Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWE Network Thread

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Charisteas wrote: »
    I hope not, that would suck.

I know a lot of major tape traders who are **** scared now.

There used to be an implied understanding/tolerance that WWE would leave them alone on the following basis. If say WWE is pushing a new Shawn Michaels DVD you better not be offering your own custom Shawn Michaels match compilation set on sale on your site. As if you did you would get a pretty swift cease and desist letter. However if you only offered a Marty Jannetty comp you would never get a legal letter. Essentially if you didn't compete with WWE you were fine.

Now with WWE Network offering "everything" the boundaries of that implied understanding/tolerance has changed greatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Even if you only got 1.5 million people to sign up initially (which isn't a big ask considering the worldwide audience it gets) you've got $180mil pre-paid for the year sitting in your bank.

Honestly I'd think 1.5m subscribers would be a huge ask for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Not if it spread to almost worldwide release.

If they get the USA, Canada, South America, Europe, Oz and New Zealand they should easily get 1.5 million.

I know wrestling fans who don't watch as regularly and would be "Attitude era" babies who said they'll subscribe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Not if it spread to almost worldwide release.

If they get the USA, Canada, South America, Europe, Oz and New Zealand they should easily get 1.5 million.

I know wrestling fans who don't watch as regularly and would be "Attitude era" babies who said they'll subscribe.

I'm one of the Attitude Era babies who will definitely subscribe to this.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I think that's the key to this idea; it's main audience will be people who won't buy PPVs but will happily buy nostalgia. Meanwhile, those who already were ordering the PPVs will continue to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,516 ✭✭✭SteM

Loughc wrote: »
    I'd be happy to fork out for that for all PPVs and delayed Raws and Smackdowns and NXTs. Hopefully you wont need an American credit card to sign up tho!

But my understanding is that Raw & Smackdowns are not part of this network? Mentions nothing about them on the press release, only the pre and post shows for Raw and Smackdown.

I think that's the key to this idea; it's main audience will be people who won't buy PPVs but will happily buy nostalgia. Meanwhile, those who already were ordering the PPVs will continue to do so.

But why would they continue to purchase PPVs when this is available to them at a cheaper cost? Buy 2 or 3 PPVs per year and this service pays for itself.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I haven't paid for a WWE PPV in years but I would happily sign up to the network so you could be surprised just how many others would come crawling back to them.

SteM wrote: »
    But why would they continue to purchase PPVs when this is available to them at a cheaper cost? Buy 2 or 3 PPVs per year and this service pays for itself.

Sorry, to reword it.

People who buy PPVs currently will either keep buying PPVs or sign up to the WWE network. (Not everyone is tech savy and happy to watch stuff on their computers). So at most, you take a bit of a hit in terms of their income. I think a lot of people, though, will stick with the current model; after all, people still buy DVDs and box sets despite the likes of Netflix or even illegal torrenting being so easy to come by.

A lot of people, and I mean a lot, who don't buy PPVs (and thus provide no income to WWE) will sign up to this on nostalgia alone, and it's a chance to bring them back into the fold in other ways too. I'd also say this audience are the prime "internet users" as well who are more than happy to sign up to a Netflix style system.

So they'll take a bit of a hit from one audience while possibly getting a massive boost from another audience.

The buy rate for the 8 PPV's in 2013 was just over 3 million at an average of $47 a show (according to the WWE website) which works out at approx. $141mil in income.

Presumably people would be more willing to pay $10 a month and get all PPV's than to pay a higher cost per individual show. Even if you only got 1.5 million people to sign up initially (which isn't a big ask considering the worldwide audience it gets) you've got $180mil pre-paid for the year sitting in your bank.

My understanding is that WWE only get a cut of the PPV income - obviously the provider gets a cut too. That means that the income to the WWE you came up with is probably even less. All the more reason to go with their own online network where they don't have to loose a slice of the profits.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

But my understanding is that Raw & Smackdowns are not part of this network? Mentions nothing about them on the press release, only the pre and post shows for Raw and Smackdown.

Raw & Smackdown will air on the network on a delay, i.e. serveral days after it aired on tv.

My understanding is that WWE only get a cut of the PPV income - obviously the provider gets a cut too. That means that the income to the WWE you came up with is probably even less. All the more reason to go with their own online network where they don't have to loose a slice of the profits.

Another good point; just cause we pay X amount for a PPV does not mean WWE gets X amount of the cash. Highly like that in this way, WWE might get the exact same amount of cash in charging a tenner for the online service as they would if you paid 20 to Sky or the likes. In which case, they might not take much of a hit on that front at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭kryptonmight

This sounds interesting especially as I stopped watching WWE about 14 months ago as I thought it wasn't that good but mostly as I was sick of forking out 35 eur a month for Sky Sports. I don't watch much sport so i really only watched Sky Sports for WWE.

What would be great is if you could watch this on your tv through some sort of app, similar to Netflix. I have it on all my devices so i can watch stuff on my tablet or on the tv via apple tv.

