Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How is this thug allowed to roam free

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

I don't think the judiciary could be counted as progressive civil liberties people. There isn't some snowflake, SJW group or whatever Americanism the kids are using these days making laws and handing down sentencing.
    This kind of propaganda lets the real culprits off the hook IMO.

I disagree. The Judiciary is exposed to the cultural influences of the Civil Liberties lobby and its imported American concepts such as "privilege". For evidence just look at how it has become normal in Irish courts to reduce sentencing for non-national and minority criminals on the grounds that they "will find prison more difficult", effectively racial discrimination in sentencing.

In fact the Irish Penal Reform Trust and the Irish Council for Civil Liberties are basically groups of lawyers. These are people in the same profession, social circles and even cliques as our judges and to suggest that some impermeable barrier exists between them is risible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

recedite wrote: »
    If he was 18 in 2017 as it says in the article, he must be around 20 now.
    If...

The reporting there is off. Is he 30 something or not? If so was his crime 2017 or 2007? The caption says he was 18 in the picture, in 2017. The text says he is about 30 years old now. This doesn’t add up unless the photo is from a decade earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

The indo with the same picture says 2007.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/pictured-irelands-most-dangerous-criminal-walks-free-38454949.html

Not that he spent 13 years in jail from 2007 because he was out and about in 2013.

You know those guys who want a rehabilitation prison service - this guy isn’t rehabilitatedso why is he out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭golfball37

Because this is our justice system. Regardless of how violent or how much of a probability there is, they will be left out. He's been left out a year early from a 9 year sentence he got in 2011. With over 250 P19's, it's unfathomable to think he is getting early release... The sooner someone offs this scum the better. And yes, he's scum. Read the article and you will see why. Admitting he deliberately tried to go for organs on the second stabbing victim, and would have only 'his bird got in the way'. Jesus suffering christ he should be locked up for life or put down.

Why wasn't he convicted of attempted murder ? Its a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Boggles wrote: »
    So no 30/40/50 years without parole or full life in prison. Straight to Death? Ohhh Edgy!!!

Which Utopians have you studied that have such laws?

Well it would be part and parcel of a whole tightening of sentences, if the chap managed to get to double digits in my ideal justice system, he would have already spent 20 years inside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Would any of the death sentence hardshaws around here be willing to take up the role of executioner themselves if their weird fantasy were ever to become a reality?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭facehugger99

mad muffin wrote: »
    I’m sure there’s an uninhabited island off Ireland. They could send scum like that there. They could fend for themselves. Once a month a drone drops off a crate of supplies. No need for guards. They could have drones patrolling the perimeter. Kill on sight anyone attempting to escape.

Every 12 months we could have a Fortnite/Hunger Games style competition, filmed by drones/CCTV cameras where the last man standing gets released.

It would be a ratings winner for RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Would any of the death sentence hardshaws around here be willing to take up the role of executioner themselves if their weird fantasy were ever to become a reality?

Or to flip your concept on its head, would any of those defending the status quo be willing to live next door to these career criminals left free by the system?

Anyway, there's plenty of room for policy between death sentences for all and letting murderous thugs free to commit crimes with impunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

I'd do it, for free. Then I'd sue my boss for slave labour.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

What the sentence for similar crimes across Europe?

I can only compare it with what i read in The Netherlands.
    And it is really not much better there.
    Liberals in judges seats all over the place, institutions that think they can "fix" everybody. prisoners in "treatment" letting out during the weeknds and just nt bothering coming back.

That then leads to cases like Micheal Panhuis. A guy who when aged 20 raped 2 16 and 17 year old girls, had several violent robberies on his rapsheet.
    He was sentenced to 11 years in jail in 2011 (Court summary, copy\paste in google translate if you really want to know what hese girls had to go through)

But they had "fixed" him and let him out after only 6 years.
    Shortly after his release he raped and killed a 25 year old woman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,524 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Well it would be part and parcel of a whole tightening of sentences, if the chap managed to get to double digits in my ideal justice system, he would have already spent 20 years inside.

The point remains why sentence them straight to death after a accumulation, why not sentence them to full life inside?

