Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hollow Knight

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Xofpod wrote: »
    Where Hollow Knight excels in my opinion is tone. It creates an atmosphere unlike any other game I played.
    That said, not enough for me to bother with the ridiculously ramped-up difficulty level of much of the DLC...
    Saving my energy for Silksong

Agreed; the City of Tears was the crystallisation of this tone for me; the little bench where you could watch the rain run down the windows felt like the devs. acknowledging this tone.

Re. Silksong, I think I read the gameplay loop will be faster and more precision-based, so if so, am a bit leery the sequel might be less enjoyable for folks like me, just who mash the buttons & hope for the best :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

City of Tears is the point where everyone falls in love with the game. The music is gorgeous.

I think Silksong looks incredbile. Hollow Knight's movement is quite basic when you look at it and most movement skills don't translate into combat. Silksong looks to really expand on the movement and combat options, it looks like an incredible amount of fun and a step up in game design in an already amazing game.

I liked Hollow Knight at the time but after playing the new Ori game, recency bias has pushed Hollow Knight to the side. Ori did everything better with the exception of difficulty.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I find Ori to be metroidvania super meat boy. I guess I just like my bosses and they are so much better designed in Hollow Knight while Ori has the better map design with better placed checkpoints.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

I played Ori first and loved it based on how quick and fluid it was, the first escape when you unclog a waterfall in the first game is up there with one of my favorite gaming moments. There was also quite a few emotional moments which I wasn't expecting from a metroidvania style game! I didn't find the second game as good, it just didn't have the spark of the first game for me. Just finished Hollow Knight two weeks ago and going back to collect everything which I didn't do in Ori so that's saying something! I think the world building is just incredible in HK and the boss battles were amazing, the atmosphere is better in everyway and the mystery and lore adds so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

TheSegal wrote: »
    I played Ori first and loved it based on how quick and fluid it was, the first escape when you unclog a waterfall in the first game is up there with one of my favorite gaming moments. There was also quite a few emotional moments which I wasn't expecting from a metroidvania style game! I didn't find the second game as good, it just didn't have the spark of the first game for me. Just finished Hollow Knight two weeks ago and going back to collect everything which I didn't do in Ori so that's saying something! I think the world building is just incredible in HK and the boss battles were amazing, the atmosphere is better in everyway and the mystery and lore adds so much.

Completely agree, for me it's:

1. Ori 1
    2. HK (a close 2nd)

3. Ori 2

May be because I played them in that order but the 2nd Ori game just seemed to be missing the magic of the first and was a bit slow/buggy when I played it, it was a bit of a slog to finish whereas I 100%-ed the first one and loved every moment of it. I do find some of the bosses in HK a bit tough particularly when some of them require so much slogging to get back to (until you get the teleport thing).

pm1977x wrote: »
    Completely agree, for me it's:

1. Ori 1
    2. HK (a close 2nd)

3. Ori 2

May be because I played them in that order but the 2nd Ori game just seemed to be missing the magic of the first and was a bit slow/buggy when I played it, it was a bit of a slog to finish whereas I 100%-ed the first one and loved every moment of it. I do find some of the bosses in HK a bit tough particularly when some of them require so much slogging to get back to (until you get the teleport thing).

I completely forgot about that teleport thing after unlocking it, would have saved me so much time if I had used it! I didn't mind the treks at times because I was used to Dark Souls but I can understand how it would piss some people off

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Mother of all that is wrong in this world, my reward for not rage quitting and getting past Mantis Lords, Traitor Lord and getting across vastness of Crystal travels and pogo’ing spikes is the new found low of The White Palace.
    That man deserves to be brought to the woods and (Sopranos style) taken care of.
    I mean WTF

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

The White palace is one of the best parts of the game in regards filling out the story of the game. The atmosphere, music, and feel was absolutely amazing when I got there first regardless of the infuriating platforming that left me feeling like an idiot! The section of the abyss that you get to open near the endgame is pretty chilling when you notice the sheer amount of bodies all around you along with the flashback sequence

So am getting closer, 105% and have final boss ahead but mopping up some dream bosses before I attempt the last lad.

Has any lunatic here done the Path of Pain, looks unreal

• Advertisement

LOL, who said kids don't pay off, just got this from my young one, looks way better in real life

IMG-20210302-134616.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I saw a recent youtuber gushing over this. Then more people gushing over it and ton of people looking forward to the dlc coming out soon. I looked it up and completely forgot I had tried it before but must have been 20-30 minutes. I kind of remember having multiple games on the go at the time so this got left in the dust. Feel like I might gem of a game on my hands to put proper time into it.

