Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gemma not taking enforced retirement too well

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Suttree wrote: »
    Luke 22:19 - you're meant to believe you engage in an act of cannibalism every Sunday.

Yeah but no one takes the bible literally a lot of Muslims take the Quran literally.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,405 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Yeah but no one takes the bible literally

Proof please
    a lot of Muslims take the Quran literally.

And proof for this also please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Harvey Weinstein

Proof please

I love it when progressives reveal their innate racism and Ultra-Colonialist mindset by denying the religiosity and religious identity of Muslims

Proof please

Most Western countries are predominantly Christian but yet we are ruled by relatively secular governments

Most predominantly Islamic countries are governed by Islamic teachings, people don't generally wear religious clothing, religious body modifications, fasting during Ramadan, refraining from haram acts like drinking alcohol, money lending and gambling and praying five times a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Harvey Weinstein

"half or more Muslims say there is only one correct way to understand the teachings of Islam"

That qualifies as 'a lot'

Screen-Shot-2019-06-23-at-15-09-14.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Can we get back on topic please? The discussion is about Gemma O’Doherty. You can discuss immigration and other topics all you want as long as it’s linked to Gemma O’Doherty.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Racist card getting played way too much.... Lost all meaning....

If you can't debate with someone just call them racist

Im fully for balanced debate and equal status etc but I'm sick to death of hearing oh you're a racist etc etc.... Wouldn't mind if it was actually racist things that were done or said but now if you say no to someone they call you racist....

I'm sick to death of paying extortionate tax, tax, tax and more tax just to pay for those that won't look after themselves and contribute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

That would be the belief by many Muslims

How come you suddenly give credence to people you despise?
    How do you define "many"?
    Many Christians believe that Catholics are evil.
    Many Christians believe that machines are evil.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Trump Is Right

It's just a sign that the liberals are starting to lose the battle for hearts and minds in society... the average (non-political) person on the street is starting to open their eyes and see their illogical way of thinking on many important issues! And particularly the way many on the left prefer to stick their heads in the sand, rather than acknowledge obvious problems... because those problems clash with their rose-tinted world view. ;)

I do believe voices like Gemma O'Doherty have wider support than many people realise. It's just that it's currently still unfashionable to admit this publicly for many people. (which is why the anonymity of the internet is so fundamental to growing societal movements - allowing them to be supported largely anonymously until they grow and become more socially acceptable)

By ridiculing ideas and name-calling like "racist" etc, the left are just hoping to keep certain movements as being unfashionable for as long as possible. But they are losing these battles... you can see this with Trump, UKIP / Brexit etc... most people don't stop supporting the things they are agree with just because someone laughs at them or ridicules them... ultimately you just push people into the shadows, where they become even more entrenched in their views and group together with others who share those views!

Childish tactics don't change people's minds. Only healthy debates and open discussions can do this... :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

It's just a sign that the liberals are starting to lose the battle for hearts and minds in society... the average (non-political) person on the street is starting to open their eyes and see their illogical way of thinking on many important issues! And particularly the way many on the left prefer to stick their heads in the sand, rather than acknowledge obvious problems... because those problems clash with their rose-tinted world view. ;)

I do believe voices like Gemma O'Doherty have wider support than many people realise. It's just that it's currently still unfashionable to admit this publicly for many people. (which is why the anonymity of the internet is so fundamental to growing societal movements - allowing them to be supported largely anonymously until they grow and become more socially acceptable)

By ridiculing ideas and name-calling like "racist" etc, the left are just hoping to keep certain movements as being unfashionable for as long as possible. But they are losing these battles... you can see this with Trump, UKIP / Brexit etc... most people don't stop supporting the things they are agree with just because someone laughs at them or ridicules them... ultimately you just push people into the shadows, where they become even more entrenched in their views and group together with others who share those views!

Childish tactics don't change people's minds. Only healthy debates and open discussions can do this... :)

That's racist. End of conversation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Her recent election performance does not bare this out, and the "silent majority", mentality is fantasist, conspiratorial thinking. Believe what you want to believe, but clinging to the idea that vast, silent throngs share your thoughts but are cowed by some oppressive culture is presumptuous at best. For someone pleading rational discussion, it's simplistic and thoroughly irrational to transplant your own beliefs onto everyone else for the sake of convincing yourself as to the righteousness of your cause; it's a self-perpetuating echo chamber. No poll, election, voxpop or anything suggests there is some disgruntled mass waiting for their political messiah, and Boards sure as heck ain't a normalised barometer.