Me thinks in your ideal justice system you just want to indulge in a bit of execution fantasy.

Anyway you should move to a country that mimics your ideal justice system, I image you will love all the social freedoms they offer.

inforfun wrote: »
    I can only compare it with what i read in The Netherlands.
    And it is really not much better there.
    Liberals in judges seats all over the place, institutions that think they can "fix" everybody. prisoners in "treatment" letting out during the weeknds and just nt bothering coming back.

That then leads to cases like Micheal Panhuis. A guy who when aged 20 raped 2 16 and 17 year old girls, had several violent robberies on his rapsheet.
    He was sentenced to 11 years in jail in 2011 (Court summary, copy\paste in google translate if you really want to know what hese girls had to go through)

But they had "fixed" him and let him out after only 6 years.
    Shortly after his release he raped and killed a 25 year old woman.

Meh.

Ireland and the Netherlands are safe countries relative to the rest of the world.

You can always pick a case and scare monger to your hearts content.

The reality is proper rehabilitation lowers the crime rate, the alternative doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Meh.

Ireland and the Netherlands are safe countries relative to the rest of the world.

The reality is proper rehabilitation lowers the crime rate, the alternative doesn't.

Why compare to the rest of the world? Our housing crisis isnt bad compared to the rest of the world either. Or our health system. Or anything at all really

Why compare to the rest of the world?

What would you compare it with, an apple?

The user offered a perspective from another country because another asked for it.

You'll have to take it up with them I'm afraid.

Also I'm pretty sure our housing and health system rate relatively poorer when compared with similar nations.

Bizarre, comparisons are no no in your mind. Bubble?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Meh.

That is why i dont go holidaying in Yemen.
    But this ****ing **** could be on one of his stab and rob trips next time i am in the city centre.

The reality is that this **** has done nothing that even remotely defends the decision to leave him out early.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

What would you compare it with, an apple?

The user offered a perspective from another country because another asked for it.

You'll have to take it up with them I'm afraid.

Back to the subject of this thread boggles. Do you think it was a good idea to let this guy out into society? How would you manage this situation?

inforfun wrote: »
    That is why i dont go holidaying in Yemen.

I imagine you wouldn't.

But have you been to the States?

I have several times, far more dangerous country then both.

Far tougher justice laws too.

Go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

I imagine you wouldn't.

But have you been to the States?

I have several times, far more dangerous country then both.

Far tougher justice laws too.

Go figure.

Why put anyone in jail

• Registered Users Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

NewMan1982 wrote: »
    Time to start hassling your local TDs on tougher sentencing and more prisons. If enough of us moan they will see it as a way to get votes.

Them same tds should be jailed along with johnny the haircut.
    Only difference is the td will be better dressed when he robs you

splinter65 wrote: »
    Back to the subject of this thread boggles. Do you think it was a good idea to let this guy out into society? How would you manage this situation?

Good idea or bad idea has nothing to do with it.

He was found guilty and sentenced to X amount.

He is now out.

What do you want me or anybody else to do about it?

Do you think there should be a pre-crime division in Ireland? :confused:

• Advertisement

Why put anyone in jail

To atone for their crimes, obviously.

That was an easy one, next?

To atone for their crimes, obviously.

That was an easy one, next?

Would you have johnny the haircut mind your house when you were away on holidays if he was local to you boggles and you knew him.

Would you have johnny the haircut mind your house when you were away on holidays if he was local to you boggles and you knew him.

No.

No.

Dead right lad.cos once a bad bastard always a bad bastard.hed rob you blind and trash the place.
    The likes of that lad should be neutered by a vet in prison and breed them out of existence.an electronic tag then linked to gps to track his movements and if a crime is reported and he was nearby jail him again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

Why compare to the rest of the world? Our housing crisis isnt bad compared to the rest of the world either. Or our health system. Or anything at all really

What planet would you prefer to compare Ireland to?