Ok, gave it another go and instantly remembered my first go a few years back, i really didn't give it a chance. Within 10 minutes of playing this time, I found a map and even over of those bugs in a jar but no idea what freeing it does yet. Only had time for a quick go but already looking forward to go back for more.

It takes a while to get going, it has a very cold start. Then it becomes amazing. And the. The last third of the game is annoying because the map is too big and the gap between teleporters is way too big.

I still love it but it would have been incredible if it was a bit more focused.

Also **** the final dlc and what it asks of the player. I give up on very few games but seriously **** that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's also a game with a True Ending that requires the usual set of arbitrary, hidden tasks beloved of games of this stripe; so if you aren't willing to put in an insane amount of work for a marginally less abstract ending, you'll get what I got and the "Basic" 5 second cut-scene.

Love Hollow Knight but its indulgence in that bullshít was a bit stain. Why write a coherent story when you can have vague bollix you never have to properly expand upon, then call it clever.

Was wondering around lost, even with a map, and found a fast travel back to the start, new bench, cheesed a miniboss and generally loving the dark souls vibes. Then i got trapped in a room with the false Knight and beat him first go. Ah the foolishness, was just his first phase and he wrecked me. I'm loving this though, i just need to save up for a compass!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I found it far more enjoyable once I started following a "which way to go" guide, one which gave the general direction I should head instead of telling me what's ahead.

I've been bouncing between games but went back to this and beat the False Knight. Feels so good when the first few encounters feels like a bullshit fight, then you figure out the patterns and then it's a piece of cake.

When it comes to the map shop, if i buy those map icons for say benches, will that work on every map i find here on out or just the current map I'm on? Also the guy's shop at the start has some interesting but expensive items, anything specific i should be saving up to get from him?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Any time you come across a e.g. bench in future it will be added to the map. I think the other guy has a useful charm or two, you will want the latern before too long so if you find yourself accumulating a lot of geo while out and about consider aiming for the 1800

Just had my first nope moment. Not sure if this was a boss, npc or just some background noise but i wasn't about to find out with the most money I've had so far :D

• Advertisement

Think that's an NPC... I think.

Maaaan this is such a great game. A few times now I've tried to turn it off to play something else but i just can't. Just down in the mantis area, and itching to unlock wall jump, double jump or dash upwards, whatever the mechanic is to get me to those high places.

This is just brilliant. I'm currently at a point o figuring out where to go next. I just finished the crystal peaks but don't think I fought the boss yet so might need a new skill. Wandered the whole mapping using my super dash and wall jump to explore new areas and find new items/abilities. I read I should look for the Royal Waterways next but need a simplekey which i already used on something else so currently saving to buy a new one. Damn, such a quality game.

I took a small break from this but went back a few days ago and hooked again. Have the 3 big bads to fight but I've been stuck on a few regular bosses so decided to upgrade my nail and get a few more charms. Have the coiled nail and quick slash which is a great combo. Not decided on my main 2nd charm yet, need to find more notches as well.

Absolutely incredible. 3 dreamers done, took one go off the hollow Knight but want to clean up the map first. So, found the grubs and trying to get all charms. Look like i have 1 left, the king soul. Already have 1 half of it and it looks like i need 1800 dream stuff to access the other so my next task is cleaning up the dream trees and bosses.

I think first, i will try the trial of the fool and work my way up to 15k geo for unbreakable strength. Currently have 10k so almost there. That should make the remaining bosses that bit easier.

Also have the Grimm charm to complete.

I **** love this game!

Good luck with both versions of grimm! Not even the toughest boss on the game but near killed me. And then when I was trying for the last dlc I was so used to the fight they were actually two of the easiest fights!

I've read Grimm are no joke, just starting that dlc was ridiculous. I went googling after my first go at HK to see what i was missing. Some things i was kicking myself for missing and others I don't think i would have ever found. **** knows what's going on story wise but I look forward to looking up a lore video when I'm done.

Question, should I beat HK first or go for Essence and other things? Not sure what's meant to be done before clearing the game and what's end game content as the dlc seems to be implemented with the base game (voidheart edition).

Every time Zero bumps this thread, I have two thoughts:

a) Silksong???

b) I wanna go play HK again, but am too chicken to put that effort in all over.

• Advertisement

So i got unbreakable strength and matched with pure nail, it's a bit of a powerhouse. Went back to the HK for a 2nd go before deciding what charm combo I'll set up for him but demolished him, thought there would be more after him for some reason. Anyway, i have 96% complete so time to get the remaining dream essence. I found a dream boss last night and was tough out. This game keeps on giving.

Advertisement