Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Centre Snorkel for swimming leg of Triathlon

• 16-09-2019 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭

I wanted to check if anyone is ware of sprint triathlon events in Ireland that allow participants to use a centre snorkel for the swim leg?

I am a beginner and have always wanted to try a short distance/mini triathlon.

I have heard it mentioned that it could be possible if you agree that your time will not be recorded and you start at the back of the field behind all competitors. This may seem pointless to some but I would gladly agree to these conditions if it meant I could participate.

I know that in the long run I need to learn how to swim correctly without a snorkel but for the moment I am reliant on a centre snorkel for swimming.

I appreciate that it is technically "cheating" but the thrill of taking part would be worth the forefit for me.

Any insight on this will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭griffin100

Why don’t you do a pool based triathlon / tri a tri where you can rest whenever you want?

You won’t be allowed swim with a snorkel as races don’t have enough safety boats to mind people who can’t actually swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Patsy167

griffin100 wrote: »
    Why don’t you do a pool based triathlon / tri a tri where you can rest whenever you want?

You won’t be allowed swim with a snorkel as races don’t have enough safety boats to mind people who can’t actually swim.

Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely check out pool based triathlon / tri a tri events. Never knew these existed!

Patsy167 wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely check out pool based triathlon / tri a tri events. Never knew these existed!

The pool based triathlon sounds like a good starting point for me. I've had a search online for events in Ireland. Try as I might, I can't see any past or upcoming pool based events.

Any ideas on where these might be held?

In the meantime, I'll drop an email to Triathlon Ireland to see if they can point me in the direction of one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Patsy167 wrote: »
    The pool based triathlon sounds like a good starting point for me. I've had a search online for events in Ireland. Try as I might, I can't see any past or upcoming pool based events.

Any ideas on where these might be held?

In the meantime, I'll drop an email to Triathlon Ireland to see if they can point me in the direction of one.

The TI calendar won't be published until later in 2019 for 2020. The Triathlon season runs from April to early September. Pool swims in April/May and then open water for rest of the season. Duathlons start January and come fast and thick until the Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭griffin100

http://trilogy.ie/tri-laois.html

This is an early season race with a 400m and750m pool swim. It’s a really well organised race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

have a look at naas tri club they should have one in a couple of weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭NeedsTraining

Patsy167

There is a pool based triathlon in Naas in just under 2 weeks.

https://naastriclub.com/category/killashee-sprint/

It might be worth a go. Give yourself the feel for the racing atmosphere and then work on your swim over the winter and spring.

Best of luck in the race if you do it and also in your training.
    We were all beginners once upon a time, so lots of advise (sometimes unwanted advise :) ) around these pages.

NT.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭cuculainn

Nenagh do a pool based Tri as well early in the year. At least they used to. thats where i did my first tri. really nice event to start off with

Patsy167

There is a pool based triathlon in Naas in just under 2 weeks.

https://naastriclub.com/category/killashee-sprint/

It might be worth a go. Give yourself the feel for the racing atmosphere and then work on your swim over the winter and spring.

Best of luck in the race if you do it and also in your training.
    We were all beginners once upon a time, so lots of advise (sometimes unwanted advise :) ) around these pages.

NT.

Thank You very much for this - Just dropped the race organisers a mail with a few questions. This looks to be exactly what I've been looking for.

Advertisement