Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frank interview

• 30-05-2019 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Forget the bs youtube title. I think the discussion is quite clear and concise.

( empathetic
    /ɛmpəˈθɛtɪk/
    adjective
    showing an ability to understand and share the feelings of another. )

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Lvdj7ZmPUis

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Joshua Entis: I never heard of him before I had seen this video. A very good speaker.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=viq1ldZoq5o

The vegan 'agenda' - a better environment, kinder world and better health.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UX0ssckEbvE

Recent vegan Cosmicskeptic discusses the philosophy of veganism with the godfather of animal rights Peter Singer:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tSEfiPm_YRE&t=7s

- ...knowing all those animals in those sheds, I owe them so much for what we've done to them, and the planet...I'm working for the kids, I'm working for the animals. They're my employers at this point."
    Dr Michael Klaper

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J2cfn6o1p44

How to make  these new born calves drink water and eat [ kibble ] ? A welly on the head.

The industry breaks broiler chickens through selective breeding.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UIS3LdlMaEQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

auspicious wrote: »
    How to make  these new born calves drink water and eat [ kibble ] ? A welly on the head.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UIS3LdlMaEQ

The trouble with many of these cherry picked videos is that they have little relation to reality. I've no idea what farm your man visited in the UK but new born calves are not just fed 'water and cereal'. Young calves are fed milk / milk replacer and other foods are provided. Water must be made available to all animals as a matter of necessity. I never seen anyone ever using -a welly on the head' or otherwise whilst feeding calves. Good care of calves is the recommended practice and the right thing to do.

Joey Carbstrong is an extremist who frequently uses exceptional footage of poor animal welfare to push his own agenda whilst doing nothing to improve the welfare of those same animals. I find his constant self promotion and rhetoric to be extremly disingenuous at best.

There's multiple anti farming threads where similar videos were posted. Very few of them stand up to scrutiny tbh.

I think an extremist is someone who sends mother's to slaughter while pregnant.

I think an extremist is someone who,
    knowing, live foetuses, physically struggle in a just slaughtered pregnant mother experience the death of the mother through the onset of anoxia, and are cut from the womb and have a needle inserted in to their heart to draw their blood by vaccum causing untold pain, and then have their throats slit open, continues to perpetuate this evil by purchasing the root of the cause: meat and milk.

I think an extremist is someone who sends mother's to slaughter while pregnant.I think an extremist is someone who,knowing, live foetuses, physically struggle in a just slaughtered pregnant mother experience the death of the mother through the onset of anoxia, and are cut from the womb and have a needle inserted in to their heart to draw their blood by vaccum causing untold pain, and then have their throats slit open, continues to perpetuate this evil by purchasing the root of the cause: meat and milk.

Auspicious I think you're mixing up the threads this is not the serum one.

Anyway I do think most of that is hyperbole. But I digress - Your man Carbstrong is a reformed / ex criminal who uses videos like above for dubious 'fund's raising and does nothing for the welfare of the actual animals he portrays in his endless stream of regurgitated videos. He has made quite a comfortable career for himself in this new role - jetting around the world in even more self promotion.

As detailed in the other thread - afaik it is not the norm here. If a cow goes down with and cant get up or other veterinary reason - then there may be unfortunately times when pregnant cattle are slaughtered. No logical person is going to wilfully do so for the heck of it or otherwise. That vaccine manufacture is currently using serums harvested from such animals to help people evidently happens. And please note - animals here do not have 'their throats" slit without being rendered unconscious first. The one exception is hal-al - which I do not agree with. There is no "root cause" where some are randomly slinging ****. If there are practices which could be improved upon then thats what should be done - not using the exceptions to beat up everybody involved in farming.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,180 ✭✭✭jh79

I think an extremist is someone who sends mother's to slaughter while pregnant.

I think an extremist is someone who,
    knowing, live foetuses, physically struggle in a just slaughtered pregnant mother experience the death of the mother through the onset of anoxia, and are cut from the womb and have a needle inserted in to their heart to draw their blood by vaccum causing untold pain, and then have their throats slit open, continues to perpetuate this evil by purchasing the root of the cause: meat and milk.

But you said in the other thread that Bovine Serum was a necessary evil for vaccine production?

