Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Knock Airport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

It seems that the 3 routes Ryanair added this year are being cancelled again.

Glasgow-Prestwick seems to end on the 28th of September

Kaunas seems to end on the 23rd of October, (Possibly due to the summer season ending)

Eindhoven seems to end on the 25th of October (Possibly due to the summer season ending.)

I got this information from The Knock airport wikipedia page.

Aer Lingus' London-Gatwick flight seems to end on the 28th of March also.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

I certainly hope the LGW route is not going anywhere :(

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭cgill

Carnacalla wrote: »

Kaunas seems to end on the 23rd of October, (Possibly due to the summer season ending)

Eindhoven seems to end on the 25th of October (Possibly due to the summer season ending.)

The Glasgow route has been confirmed as ending next week, Kaunas will probably move to Shannon. With EI closing their Gatwick base it doesnt look good for the Knock route, especially since the DUB and BHD routes are already bookable from LGW. Aer Lingus recently said that their summer schedule had not been fully loaded yet. Hopefully LGW wont end...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Knock-Kaunas was a bit of a curveball though in fairness!

Even shannon-kaunas is a curve ball.

• Advertisement

It had good passenger numbers though. People were saying that petitions had been sent to airlines to get an eastern european route from Knock which influenced Ryanair in starting the Kaunas one - I dont know if theres any truth to it.

842 carried in April, 1221 in May and 1153 in June. There's 1512 seats a month on the route so an average lf of around 75% which is not the worst.

Perhaps they should try something like Warsaw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

842 carried in April, 1221 in May and 1153 in June. There's 1512 seats a month on the route so an average lf of around 75% which is not the worst.

Perhaps they should try something like Warsaw

Are these figures available to the public?

christy c wrote: »
    Are these figures available to the public?

Yes, theyre on cso.ie under the tourism and travel section under airport pairings. They generally take 3 months to be published but UK and Spanish figures are available within 2 weeks on the CAA and AENA websites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Depends on the yield as much as seats sold though.. Possibly more so. You can sell loads of seats and still have a loss making route

• Advertisement

cgill wrote: »
    They generally take 3 months to be published but UK and Spanish figures are available within 2 weeks on the CAA and AENA websites.

Tells you a lot about Ireland doesn't it?

Here's the link. http://www.cso.ie/px/pxeirestat/Statire/SelectVarVal/Define.asp?maintable=ctm01

Never knew AENA published too- thanks for the heads up

Especially when the vast majority of eastern Europeans in this region are from Poland. 700 in Castlebar town alone in 2011 and closer to 2K during the boom.

More than a route to Poland Knock need the same sweetheart/bailout deal that Shannon got. They are spending too much servicing there debt. This should be changing with the upcoming budget as the airport contributes 100 million plus to the economy every single year.

It was making front page news on the leading paper in the region last week so there is some momentum behind it..

Very kind of you to point this out, Now Carn would you mind point out all the routes that are finishing at Shannon this winter ?? I know its a lot bigger list that you have just printed. You would think with the amount of money the taxpayers gave Shannon they could nearly pay people to fly from there:D

<SNIP>

Knock just had its biggest amount of passengers last month for over 30 years. The airport expands every single year and is essential to keep the whole region alive.

http://www.irelandwestairport.com/utility/news_details.aspx?id=363

[quote="[Deleted User];92297087"
    More than a route to Poland Knock need the same sweetheart/bailout deal that Shannon got. They are spending too much servicing there debt. This should be changing with the upcoming budget.

It was making front page news on the leading paper in the region last week so there is some momentum behind it..[/quote]

Completely agree about the bailout deal and that Knock needs more support from the government. Very interesting articles in those papers last week about Enda's promises before he became Taoiseach. All in all though, new routes to the right destinations could have a hugely positive impact on the airport.

Very kind of you to point this out, Now Carn would you mind point out all the routes that are finishing at Shannon this winter ?? I know its a lot bigger list that you have just printed.

You would think with the amount of money the taxpayers gave Shannon they could nearly pay people to fly from there:D

Now wait a second, what's with the attitude?

The only route I know of cancelled from Shannon is the Aer Lingus to Manchester, which will probably have a bigger impact than the few knock routes being cancelled.

This is a forum about knock airport, not Shannon. I understand a few of my previous comments had a high level of bias in them, but I hope that I am not continuing that trend now.

Completely agree about the bailout deal and that Knock needs more support from the government. Very interesting articles in those papers last week about Enda's promises before he became Taoiseach. All in all though, new routes to the right destinations could have a hugely positive impact on the airport.