Don't know if the wwe app will be that flexible and widely available on different devices. I know i hate having to plug my laptop into the tv to watch things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

This sounds interesting especially as I stopped watching WWE about 14 months ago as I thought it wasn't that good but mostly as I was sick of forking out 35 eur a month for Sky Sports. I don't watch much sport so i really only watched Sky Sports for WWE.

What would be great is if you could watch this on your tv through some sort of app, similar to Netflix. I have it on all my devices so i can watch stuff on my tablet or on the tv via apple tv.

Don't know if the wwe app will be that flexible and widely available on different devices. I know i hate having to plug my laptop into the tv to watch things.

If youve got a ps3/ps4 or xbox 360 then you can stream it direct to your tv.

Shame were not part of the initial launch but I suppose they are going to hang on to see how the bskyb contract goes first.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Given its availability on so many systems (and soon on Smart TV's) it's not so much aimed at the Tech savvy.

I might consider cancelling my Sky Sports subscription after this. I mainly only watch Sky Sports for WWE and the football, Sky Sports News comes with the regular Sky package and with the quality streams out there and WWE network, I won't really need the 30+euro a month Sky Sports rip off.

I presume it'll work with Android/Kindle Fire/Miracast and iPads/iPhones/Apple TV for easy viewing on your TV. Along with PS3/Ps4/Xbox this should cover everything really

They've really pulled out all the stops here and should be commended for their bravery in damaging their PPV revenues. Hopefully Vince and co reap the much deserved rewards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Vince has been given a lot of credit in the past for helping get ppvs to the platform they are on today. He may have just reinvented the wheel here. And I can't see them loosing out on much, if all revenues from the subs go direct to WWE, rather than just a cut.

I've been looking for a reason to cancel my Sky sub for a while now, ripoff merchants. Now I have it.

This is also a major coup for Sony and the PS4 platform, the Xbox One wasn't mentioned at all (just the 360)

Garseys wrote: »
    If youve got a ps3/ps4 or xbox 360 then you can stream it direct to your tv.

Shame were not part of the initial launch but I suppose they are going to hang on to see how the bskyb contract goes first.

I have an xbox 360 that never gets used, might be time to fire it up again.

Any idea when the wwe network will be available here? Are we talking weeks/months/years after the us?

the only sports i watch are F1 and athletics. I get the F1 channel for free as I have the HD pack and sky has flip all athletics coverage so sky sports isn't a great investment for me.

I have an xbox 360 that never gets used, might be time to fire it up again.

Good guy Gates would like €60 per year in Gold Membership fees for that right!

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    This is also a major coup for Sony and the PS4 platform, the Xbox One wasn't mentioned at all (just the 360)

Press release said the Xbox One App will follow in the late Summer

Any idea when the wwe network will be available here? Are we talking weeks/months/years after the us?

UK is set to Launch late 2014/early 2015. No word if that includes Ireland or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

jaykhunter wrote: »
    It sure would!

Send 'em an email Jay, might get the OSWReview back catalogue up on it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

UK is set to Launch late 2014/early 2015. No word if that includes Ireland or not.

as mentioned previously - WWE consider Ireland as part of the UK - so i would asume that we would get it at the same time!

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Good guy Gates would like €60 per year in Gold Membership fees for that right!

Balls. I was thinking that just after I posted that. That's one big gripe I have with the xbox. Why do you need to pay for gold membership if you don't play online games.

Press release said the Xbox One App will follow in the late Summer

Whoops! Better read more carefully next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

Really? Maybe initially when only released to the US it might struggle but when it's released worldwide I don't think they'll struggle to achieve the same revenue as they get with the regular PPV's. I've never paid for a WWE show, mostly because it's on at silly o'clock in the morning and I've to be up the next day, and I could never justify the price for one show but I'd happily pay $10 a month if I could watch all the PPV's for the year and Raw, Smackdown, etc. and all the old matches at a time that suited me.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

So hypothetically I have my DNS settings set to US on my xbox 360, can I pay the yearly sub or 10 bucks a month and be able to watch WWE network on my 360 from the launch date??

as mentioned previously - WWE consider Ireland as part of the UK - so i would asume that we would get it at the same time!

I hope so, streaming regions are quite strict otherwise! Hopefully the VPN will be work for it as I want to subscribe to it on launch day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

beakerjoe wrote: »
    So hypothetically I have my DNS settings set to US on my xbox 360, can I pay the yearly sub or 10 bucks a month and be able to watch WWE network on my 360 from the launch date??

I've seen this discussed elsewhere. APPARENTLY you need a US credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Decobuzz

I hope so, streaming regions are quite strict otherwise! Hopefully the VPN will be work for it as I want to subscribe to it on launch day.

If they ask for US only credit card details then it might prove difficult.

• Advertisement

rovert wrote: »
    I've seen this discussed elsewhere. APPARENTLY you need a US credit card.

Ah feck! :mad:

Advertisement