I didn't read most of your drivel.
    I spotted 'root cause' though and hyberbole. Baby cows are ripped from their dead mother because she is brought to the slaughterhouse from the dairy industry where she is considered no longer financially viable or from the beef industry.
    It's not hyperbole to suggest that if one knows about foetal bovine/calf serum and the extreme way it is harvested yet continues to support the dairy and beef industries by purchasing their products i.e. meat and milk than one is an extremist.
    Don't bother repying to me now or in the future gozunda as I'm done giving you the time of day.

• Advertisement

jh79 wrote: »
    But you said in the other thread that Bovine Serum was a necessary evil for vaccine production?

Nope. It's all there is atm. The world is not yet flooded with ethical alternatives. And in certain cases it's necessary to administer a vaccine to a human. If the supply of these unfortunate creatures continued to reduce through the boycotting of related products than there would be no choice but to formulate ethical sources.

I didn't read most of your drivel.I spotted 'root cause' though and hyberbole. Baby cows are ripped from their dead mother because she is brought to the slaughterhouse from the dairy industry where she is considered no longer financially viable or from the beef industry.It's not hyperbole to suggest that if one knows about foetal bovine/calf serum and the extreme way it is harvested yet continues to support the dairy and beef industries by purchasing their products i.e. meat and milk than one is an extremist.Don't bother repying to me now or in the future gozunda as I'm done giving you the time of day.

Again auspicious why the personalised style of posting? I called your comment hyperbole - for that is what they are.

I note the emotive use of 'baby cows'. A cow refers to the female of a species - calves can be either male or female - so the use of such a term is both incorrect and saccharinely emotive.

As another poster pointed out - no idea why you are singling out 'dairy' - there is no indications that its solely dairy cows only from which the serum is harvested.

You also are mixing up cull or barren cows which enter the food chain with this practice of harvesting serum. Not sure why that is tbh.

So if people take these vaccines- are they supporting this practice? As detailed Afaik I have never came across this here. So no - eating whole foods such as butter etc is not supporting this practice.

By all means - demand that this practice is changed but please do not use it as excuse to tar and feather all types of animal farming. It does the discussion no merit.

Nope. It's all there is atm. The world is not yet flooded with ethical alternatives. And in certain cases it's necessary to administer a vaccine to a human. If the supply of these unfortunate creatures continued to reduce through the boycotting of related products than there would be no choice but to formulate ethical sources.

So are you complicit in this "evil" by getting vaccinated?

So are you complicit in this "evil" by getting vaccinated?

I've stated my position on this in previous posts.
    Personally I haven't had need of many vaccinations luckily. I've had two tetanus shots since my vaccines in national school.
    And regarding complicity: you can't be complicit if you are unaware.

I've stated my position on this in previous posts.
    Personally I haven't had need of many vaccinations luckily. I've had two tetanus shots since my vaccines in national school.
    And regarding complicity: you can't be complicit if you are unaware.

Will you vaccinate in the future?

If need be, probably. I'll certainly research it first.
    Of course it's difficult to judge someone morally culpable who needs a vaccine and is aware of FBS since a human life in general is accepted as having a greater degree of value than that of an animal's.
    I wouldn't now being aware, go to a holiday destination that requires vaccinations unless I could assert their ethical origin. On the other hand if I was a doctor , let's say Doctor- without- borders, then of course it morally acceptable.
    As I said before, the pursuit of ethical alternatives will definitely increase if the unethical source is diminished through the boycotting of the products from the industries that create the source.

( not an interview)

Cosmicskeptic with some "inconvenient moral considerations".

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gcVR2OVxPYw

98 year-old former heart surgeon Ellsworth Wareham ( managed 104 ).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FX58PyQwrcI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Aspen Rough Switch-hitter

I take it vegans are no longer going to eat organic vegetables!!

After all, animals are being exploited to provide manure used to fertilize said organic vegetables.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

I take it vegans are no longer going to eat organic vegetables!!

After all, animals are being exploited to provide manure used to fertilize said organic vegetables.

They're being exploited to help feed most humans - why are you singling out vegans for what is a failure of the system? However:

The Vegan Organic Network.

My partner grows plants veganically and provides around 50% of our calories on less than an acre.

More farms are moving in that direction (though not fast enough for me).

Example: https://www.kitchen-gardens.co.uk/ - everything supplied to its customers is grown without using animal input.

