Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Ironman 70.3 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

So looking at the Ironman App there were 1738 entered in 2018 & 1556 entered this year going on allocated bib numbers.
    How does that look for the event continuing beyond next year?

Really hope it does as its a great event. I did it both years and loved it.
    The previous Dublin 70.3 didn't interest me because of the bike course and the run through the Phoenix Park.
    I did the Galway 70.3 and there was no comparison in terms of support & atmosphere. The support yesterday was superb and the atmosphere was electric.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

PWEI wrote: »
    Really hope it does as its a great event. I did it both years and loved it.
    The previous Dublin 70.3 didn't interest me because of the bike course and the run through the Phoenix Park.
    I did the Galway 70.3 and there was no comparison in terms of support & atmosphere. The support yesterday was superb and the atmosphere was electric.

I did it both years as well and totally agree...the atmosphere in Dun Laoghaire is fantastic and its a great event. Will be a shame if it got canned.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭S_D

Not a great advert for Irish Ironman events when corks swim was cancelled and almost DL too... What were the chances of that happening!! Its fighting an uphill battle,,, even bringing over some big names Im not sure is enough for DL 2020... who knows.....maybe a changed bike course to encourage more people to enter ...?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 TriNRun

There are so many lakes and rivers in Ireland that are a better gamble for weather, maybe Ironman could look at these options as there is clearly a market for them, maybe 1 event is sustainable , 2 events may be a stretch every year

I think the tough bike course is definitely putting a lot of people off.

When you look at the Dublin 70.3 event, there was roughly 2480 people entered in 2015 and in its final year 2017 it was roughly 1850 which is more than entered Dun Laoghaire in its first year.

Its a shame but I guess a lot of people are more interested in fast times rather than completing challenging courses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Ribs1234

Is there a general push by Ironman to make all their courses worldwide more challenging - particularly the bike? Is the event getting too easy for some?

Ribs1234 wrote: »
    Is there a general push by Ironman to make all their courses worldwide more challenging - particularly the bike? Is the event getting too easy for some?

in Europe and the US and Oz the hot weather is the 4th discipline or variable you have to overcome,in the UK and Ireland we don't usually have hot weather , maybe they trying to make the events in Ireland, Wales and England harder with hills in order to add that 4th variable

I don't think so. If anything they have been making some of their courses easier. Look at IM Hamburg, that was a fairly hilly bike course and then they changed it to a flat fast course.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,355 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I think they were just looking to make it more interesting really, IM Dublin was a fairly straightforward race that was lost in Dublin, a challenging course, with a small town run works better in a lot of places.

Those chasing fast times tend to go to Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

S_D wrote: »
    Not a great advert for Irish Ironman events when corks swim was cancelled and almost DL too... What were the chances of that happening!! Its fighting an uphill battle,,, even bringing over some big names Im not sure is enough for DL 2020... who knows.....maybe a changed bike course to encourage more people to enter ...?[/quote

So you think a contract means nothing....

• Advertisement

Yes that was a conscious decision by ironman a few years ago. if I remember correctly to combat drafting

TriNRun wrote: »
    There are so many lakes and rivers in Ireland that are a better gamble for weather, maybe Ironman could look at these options as there is clearly a market for them, maybe 1 event is sustainable , 2 events may be a stretch every year

The issue is you are making a comment without understanding the very basics of ironman and the cost of setting up a race, so a lake does nothing if the council at the lake does not want to spend money on a race.
    So I guess maybe try to educate yourself a bit on Google how it works I would be surprised if it takes more than 15 min to get some idea

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

Maybe a route like this could work - just did a quick rough draft of a possible looped(2.5 loops) course that Spectators(get to view athletes more often) and athletes themselves(less elevation be it 695m) could benefit from. N11 isn't affected with this route. If it could be used, then even better to stretch out cycle towards Booterstown and reduce to 2 loops.

https://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/2659498852

Now there could be a whole number of reasons that this is not even possible that I don't know of, but I'll let the organisers figure that out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10 SfeD

