Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Green Christmas

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I bought an artificial tree about 30 years ago. I bought lights and baubles, tinsel etc at the same time. I’m still using the same stuff bar replacement lights. I think that’s pretty green! I only buy presents for my children. Having struggled for years to keep them fed and sheltered, I was not going to waste precious money on people who have more.

We have not given gifts for many years. Instead I make hand made cards and enclose a small hand made angel, with all my warmest wishes. This year I hope to include all my fellow islanders.

Spreading the love costs so little and is what Christmas surely is .Love for folk and love for our world ….. All my decoration here are outside, facing the road to wish Christmas to all who pass by and I have owned almost all of them for many years so they comfort me too

Making lasting traditions trumps buying new stuff ! And is a vivid glorious green

There's some very cute wooden toys coming into Aldi on Thursday. There's a baking set with mixer and weighing scales and cupcakes and eggs that break in half etc. (16 pieces). Very adorable looking. There's smoothie sets and afternoon tea sets etc all between 16 and 20 pieces. And there's wooden play food like milk, yoghurt, jam etc. Even these days kids still love setting up a play shop.

Edited.. oh I see there's a wooden cash register too. This stuff is seriously cute!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Thanks so much for posting that! My nephew loves all that kind of stuff so I’m going to get him the smoothie maker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

My grandchildren have been getting mostly wooden toys for the past few years. There's a great variety available, including in Aldi. They certainly last longer and take more abuse.

We've stopped gift wrapping as much as possible too, as most of it is not recyclable. Brown paper wrapping is fine too. And why do parents now insist on wrapping the gifts Santa leaves? Santa never wraps presents.

It's important to balance being green with not spoiling the fun and magic, especially for the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,183 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

My grandchildren have been getting mostly wooden toys for the past few years. There's a great variety available, including in Aldi. They certainly last longer and take more abuse.

We've stopped gift wrapping as much as possible too, as most of it is not recyclable. Brown paper wrapping is fine too. And why do parents now insist on wrapping the gifts Santa leaves? Santa never wraps presents.

It's important to balance being green with not spoiling the fun and magic, especially for the kids.

I never heard of Santa gifts not being wrapped until I posted on Boards.

• Advertisement

I never heard of Santa gifts not being wrapped until I posted on Boards.

They never used to be. It seems to have drifted in from American TV and films.

We always had allotted spots on the sofa or chairs in the sitting room and Santa left to toys there. The tradition has carried on to the current generation.

They never used to be. It seems to have drifted in from American TV and films.

We always had allotted spots on the sofa or chairs in the sitting room and Santa left to toys there. The tradition has carried on to the current generation.

I have asked older relatives about this who had Santa growing up and their presents were always wrapped.
    When I told people about Santa presents not being wrapped they wouldn't believe me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I have asked older relatives about this who had Santa growing up and their presents were always wrapped.
    When I told people about Santa presents not being wrapped they wouldn't believe me.

Ours were never wrapped when I was a kid in the '70s. But they were some time later in the' 80's

Ours were never wrapped (80's, 90's). Like Srameen, we all had allocated spots on sofas and chairs etc.

Sorry, I didn't mean to derail this thread. I think this debate has being on other threads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Here's a list of vintage Christmas jumpers (or ones made from recycled vintage clothing) for those who are interested!

https://www.image.ie/fashion/vintage-christmas-jumpers-161365

I have a couple of such jumpers which get routinely reused on a cyclical basis.

Always admired the one worn by the Vicar of Dibley. One of the ones on your link reminded me of it

the-christmas-lunch-incident.jpg

To all the humbugs - bah! ;)

Sorry, I didn't mean to derail this thread. I think this debate has being on other threads.

I don't think it's derailed. What could be greener than Santa not wasting paper on gifts, when the kids just rip it to shreds anyway?

I love wrapping gifts. I make a real effort for our nieces in particular because they really appreciate it and I love the praise. :pac: But brown paper with a lovely ribbon looks amazing, and Santa definitely didn't have access to wrapping paper. At 34, I still have a designated spot on the couch for my Santa gifts.

At 34, I still have a designated spot on the couch for my Santa gifts.

:D
    I'm approaching 76 and still have my same spot from when our kids were small. Christmas morning wouldn't be the same if my gifts weren't sitting there.

It's often debated as to which is more environmentally friendly, a real or artificial Christmas tree. Apparently, unless you are planting out the real tree afterwards, it's better to use an artificial one provided you use it for close to ten years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Jude13

I'd love to see the source of that info.

"carbon footprint of a 2m-tall artificial tree, which is estimated to be 40kg of CO2. This means you would have to reuse your artificial tree for 12 years to make it greener than a real tree that was burned." source: https://www.sciencefocus.com/planet-earth/is-it-more-environmentally-friendly-to-buy-a-fake-christmas-tree-or-a-real-one/

That's only if you burn the real one each year. I am dubious about the calculation of 40kg, I work quite a bit in Natural resources (oil & gas) and to locate the source of the oil, get the oil out of the ground, to refine it, to transport it to China for the plastic tree to be made, the energy going in to production, packaging, shipping from China to say Ireland, the thousands of years to biodegrade. Seems low.

In saying that due to the climate here we have a fake one which I am not happy about, however throwing it away would make it worse.

The greenest tree is a real one bought as local as possible (source: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/26/business/energy-environment/fake-christmas-tree-vs-real-tree.html)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Jude13 wrote: »
    I'd love to see the source of that info.