I'm sick to death of paying extortionate tax, tax, tax and more tax just to pay for those that won't look after themselves and contribute.

Exactly and so I am I and most people but it seems that a racist viewpoint nowadays if your talking about those who don't contribute who are not Irish or settled.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ah so we've come to the libertarian phase of the discussion, where the pleading is about paying tax for [insert cause, people,industry]. Paying tax for refugees, or junkies, or theatres, sports or whatever social outcast or edge case rankles.

That's the social contract, that's how social democracies work and we don't get to choose how our tax is used. No functional democracy gives its citizens a choice on taxation direction because that'd clearly result in total disaster. "Let's create a libertarian utopia!" said no revolutionary, ever.

I'm happy to see some of the tax kitty go to humanitarian causes and helping refugees because - despite what the chronic moaners say - Ireland is a desirable, stable, prosperous country people want to move and settle down in.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Ah so we've come to the libertarian phase of the discussion, where the pleading is about paying tax for [insert cause, people,industry]. Paying tax for refugees, or junkies, or theatres, sports or whatever social outcast or edge case rankles.

That's the social contract, that's how social democracies work and we don't get to choose how our tax is used. No functional democracy gives its citizens a choice on taxation direction because that'd clearly result in total disaster. "Let's create a libertarian utopia!" said no revolutionary, ever.

I'm happy to see some of the tax kitty go to humanitarian causes and helping refugees because - despite what the chronic moaners say - Ireland is a desirable, stable, prosperous country people want to move and settle down in.

Pitty about the health service, housing sector and general infrastructure outside Dublin though.

If only we had more money

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,153 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Yeah. Mad. Almost as is if the system as a whole works. Always room for improvement, mind but there's a lot to be thankful for.

I've no idea why people are so keen to import America's social problems. I really don't. People who share videos of Gemma and her ilk don't seem to care about anything, really beyond just sharing the content and trying to agitate people. It's rather sad.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Pitty about the health service, housing sector and general infrastructure outside Dublin though.

If only we had more money

Your point being what? That if we stopped funding, say, the refugee centres, or the Abbey, - or whatever it is person X feels is a total waste of money (for me it's the gas, so we all have our blindspots I guess) - it'll magically find its way ti our health service? Please. That's literally not how economies work and if you think that the health services problems can be traced back to whatever it is we spend on the immigration service, then we ain't going to agree on much here. Someone will be along shortly with a big red bus and an enticingly big number painted on the side...

Your point being what? That if we stopped funding, say, the refugee centres, or the Abbey, - or whatever it is person X feels is a total waste of money (for me it's the gas, so we all have our blindspots I guess) - it'll magically find its way ti our health service? Please. That's literally not how economies work and if you think that the health services problems can be traced back to whatever it is we spend on the immigration service, then we ain't going to agree on much here. Someone will be along shortly with a big red bus and an enticingly big number painted on the side...

Over 1 billion per annum handed to those on the live register.
    What a waste of my money

Edit. It's actually 2,397,434,000 euro down the drain every year

You pay a billion in tax?? Man you need to fire your accountant.

I've been unemployed, I know many who are currently through no fault of their own, and it's a safety net for those who for whatever reason struggle to regain work. Now that I'm employed I'm paying it forward - again, that's the social contract. And I don't believe the system needs junking because of those who abuse the system and find their way into Daily Mail articles to rattle your blood pressure.

This is probably getting far from Gemma O'Doherty's very public meltdown mind you, but we have to pay tax for the country to work. Lashing out at your personal hobby horse won't magically make the HSE better in throwing 2 billion at it. If anything it'd probably make it worse.

• Advertisement

You pay a billion in tax?? Man you need to fire your accountant.

I've been unemployed, I know many who are currently through no fault of their own, and it's a safety net for those who for whatever reason struggle to regain work. Now that I'm employed I'm paying it forward - again, that's the social contract. And I don't believe the system needs junking because of those who abuse the system and find their way into Daily Mail articles to rattle your blood pressure.

This is probably getting far from Gemma O'Doherty's very public meltdown mind you, but we have to pay tax for the country to work. Lashing out at your personal hobby horse won't magically make the HSE better in throwing 2 billion at it. If anything it'd probably make it worse.

Down the drain. Wasted by layabouts who have no need to buy an alarm clock.
    700,000 on waiting lists in the health system. A disgrace.
    Hopefully you never have to experience it

• Registered Users Posts: 28,372 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Isn't it strange though how the election results for Gemma and other extreme right wingers doesn't show any sign of them 'winning the battle for hearts and minds'.