I think the toughness and the scenery of the bike is the reason why people would travel to Ireland for racing.
    Even for the IM label reputation, I believe they need to keep tough races in their catalog for the Ironman status to mean something.. That's the way this race should be advertised, you are going to complete an epic course, it is very unlikely that you will get a PB but you will not forget that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Maybe a route like this could work - just did a quick rough draft of a possible looped(2.5 loops) course that Spectators(get to view athletes more often) and athletes themselves(less elevation be it 695m) could benefit from. N11 isn't affected with this route. If it could be used, then even better to stretch out cycle towards Booterstown and reduce to 2 loops.

https://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/2659498852

Now there could be a whole number of reasons that this is not even possible that I don't know of, but I'll let the organisers figure that out :D

1000 to 2000 people on a relatively flat two loop course = draftfest.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

SfeD wrote: »
    I think the toughness and the scenery of the bike is the reason why people would travel to Ireland for racing.
    Even for the IM label reputation, I believe they need to keep tough races in their catalog for the Ironman status to mean something.. That's the way this race should be advertised, you are going to complete an epic course, it is very unlikely that you will get a PB but you will not forget that one.

Totally agree...although I was cursing the gods as I slugged up the R759 past Lough Tay on Sunday, I do think the event would lose something if the bike was altered to avoid the Wicklow mountains

SfeD wrote: »
    YEah my only long distance is Austria, a notoriously fast course. If I was ever to go again it'd be Lanzarote (notoriously tough course). You need different options.

EC1000 wrote: »

Think there's a pun in the name of the route ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 SfeD

Don't tell me.. I even cursed the gods on the slight ascent before DL.. :-)

peter kern wrote: »
    The issue is you are making a comment without understanding the very basics of ironman and the cost of setting up a race, so a lake does nothing if the council at the lake does not want to spend money on a race.
    So I guess maybe try to educate yourself a bit on Google how it works I would be surprised if it takes more than 15 min to get some idea
    stop trolling!
    I've probably racked up more ironman events branded and unbranded than you have even considered doing, I'm up to at least 8 now, the frankfurt region alone have a branded ironman and unbranded half ironman on a lake and a river respectively , anything is possible , you can do one before you get too obese

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭griffin100

stop trolling!
    I've probably racked up more ironman events branded and unbranded than you have even considered doing, I'm up to at least 8 now, the frankfurt region alone have a branded ironman and unbranded half ironman on a lake and a river respectively , anything is possible , you can do one before you get too obese

Haha now that’s a trolling post.

Yes that was a conscious decision by ironman a few years ago. if I remember correctly to combat drafting

nonsense again, where's the link that says this? why is it that the German courses we already spoke of are not overly hilly still? The best way to combat drafting is to increase the draft zone to about 20 metres

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

EC1000 wrote: »

True - I've seen it first hand in lots of flat races actually - I tried thou ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,977 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

stop trolling!

I repeat a comment made above, google a little before responding.

Peter correct me if Im wrong or add to the list if you like Australia, Western Australia, Sligo half Ironman, Lost sheep, Barcelona, Lost Sheep, Hardman, Frenchman, Sheephaven... (only counting halves and full)

stop trolling!

Fair play for your sporting achievments.

But again for a branded race the most important factor is that the council is willing to invest a good amount off money to hold a race in their area. So havering a lake and no willingness to pay good bugs to get an m dot races to that Leake does you nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

I repeat a comment made above, google a little before responding.

Peter correct me if Im wrong or add to the list if you like Australia, Western Australia, Sligo half Ironman, Lost sheep, Barcelona, Lost Sheep, Hardman, Frenchman, Sheephaven... (only counting halves and full)

You can add the Norseman too.

Marty Bird wrote: »

and paddywhackeryman

Marty Bird wrote: »

I havent done that but I did a quick count I have finished 11 and 4 sub 9 hours.

But none in rivers or lakes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

I havent done that but I did a quick count I have finished 11 and 4 sub 9 hours.

I don’t why I thought you had. :confused:

Advertisement