If you like, you could compare Irish crime and recidivism rates with other wealthy western countries, one with a very punitive criminal justice system (e.g. the USA) and one with a criminal justice system focused on reducing repeat offending (e.g. Norway), to see which country has the lowest crime rates and the lowest reoffending rates. Ireland should adopt the methods used by the country that is most successful in reducing crime rates and reoffending rates. That would be the most beneficial approach, assuming that the overall aim of the Irish criminal justice system is to reduce criminality and minimise reoffending rates, rather than an atavistic desire for punishment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭knockers84

Dead right lad.cos once a bad bastard always a bad bastard.hed rob you blind and trash the place.
    The likes of that lad should be neutered by a vet in prison and breed them out of existence.an electronic tag then linked to gps to track his movements and if a crime is reported and he was nearby jail him again

Hello Adolf

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

I will always be in favour of rehabilitation over just adding long sweeping sentences. Thing is, rehabilitation doesn't satisfy the savage human need for "eye for an eye" revenge.

We could give the electric chair to multiple offenders. It's not a deterrent. People are still human. They'll still act impulsively and out of desperation and greed. Longer sentencing isn't a deterrent. Our government knows this. You think in the US who have the most incarcerated population in world have reduced crime because of long sentencing and death sentencing? **** no. You end up with a growing prison population and tax payers have to pay for. So how do you pay for that? You then privatize it. Then what happens? Judges start locking people up because it's profitable. Yes, that sounds like a slippery slope argument but it's happened all ready in the U.S.

Rehabilitate people. Not everyone is going to going to react ideally to rehabilitation but it beats the alternative of just locking everyone up for longer out of some fear that one of these boogeymen will live down the street from you and then come after you. I mean the odds of that.

Longer sentencing is like trying to put out a fire with petrol. Rehabilitative sentencing is at least attempting to correct the individual from recidivism.

Would I like this guy living down the road from me? Not really. But I don't like half the people around me anyway. I could get knocked down by drunk driver tomorrow but I still live my life.

This guy has been psycho-analyzed by professionals. I'm sure he's completed some behavioral therapy. He'll be subject to inspection from the Gards and will be under supervision. He did the time. He's out. People just have to deal with it. If there's an issue, call the gardai. Hopefully, he can turn his life around and he doesn't injure or cause harm to anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

If I was minister for justice, all these Jimmy the scumbag 5 or more conviction types would be treated as patients instead of prisoners.

They’d be involuntary sectioned and controlled using a range of psychiatric drugs and shock therapies. They’d be assigned to wards instead of cells and any misbehaviour will result in sedation and restraint. Failing rehabilitation they’d be given lobotomies. People like this really can’t control themselves or think about the consequences of their actions. They’ll lash out or steal within 1 second of the thought entering their head.

In the 1960s the CIA used LSD as a truth serum. They’d get the person high on the drug and threaten to keep them in this psychedelic state forever until they handed over information to them. We could do the exact same thing to modify these scumbags behaviour. Released on licence and if they commit one more criminal act then Jimmy scumbag is committed back to the ward to undergo more treatment.

Of course the UN/EU/FG/FF/PBP/SF and the Nordic countries would defend these people no matter what they do.

If I was minister for justice, all these Jimmy the scumbag 5 or more conviction types would be treated as patients instead of prisoners.

They’d be involuntary sectioned and controlled using a range of psychiatric drugs and shock therapies. They’d be assigned to wards instead of cells and any misbehaviour will result in sedation and restraint. Failing rehabilitation they’d be given lobotomies. People like this really can’t control themselves or think about the consequences of their actions. They’ll lash out or steal within 1 second of the thought entering their head.

In the 1960s the CIA used LSD as a truth serum. They’d get the person high on the drug and threaten to keep them in this psychedelic state forever until they handed over information to them. We could do the exact same thing to modify these scumbags behaviour. Released on licence and if they commit one more criminal act then Jimmy scumbag is committed back to the ward to undergo more treatment.

Of course the UN/EU/FG/FF/PBP/SF and the Nordic countries would defend these people no matter what they do.

Defending lobotomies, bloody fascists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

Ask yourself: Would you like your Mother to be locked in a lift with people that have gone through your treatment or would you prefer your mother to be locked in a lift that have gone through cognitive behavioural therapy and rehabilitative courses. :D

But I think you must be old because your mentality of how to treat people is about 50 years old. Surprised to know what boards is.

Advertisement