Probably because many of Gemma's utterances are racist.
    Over 1 billion per annum handed to those on the live register.
    What a waste of my money

Edit. It's actually 2,397,434,000 euro down the drain every year
    Yeah, we should just go back to the work houses, sure we're half way there with the soup kitchens and food banks - let's just have people begging for food, what could possibly go wrong.

Isn't it strange though how the election results for Gemma and other extreme right wingers doesn't show any sign of them 'winning the battle for hearts and minds'.

Probably because many of Gemma's utterances are racist.

Yeah, we should just go back to the work houses, sure we're half way there with the soup kitchens and food banks - let's just have people begging for food, what could possibly go wrong.

Or else they could go and get jobs. The economy won't get any better. If they can't secure any kind of job in this market then they need to take a long hard look at themselves.
    No handouts to those who can't be arsed to help themselves.

It's the guberments fault. A kick in the arse and a bit of personal responsibility and pride is needed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

My granny used to say that it was easy to please the simple.

Grannies say a lot of things....

Down the drain. Wasted by layabouts who have no need to buy an alarm clock.
    700,000 on waiting lists in the health system. A disgrace.
    Hopefully you never have to experience it

So I'm right then, the "bootstraps" argument, ok so. Everyone on the live register is a layabout because of the riches bestowed by your forced generosity. We can part ways here cos you're being naive and hyperbolic. HSE problems won't be solved by closing unemployment benefit. Social safety nets are there for a reason thank god I hope YOU never find yourself needing a help.

So I'm right then, the "bootstraps" argument, ok so. Everyone on the live register is a layabout because of the riches bestowed by your forced generosity. We can part ways here cos you're being naive and hyperbolic. HSE problems won't be solved by closing unemployment benefit. Social safety nets are there for a reason thank god I hope YOU never find yourself needing a help.

All of our public services require more funding. The money isn't there to give it to them.
    We can either A) increase the taxes of those who work for a living or B) stop handing out freebies to those who don't contribute yet avail of said services. And in many cases they get free use of those services.
    This isn't sustainable

Basic stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 28,372 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

All of our public services require more funding. The money isn't there to give it to them.
    We can either A) increase the taxes of those who work for a living or B) stop handing out freebies to those who don't contribute yet avail of said services. And in many cases they get free use of those services.
    This isn't sustainable

Basic stuff
    Oh we have lots of other options other than A and B. How about

C) Increase taxes on those who don't work for a living - those who earn their living from properties, or stockholdings or those who inherit significant wealth or just assets generally
    D) Increase taxes on the corporations that are laughing their asses off at the idea that their real profit is €20m or €30m on income of €10 billion or €20 billion. I'm looking at you, Google, Facebook, Microsoft and your fellow travellers
    E) Reduce the amounts creamed off by lawyers and other experts throughout every aspect of the legal system, as Shatter tried to do .
    F) Reduce the subsidies to industries supported by Enterprise Ireland, IDA, Intertrade, Failte Ireland and others - let industries actually stand on their own two feet and stop creaming off the State.

Should we keep going on a few other options?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,405 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Or else they could go and get jobs. The economy won't get any better. If they can't secure any kind of job in this market then they need to take a long hard look at themselves.
    No handouts to those who can't be arsed to help themselves.

It's the guberments fault. A kick in the arse and a bit of personal responsibility and pride is needed

What does gemma and her buddy rownan work at?

Why should I have to suffer for someone that shouldn't be even in the country but they get treatment straight away as the authorities have a duty of care but yet I have to be on a waiting list, my mother had cancer and had to lay in a corridor in A&E for over 24hours listening and seeing all sorts of abuse etc.....

I work and work hard but every so often I come across those that take it upon themselves to scream racist.... I would hate to see their reaction if I actually was and did say disrespect them which by the way I would not and this is why I'm so strongly against it been used unless of course warranted....

I treat everyone with respect and as a human being and not by their colour or nationality or whatever they're into....

Exactly the same with gay, lesbian or whatever the next phase is, I don't care what they want to be and if they're happy then I'm happy too.

Simple I've been attacked by Irish people, foreign people and travellers so nothing really different between them only their behaviour shows them up as individuals....

• Advertisement

What does gemma and her buddy rownan work at?

No idea. One is a nut job the other lives in a shed out the back of his mammies house

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement