Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How do preschools make any money?

• 05-09-2019 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Probably missing a trick here, but just read today that preschools get a grant of approx just 80 euro per child per week. So if say a preschool has 20 kids, that's just around 6000 euro per month. But then they've got to pay what at least 3 or 4 staff out of that (say 3000+ a month) plus another 1000 or so for premises, plus other costs. I know many also charge for little extras, but given that 2 years is now universally free I just can't see how they can make any money, for a lot of hard work and massive responsibility. What am I missing?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Why would they need 5 people (themselves and 4 staff) for 20 children?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Couple of points in this, the €80 is just for 3 hours, there's nothing to stop the school have 2 sessions daily, 1 morning and 1 evening, or doing normal childminding services out of hours.

Assuming a teacher can teach 10 students at a time, that's €80 per child for 38 weeks, that's €60,800 of an income and 14 weeks off, considering minimum wage is ~€20,000 a year for 52 weeks I think there's a great way to make money even if you are paying a lot of rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Cameron326

Fair points, I thought the teacher per student ratio was lower eg around seven. Yeah I guess an income of 40-50k isn’t bad, though it’s a lot of risk/responsibility involved. Guess I’m just disappointed to learn how badly paid preschool teachers are.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,032 ✭✭✭✭neris

The ratio is 1 teacher to 11 pre school children. The schemes funded by govt only run 38 weeks a year. Sept-June same as primary school calander. Extras cant be charged for anymore so things like arts & crafts supplies, stationary etc all have to be supplied by the service. If 1 you have some one running a small school out of their converted garage or house they have to have another adult near by who can be called upon in case of emergency. Then you have the normal overheads of business, heat lights insurance equipment. The small schools struggle to make money and in a lot of cases the person rrunning it is making very little and may even be out of pocket at years end to run the service

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Many playschools just make enough money to pay staff, they are very underfunded.

• Advertisement
Advertisement