They will go from 4 FG TD's in Mayo to zero if they do not apply the same rules as was applied to other airports. Without state aid Shannon would be closed by now.

They cannot put that genie back in the bottle especially for an airport that is pumping so much badly needed money into the local economy like Knock. An airport in this region is much more than just an airport.

Bucket and spade routes end at SNN for winter as they do in Knock. Memmingen breaking also. The length of the lists are probably equal! :-P

Bucket and spade routes end at SNN for winter as they do in Knock. Memmingen breaking also. The length of the lists are probably equal! :-P

I was referring to the routes that seem to be ending completely and not just for the winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

A friendly reminder to keep on topic and no Knock v Shannon sniping.

Germanwings have no flights bookable so looks like they won't be returning in 2015. With SNN-KUN going twice weekly in 2015 it's almost confirmation that NOC-KUN is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

Germanwings have no flights bookable so looks like they won't be returning in 2015. With SNN-KUN going twice weekly in 2015 it's almost confirmation that NOC-KUN is gone.

Not necessarily. Not all airlines have updated their 2015 schedule. Flybe last time I checked can't be booked past December yet.

man98 wrote: »
    Not all airlines have updated their 2015 schedule

From what I saw on pprune, they said that Germanwings have their summer schedule finished already.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

mayomafia,

no need for such a response. This is the Knock thread and the poster was mentioning Knock routes. The conversation followed on nicely from their post. Suddenly you jump in with an attack on their motives.
    Maybe that poster has shown a SNN bias in the past, would you then attack them for posting SNN updates here?
    Less of the aggressive, respond with logic and debate rather than character attacks.

• Site Banned Posts: 638 ✭✭✭imurdaddy

The attempting to class Shannon & Knock as like for like is laughable! SNN has many other irons in the fire besides pax numbers which are key but not its only revenue stream.

SNN has maintenance and overhaul facilities, logistics and aircrew training, aircraft leasing companies based in SNN, parking and services to private aircraft including us pre clearances, coast gaurd station and ATC control center. Pax numbers are rising and looking healthy but at the same time there is a whole lot more movement's for various reasons, us military flights maintenance etc alot more than just pax, air contractors are basing there C130 Aircraft there to add to a737 cargo and ATR fed ex.

The management have stated they wish to develop the services side of SNN much more, time will tell. But so far companies and airlines are been attracted pax numbers are climbing nicely.

knock is not on the same level regarding services facilities routes etc, SNN has near twice numbers of pax than Knock.

Knock is a great service and facilitie for where it is and great employment boost to the areas, but you can not compare it with Dublin or Shannon, knock is a regional and nothing wrong with it, some people on here seem to think its equal to DUB or SNN

imurdaddy wrote: »
    The attempting to class Shannon & Knock as like for like is laughable! SNN has many other irons in the fire besides pax numbers which are key but not its only revenue stream.

SNN has maintenance and overhaul facilities, logistics and aircrew training, aircraft leasing companies based in SNN, parking and services to private aircraft including us pre clearances, coast gaurd station and ATC control center. Pax numbers are rising and looking healthy but at the same time there is a whole lot more movement's for various reasons, us military flights maintenance etc alot more than just pax, air contractors are basing there C130 Aircraft there to add to a737 cargo and ATR fed ex.

The management have stated they wish to develop the services side of SNN much more, time will tell. But so far companies and airlines are been attracted pax numbers are climbing nicely.

knock is not on the same level regarding services facilities routes etc, SNN has near twice numbers of pax than Knock.

Knock is a great service and facilitie for where it is and great employment boost to the areas, but you can not compare it with Dublin or Shannon, knock is a regional and nothing wrong with it, some people on here seem to think its equal to DUB or SNN

As much as I agree with you, I doubt this will be taken well in the topic, and you can't mention Shannon vs knock so. I'd stick on topic if I were you.

As much as I agree with you, I doubt this will be taken well in the topic, and you can't mention Shannon vs knock so. I'd stick on topic if I were you.

Just pointing out that its ridiculous for every post to end up in shannon v knock, they are not like for like.

imurdaddy wrote: »
    Just pointing out that its ridiculous for every post to end up in shannon v knock, they are not like for like.

So let's try and avoid that subject?

• Advertisement

So let's try and avoid that subject?

ya suits me! I just felt compelled to clarify that point.

so any more knock news??

Advertisement