Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Outer Worlds - Obsidian RPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Zillah wrote: »
    Trailer looked pretty janky, to be honest. Did they borrow Gamebryo? That guy's facial animation looked about as good as Fallout 3. Gameplay elements don't look particularly smooth or interesting.

This. I know it's still a good bit away but I am quite frankly shocked at how dated it looks. It really does look like something made over a decade ago. Even longer.

Hopefully, it will have great RPG elements along with an intriguing story....but from an engine point of view? Jesus Christ it looks shoddy as hell. Look at 1:30 into that trailer. Those character running and movement animations look no better than what we saw in Fallout 3 or new vegas. Surely we've moved past this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I think it looks great as a game, though the engine does look a bit clunky - sort of like Fallout 4 actually, which was dated at the time it released a few years ago.

Less than optimal results from Unreal Engine 4, some of the close ups of characters speaking looked exactly like Fallout3/Fallout 4.

Then again, I don't think they're working with a huge budget so I'm OK with all of that once the gameplay and story is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Trailer looked pretty janky, to be honest. Did they borrow Gamebryo? That guy's facial animation looked about as good as Fallout 3. Gameplay elements don't look particularly smooth or interesting.

Thought the same myself. but no they are using the Unreal engine 4. So why they decided to make it look exactly like something unsing the gamebryo is beyond me. Even so far as the conversation talking head is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭ gizmo

I can't see this being the result of a decision made, the trailer is just showing some really poor animation and texture work.

It's hard to tell whether the footage itself was just put together at the last minute or they have a hell of a lot of work to get done before the October release. I mean they're showing animations that, at best, look like they've been authored to be viewed from a first person perspective, in third person. The facial skinning is in such a state that it should never have been focused on in the trailer and while the run cycle Kirby pointed out is brutal, look to the left of what he's running towards, that's either an textured character or they have a severe LOD or texture streaming issue on their hands.

It's just...bizarre :/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Why do I get the feeling this will be really buggy on release like KOTOR 2 & Alpha Protocol were :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Haha ever since I posted that video all the enthusiasm for this game has evaporated !!!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

its obsidian, i believe :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Less than two weeks to go, anyone picking it up day one?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The day Modern Warfare comes out, so I won't be getting it at launch. I reckon that will also affect sales somewhat, having played the beta of MW it's going to be good and will bring back a lot of previous players.

But I will definitely pick it up at some stage, and hopefully by that stage all the bugs will be ironed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I am indeed, but not sure if i am going to get it on console or PC. Console will have better FPS but nice to sit on the couch and play on a big screen tv.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Less than two weeks to go, anyone picking it up day one?

I was just googling this but think I'll get Outer Wilds instead.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I was just googling this but think I'll get Outer Wilds instead.

tenor.gif

The day Modern Warfare comes out, so I won't be getting it at launch. I reckon that will also affect sales somewhat, having played the beta of MW it's going to be good and will bring back a lot of previous players.

But I will definitely pick it up at some stage, and hopefully by that stage all the bugs will be ironed out.

I briefly played black ops 3 and black ops 4 as they were free and hated both but the new modern warfare does look class. Think i might even but it on launch, first time I've ever done that with a cod.

tenor.gif

Just saw this :pac: yeah thinking of getting COD when it's out... And then need for speed heat a few weeks after... Damn 'holiday' season.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,132 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Going straight into game pass so will give it a look in pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,583 ✭✭✭✭ T. Hanks^

Something seems a bit flat about the gunplay. Think PC will be best placed to play this giving more accuracy with mouse.
    Gamepass again is a thing of beauty with games on launch and with the cross-play setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭brevity

Could anyone find pc specs for this?

Nothing official released yet, nothing on Steam either

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Going straight into game pass so will give it a look in pc.

Delighted with that, I have about five 3-month free GamePass vouchers to redeem. One will be used for this, the rest probably whenever Halo Reach and Infinite get released on PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Not sure what to think. Less than two weeks to release and there's no mention of specs, no previews, no gameplay updates of note, no coverage on gaming sites, just.. nothing.

I'm still really interested in it but where the hell is the hype and info? It's worrying.

• Advertisement

This is using Unreal engine?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭ gizmo

This is using Unreal engine?
    Tis.

Think I might get gamepass and get this then.

What’s this game pass business? Is it only for Xbox?

No it's for PC now too https://www.xbox.com/en-IE/xbox-game-pass/pc-games

Works just like netflix, sub for a month when theres something you want to play and immediately cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Seems like incredibly good value considering it has €60 games on there for a tenner a month! Is there a catch?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,089 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Cina wrote: »
    Seems like incredibly good value considering it has €60 games on there for a tenner a month! Is there a catch?

Same catches as every subscription service: you have to keep paying, and games can disappear at any point (less risk with MS first party titles). Also you have little choice in terms of what games you get.

Bearing all that in mind, Game Pass is still pretty great value - especially with the various offers and introductory prices you can easily get.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,132 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Cina wrote: »

No catch. There was a way to get it cheaper too, not sure if it's stopped working yet: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057987235

• Advertisement

It cost me 1 euro I think out until 2021

Advertisement