( Not an interview. )

"When you lose your memory you lose everyone who ever mattered to you"

Foods which are high in saturated fats:

-milk and white chocolate, toffee, cakes, puddings and biscuits

-pastries and pies

-fatty meat, such as lamb chops

-processed meat, such as sausages, burgers, bacon and kebabs

-butter, lard, ghee, dripping, margarine, goose fat and suet

-coconut and palm oils and coconut cream
    full fat dairy products such as cream, milk, yogurt, crème fraiche and cheese.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v_ONFix_e4k

( Not an interview. )

"When you lose your memory you lose everyone who ever mattered to you"

Foods which are high in saturated fats:

-milk and white chocolate, toffee, cakes, puddings and biscuits

-pastries and pies

-fatty meat, such as lamb chops

-processed meat, such as sausages, burgers, bacon and kebabs

-butter, lard, ghee, dripping, margarine, goose fat and suet

-coconut and palm oils and coconut cream
    full fat dairy products such as cream, milk, yogurt, crème fraiche and cheese.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v_ONFix_e4k

Another dodgy vegan doctor.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/medicine-is-hard-and-should-be-practiced-with-caution/

Ah the poster boys of Big pharma. Have you ever read critical reviews of them.

A plant based diet will not prevent diabetes in cases due to hereditary genetics and such nor will it treat it.

A plant based diet may reduce the potential risk of developing it, amongst other diseases.

Science-based medicine agree with this.
    "We know that controlling blood sugar, cholesterol, and blood pressure in diabetics prevents devastating complications.  If a diabetic loses 20 lbs and has normal sugars, we know we’ve reduced their risk, but evidence seems to support the idea that they are still “diabetic”, at least from the perspective of risk.

The video was about reducing risk to alzheimer's disease though.

Ah the poster boys of Big pharma. Have you ever read critical reviews of them.

A plant based diet will not prevent diabetes in cases due to hereditary genetics and such nor will it treat it.

A plant based diet may reduce the potential risk of developing it, amongst other diseases.

Science-based medicine agree with this.
    "We know that controlling blood sugar, cholesterol, and blood pressure in diabetics prevents devastating complications.  If a diabetic loses 20 lbs and has normal sugars, we know we’ve reduced their risk, but evidence seems to support the idea that they are still “diabetic”, at least from the perspective of risk.

The video was about reducing risk to alzheimer's disease though.

Just pointing that he is not a credible source.

I find Science-Based Medicine are dogmatic in their approach and push back a little too hard with their strongly held views.

High cholesterol is the source of many ( avoidable) diseases . Cholesterol is only found in foods that come from animals, there is no cholesterol in foods that come from plants. The body makes its own cholesterol.
    Reduce cholesterol by focusing on beans, wholegrain, and fruit and vegetables.

I find Science-Based Medicine are dogmatic in their approach and push back a little too hard with their strongly held views.

High cholesterol is the source of many ( avoidable) diseases . Cholesterol is only found in foods that come from animals, there is no cholesterol in foods that come from plants. The body makes its own cholesterol.
    Reduce cholesterol by focusing on beans, wholegrain, and fruit and vegetables.

If vegan researchers were honest about what the research says a blog like SBM wouldn't need to exist.

SBM exists to combat quackery and alternative medicine, such as homeopathy for example, which have no basis in science. These methods should be rooted out as they are a hindrance to scientific progress and societal health.
    Dr. Neal Bernard in his presentation is not espousing a plant-based diet as a cure to alzheimer disease but only as a healthy preventative measure.
    High intake of saturated fat doubles the risk of this cruel disease.

SBM exists to combat quackery and alternative medicine, such as homeopathy for example, which have no basis in science. These methods should be rooted out as they are a hindrance to scientific progress and societal health.
    Dr. Neal Bernard in his presentation is not espousing a plant-based diet as a cure to alzheimer disease but only as a healthy preventative measure.
    High intake of saturated fat doubles the risk of this cruel disease.

Dr Bernard has promoted quackery in the past as the SBM link shows. Claiming that food can cure illnesses is quackery. Given he has form in making false claims on the benefits of exclusively plant based diets it might be worth checking does the research he is citing actually support his claims.

• Advertisement

Plants contain no cholesterol. High cholesterol has been linked to diabetes and high blood pressure.
    Saturated fats contribute to alzheimers.
    You'll find these claims in any medical journal.

( Harvard University public health school

The evidence is growing stronger that eating red meat (beef, pork, lamb) and processed red meat (bacon, hot dogs, deli meats) increases the risk of diabetes, even among people who consume only small amounts. ..Eating even smaller amounts of processed red meat each day—just two slices of bacon, one hot dog, or the like—increased diabetes risk by 51%

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/disease-prevention/diabetes-prevention/preventing-diabetes-full-story/#diet )

Advertisement