eye drops on the day - to dilate and to relax my eye muscles and we went through all the tests. The optometrist told me that my vision was not stable enough for surgery at the moment and the vision I had after the relaxant drops would be roughly how I'd be seeing normally after 4-5 years. I'm right on the edge of eligibility for PRK with my corneas being thin and astigmatism in one eye being on the cusp of how far Optilase are willing to correct.

So here's the dilemma:

The optometrist said I can wait 4-5 years at my current prescription and allow my optician to slowly build up my prescription to full strength as my eyesight deteriorates and then go for surgery

OR

After speaking with the surgeon, they told me I could use the higher full strength prescription glasses for 12 months. The prescription is quite a jump but they said if I can handle it, I'd be suitable for surgery next year.

I'm leaning to go through with the second option, but if everything goes wrong or I become ineligible after a year then I'll have worsened my vision for no good reason.

I'd be very grateful for any advice or info on similar experiences.
    I'm honestly lost as I don't know anyone who has had laser eye surgery before.

Advertisement