Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fly repellent

• 22-07-2019 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

Howdy
    What fly spray do ye find works well??
    I’ve given up on expecting the horse owning public to have a drop of it lying around and this last 2 weeks I’ve been kicked around the place a few times too often for the want of a squirt to keep the horse flys back.

I’m not too worried about it being very long lasting as I’d only need it to work for about an hour till I have the horse shod, but I’d like stuff that’s fairly effective all the same, that keeps the fly away fairly well.

Thanks all

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

We mix equal quantities of dettol, white vinegar and water. Absolutely foul smelling but pretty effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

We put a few fly traps around the field and stables.

You can do what byhookorbycrook says but if you are using it when riding out your tack will stink and so will you. And its not pleasant if you are riding bareback. So whatever mixture you use add something like eucalyptus oil or rosemary oil or something to kill the smell.

I like carr &day &martin citromax and it smells good. Power Phaser works well too but it also smells disgusting.

Also the more you wash them the better.

Edit.
    Sorry i didn't know you were shoeing didn't read the whole post. Jungle fever spray works for humans. My dad uses it. Citromax for the horse its not expensive and it won't make you gag.

I will leave the rest up in case it helps other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭isaos

Thanks for all the tips... :)

What kind of fly traps are you using?

JUNGLE is really effective on us human beings...

• Advertisement

isaos wrote: »

What kind of fly traps are you using?

Red top fly traps and a bite lite h fly trap that cost 90 euro!

I think the red top fly traps are better though.

We got the bite lite one because it was supposed to specifically trap female horse flies the ones that bite.

But the red top ones seem to trap anything and everything and they are cheaper. And the bait is bio degradable.

You can get 4 red top fly traps for like 30 euro. They don't smell great though but its fine for outside.

Just check them regularly cuz if they split ( you leave them out for about 4 weeks) it all goes on the ground and attracts flies.

Also if you put bird feeders etc. They eat the flies :)

Red top fly traps

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/171405523209

Bite lite.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bite-Lite-LLC-Professional-Horsefly-Control/dp/B00T6MS6LI

Thanks! we have birds nesting in the stables but it's obviously not enough to cover the area around it, I'll defo check these red top fly trap!

I've ordered a lightweight zebra rug which is supposed to help. I am kind of cynical. Will let people know.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I had a pony with sweet itch and the only thing i found that worked was to add a scoop of garlic granules to his feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭tvjunki

Have a look at Avon skin so soft original dry oil spray. Seemly the army use it aboard and they rave about it. Stop mosquitoes and ticks etc.
    It has Jajoba oil that is a natural repellent. Some put it on their horses as well as themselves.
    You can use address pal to delivery to Ireland. Does smell nice. Better than the likes of deet etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

I had a pony with sweet itch and the only thing i found that worked was to add a scoop of garlic granules to his feed.

Be careful feeding garlic it contains toxins that have adverse effect on horses which causes anemia.
    https://thehorse.com/110261/should-i-feed-my-horse-garlic-to-repel-insects/

I've used lemon juice and sponged it on. Flies hate it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Kamili wrote: »
    Be careful feeding garlic it contains toxins that have adverse effect on horses which causes anemia.
    https://thehorse.com/110261/should-i-feed-my-horse-garlic-to-repel-insects/

I've used lemon juice and sponged it on. Flies hate it.

He was given one small scoop in his morning feed. By no means enough to do any damage at all. Despite claims made in your link that such a small amount would have a negligible effect as an insect repellant, i would beg to differ as his sweet itch wounds and lumps disappeared completely. It was certainly worth it in my case and i wouldnt hesitate to do it again. I will say though that i have never fed garlic to any other horse or pony as i never saw any need.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Water spay bottle filled with water and a couple of drops each of tea tree and Citronella essential oils. Spray horse couple (avoid eyes etc) of times and leave to dry. Flies fek off fairly quick imo.

Advertisement