"carbon footprint of a 2m-tall artificial tree, which is estimated to be 40kg of CO2. This means you would have to reuse your artificial tree for 12 years to make it greener than a real tree that was burned." source: https://www.sciencefocus.com/planet-earth/is-it-more-environmentally-friendly-to-buy-a-fake-christmas-tree-or-a-real-one/

That's only if you burn the real one each year. I am dubious about the calculation of 40kg, I work quite a bit in Natural resources (oil & gas) and to locate the source of the oil, get the oil out of the ground, to refine it, to transport it to China for the plastic tree to be made, the energy going in to production, packaging, shipping from China to say Ireland, the thousands of years to biodegrade. Seems low.

In saying that due to the climate here we have a fake one which I am not happy about, however throwing it away would make it worse.

The greenest tree is a real one bought as local as possible (source: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/26/business/energy-environment/fake-christmas-tree-vs-real-tree.html)

Would many people burn their tree? I chop mine up and it goes in the brown bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Jude13

Exactly, I didn't even know it was a thing. I guess they wanted to see how bad a real tree could be so there would be no holes to pick in its carbon footprint.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Jude13 wrote: »
    Exactly, I didn't even know it was a thing. I guess they wanted to see how bad a real tree could be so there would be no holes to pick in its carbon footprint.

Proves the point you always have to look at who is providing you with information and what is their agenda.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Ours were never wrapped (80's, 90's). Like Srameen, we all had allocated spots on sofas and chairs etc.

Same for me. Unwrapped and allocated sofa spot.

• Advertisement

I was thinking about using brown paper to wrap my gifts this year and adding my own designs just in black pen or marker. But will it still be recyclable if I've drawn on it? This feels like such a dumb question but my brain goes on strike at this time every month ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mlem123

Most of the time ours were unwrapped and but placed into cloth sacks that were reused every year! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,119 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Its only thinking back I'm second guessing myself. I always remembered santa gifts as not being wrapped & we do the same for our kids, never wrap them, but I'm starting to wonder was there a few years they were? Oddly I'm not 100% sure, but would still err on the side of unwrapped & always in their own separate little piles in set locations in the living room floor/furniture.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

There's some very cute wooden toys coming into Aldi on Thursday. There's a baking set with mixer and weighing scales and cupcakes and eggs that break in half etc. (16 pieces). Very adorable looking. There's smoothie sets and afternoon tea sets etc all between 16 and 20 pieces. And there's wooden play food like milk, yoghurt, jam etc. Even these days kids still love setting up a play shop.

Edited.. oh I see there's a wooden cash register too. This stuff is seriously cute!

My sister sent me live updates from Aldi this morning where it was apparently mayhem as grown adults fought over vanity tables and shouted at staff members because the toys weren't available in pink. The magic of Christmas, guys. Still, at least people were interested in wooden toys. :D

My sister sent me live updates from Aldi this morning where it was apparently mayhem as grown adults fought over vanity tables and shouted at staff members because the toys weren't available in pink. The magic of Christmas, guys. Still, at least people were interested in wooden toys. :D

Haha well I had to restrain myself from buying them since none of the kids on my list are in the target age group! They were so gorgeous though, not surprised they're such a hit.

The latest Tiger catalogue has a bunch of paint your own wooden decorations. Nice activity to do with the kids in the run up to Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I'm late to this thread but a couple of comments:

1 - Santa never wrapped our presents back in the late 70's/early 80's. Two piles left on the floor - one for me and one for my brother - was normally fairly easy to figure out - the dolly/barbie stuff was mine and the action men stuff was my brothers

2 - Christmas jumpers - I tend to buy a new one every year, but it get's added to the collection after. I wear them every Friday to work in Dec as it's casual Friday and it annoys at least one of my colleagues the first Friday in Dec :D:D:D plus we always have other days when we're encouraged to wear them and the odd days around Christmas/New Year are casual days, plus I wear them at weekends etc so if I just had one it would be manky. Each one probably get's 3/4 outings per year, so I don't consider them to be a throw away item.

3 - When did wrapping paper become non-recyclable? I thought repak encouraged it to be thrown in with the recycling every year unless there was glitter on it? I have a special box with loads of rolls that I pick up in the sales every year, so I will be using it until that much is gone as it would be a complete waste not to use it now. I especially avoid the stuff with glitter because of the mess glitter creates and the fact that it's not recyclable

4 - This is my 13th Christmas with my artificial tree and it has good life left in it yet - all the same decs, with some new additions - but nothing has really got thrown out over the years apart from a handful of accidental breakages.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,119 ✭✭✭✭DvB

chuckles30 wrote: »
    I'm late to this thread but a couple of comments:

1 - Santa never wrapped our presents back in the late 70's/early 80's. Two piles left on the floor - one for me and one for my brother - was normally fairly easy to figure out - the dolly/barbie stuff was mine and the action men stuff was my brothers

2 - Christmas jumpers - I tend to buy a new one every year, but it get's added to the collection after. I wear them every Friday to work in Dec as it's casual Friday and it annoys at least one of my colleagues the first Friday in Dec :D:D:D plus we always have other days when we're encouraged to wear them and the odd days around Christmas/New Year are casual days, plus I wear them at weekends etc so if I just had one it would be manky. Each one probably get's 3/4 outings per year, so I don't consider them to be a throw away item.

3 - When did wrapping paper become non-recyclable? I thought repak encouraged it to be thrown in with the recycling every year unless there was glitter on it? I have a special box with loads of rolls that I pick up in the sales every year, so I will be using it until that much is gone as it would be a complete waste not to use it now. I especially avoid the stuff with glitter because of the mess glitter creates and the fact that it's not recyclable

4 - This is my 13th Christmas with my artificial tree and it has good life left in it yet - all the same decs, with some new additions - but nothing has really got thrown out over the years apart from a handful of accidental breakages.

Reverse the genders in point 1 & the number of years we have our 2 artificial trees (6) & thats spot on for us too!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Advertisement