Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Ireland news thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Ah the up and down rollercoaster of the boards.ie Ireland thread. Qualification achieved, the jobs a good 'un

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

To say we were fortunate is an understatement but the first part of the job has been secured. Hopefully we can redeem ourselves in the semi-final.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I'm happy we got through, but worried that it was as much due to HK, PNG and Namibia blowing their chances rather than us being up to our usual high standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

As anybody that follows Irish cricket knows, we never like to make things easy for ourselves :pac:

We've really gotten away with one here.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Cricket fan

Batting first vs the Dutch

• Advertisement

Both openers gone in the first 5 overs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I can't cope with Kyle McCallan. It's too awkward.

128 ao.

I dont think our t20 batting order is correct. Sides like Scotland and Netherlands have guys all over the order who can hit big. We're too reliant on Kevin and Stirlo to do all the work while others play around them

Bowlers did their best but not enough runs to defend Im afraid.

Great to see a crowd of 2500 or so at the game, but the batting is a worry heading into the tournament proper in 8 months.

With the way this tournament has progressed we could find ourselves in a group of

Bangladesh
    Netherlands
    Ireland
    Afghanistan!

Alex Cusack retires from international cricket. Best wishes to him

• Advertisement

Always gave his all and that spell vs Zim at the WC was excellent and won us the game.

Almost the unnoticed hero of 2011 too. Best wishes to him

Our squad vs Australia was announced as well.

William Porterfield (captain) (Warwickshire), Andrew Balbirnie (Middlesex), George Dockrell (Somerset), Ed Joyce (Sussex), John Mooney (Balbriggan), Tim Murtagh (Middlesex), Andy McBrine (Donemana), Kevin O’Brien (Railway Union), Niall O’Brien (Leicestershire), Paul Stirling (Middlesex), Stuart Thompson (Eglinton), Gary Wilson (Surrey), Craig Young (Bready)

Stunned Thompson gets yet another go tbh, Kane or even Sorenson deserve a spot more than him IMO.

Hope rain stays away

Great news for next summer, 2 games vs Sri Lanka and also 2 vs Pakistan, fair play to Pakistan, they are always good for more than a token appearance, I am looking forward to when we can return the favour

Another few games lined up, probably more important than the 'glamour' games against the full nations to be honest, 3 ODI games against Zimbabwe and a 4-day against Zim A in October

link to cricketeurope

Zim will be hungry for revenge after the world cup I think

Disappointed the team will be expected to play 2 days after landing in what are typically testing conditions without any practice.

Wont be surprised if we play poorly in the first ODI as a result, Zimbabwe pitches tend to be minefields in the first innings and pancakes in the second, toss is vital

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Garryowen Red

I'm much happier that we are getting the 4 day practice before the Namibia game in the Intercontinental Cup, to my mind winning that game with a full 20 points is more important than the 3 ODI's against Zimbabwe. Saying that however it would have been nicer to have a weeks build u with two practice games before the ODI's.

While it is true the IC Cup is vital its just as vital we remain ahead of Zim in the ODI rankings IMO, and that we prove we are definitively a better side.

If we screw up vs Zim and the Aghans beat Zim a couple times we could drop down to 12 in the standings

Lads have arrived in Zimbabwe.

Bad news:

Zim by virtue of a fortunate DLS win vs Pakistan are now only 3 points behind us if I'm not mistaken.

Good news:

Cremer (their premiere spinner) went over on his ankle and may not be fit for the series. Likewise Ervine (formerly of the Northern Knights for a season if I'm not mistaken) could be out injured.

Zimbabwe are not in good form IMO, losing to Pakistan, India and NZ reserve sides. If we play sensibly for the first 20 overs when their battery of medium pacers like Panyangara and Jongwe can be dangerous on lively tracks we can certainly beat them, in fact considering our ranking and how vital this series is we should win IMO, will be very close though I feel.

It's a pity we havent played a warm up game when we were there a few days beforehand, but the weather forecast saying it will get up to around 31°, so maybe they didnt want to tire everyone out

My main worry is the conditions.

We simply havent received enough time for an international cricketing side IMO. Just hope it doesnt affect the guys tomorrow

• Advertisement

Good start for zimbabwe here, the spinners need to come on early

Spoke too soon, good job KOB and Murtagh!

This series has not been good, Looking like another loss and our ranking will take another beating unless Zim have the mother of all chokes.

Lower order for the billionth time failed to build on a platform (only 66 runs in the last 10). Not good enough

A lot of runs conceded at the end too

Our ranking is screwed now and if Afghanistan win one or two ODI's we drop down to 12.

Disappointing this, very disappointing. Since the WC we've not had a good year at all.

Drop Kevin and throw Poynter in. Kevin has flopped with the bat all year and the series is dead so may as well give someone a try. Slot Young in for one of Murtagh or Mooney and go for a face saving win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Tough for any international side to go away and play a series cold in testing conditions like Ireland are doing. Particularly at the end of a long season. Saying all that, it's still disappointing.

Zim 88-4 now with Williams out and no Ervine, beating them by 7/8 wickets would be a good way to finish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Irl 97/3 chasing 188, 24 overs left - sort of 'even Steven' so far.

145/6, 43 needed with 11 overs left - looking like it might be tight.

• Advertisement

Fair dues to our lower order, came good and held the nerve. Irish team seems to have a habit of making things hard? :)

Advertisement