Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer questions you'd be embarrassed to ask any where else!

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Rubecula wrote: »
    Everything on my computer is working fine. I can go through my various files at a faster speed than I really need.

However my internet connection speed is getting slower by the day for some reason. (It has always been slow due to things outside my control.) but in the last week it has gone so slow I go and make a cup of tea and have a bite to eat while I am waiting, and it seems to have trouble doing two things at once.

(I like to listen to music while I potter around on here, but there are a lot of 'breaks' and stop starts.

Not sure what I can do about it, any ideas that may help?
    Well, start with:

Who are you with for ISP?

Where do you live?

What flavour of windows do you run?

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

DeVore wrote: »
    Well, start with:

Who are you with for ISP?

Where do you live?

What flavour of windows do you run?

DeV.

I am now with BT, I live on the island of Anglesey in a fairly rural location and I use XP.

Oddly the computer itself is compounding matters now by running slower. I think it needs a good clear out, but this is not my original computer and I am not sure how to give it a clean. I did a system restore and got rid of a bit of stuff that is not required, but it hasn't improved matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭looksee

System restore just takes you back a couple of days or wherever you go to, it is useful if you have downloaded something that is causing trouble, but it will not speed things up.

The easiest thing to improve things is defragment. (Is that what you meant?) Go to: Start - My Computer - Control Panel (category view) - Pick a category - Performance and Maintenance - Rearrange items on hard disk - when the window opens click on Analyze. It will tell you whether you need to defragment. If you do it can take quite a while so don't set it going if you are pushed for time. It can improve things quite a lot and it is 'harmless'.

The other thing is Free up space on hard disk. Or do this http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-vista/Delete-temporary-Internet-files. The only problem with this is that you will find yourself having to put in all your passwords again. Its a bit of a nuisance but could be worth it.

looksee wrote: »
    System restore just takes you back a couple of days or wherever you go to, it is useful if you have downloaded something that is causing trouble, but it will not speed things up.

The easiest thing to improve things is defragment. (Is that what you meant?) Go to: Start - My Computer - Control Panel (category view) - Pick a category - Performance and Maintenance - Rearrange items on hard disk - when the window opens click on Analyze. It will tell you whether you need to defragment. If you do it can take quite a while so don't set it going if you are pushed for time. It can improve things quite a lot and it is 'harmless'.

The other thing is Free up space on hard disk. Or do this http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-vista/Delete-temporary-Internet-files. The only problem with this is that you will find yourself having to put in all your passwords again. Its a bit of a nuisance but could be worth it.

Thanks for this. Done the defrag thingy and it does seem a lot better. I will see how it goes from here before I go any further. (By the way regarding that setting for performance and maintenance, it has totally altered the screen appearance, but that's nowt to worry about LOL) Thank you again for that.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

You should go here: http://www.speedtest.net/

and run the Speed Test (great big BEGIN button, top of the site. Dont mind any of the "perform a scan" ads).

When you get your answer, paste it in here. Mine, for example, on a fairly fat UPC line is:
    1573599874.png

(to get that, click Share Results, and then the Forum tab to copy the right code).

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭shootermacg

You should go here: http://www.speedtest.net/

and run the Speed Test (great big BEGIN button, top of the site. Dont mind any of the "perform a scan" ads).

When you get your answer, paste it in here. Mine, for example, on a fairly fat UPC line is:
    1573599874.png

(to get that, click Share Results, and then the Forum tab to copy the right code).

DeV.

1573616342.png

Finally ^ ^

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

My download speed is 6.98 Mbps
    the Upload speed is 0.85 Mbps

what does this mean please?

& is it the Upload speed thats causing delays?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭golden virginia

Well i reckon its low for download and upload, but I suppose...so what.
    Internet speed had gotten very fast here in Ireland ( not all parts).
    If you are just doing average use - ie not trying to download TV or movies or upload you should be grand.
    My test performed just now is upload - 6.51 upload 0.29
    This is grand for me,, and I'm always online,, I watch my TV online even!

I read in the posts above that your computer is getting slow,,, try empty your caches. http://www.ehow.com/how_2293053_clear-cache-windows-xp.html Also what works great is to clear your hard-drive and reload your XP discs. Try this if your cache clear doesnt work.

Caches - each time you visit a website it leave a tiny bit of memory - cache. Over time this really builds up,,, its best to clear these about once a month.
    I never remember to do this,, the last time i did it, it took my mac about 4 hours to clear them!

Sorry BB got you mixed up with Rubes posts - your internet is faster than mine ( eircom basic dublin) so I cant see a problem. i was slower but a few months ago Eircom were trying to sell me a phone package - i declined - but they said that they noticed i was on orginal 2mb broadband scheme and offered to upgrade me to 12mb for free - they said this was now the standard package for same price - it did speed things up so maybe ask them for this if yo dont have it .

Also - clearing caches does make a big difference!

I think the cahes could help

and I might try the re-frag above too

thanks for your help guys :)

• Advertisement

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1573805951.png

I can't seem to post the image for some reason but the link shows my amazing speed :(

Not good is it? But it can't get better until they replace the worn out old wires and cables and stop leaving me as an 'end user'

*sigh*

Thanks for all your help though folks.

1573805951.png

Oh a quick edit LOL I got it up. (The image guys, the image) Anyway you can see it now. I don't like to say anything is crap, but that is just... well crap really.

on the plus side..............youve made me feel much better about mine :D

BBDBB wrote: »
    on the plus side..............youve made me feel much better about mine :D

You git.

OG Ban him ban him LOL

if only I could find the delete key I wouldnt get in half the trouble I do:o:D

rofl

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

BBDBB wrote: »
    if only I could find the delete key I wouldnt get in half the trouble I do:o:D
    I'm still looking for the 'Any' key.

I'm still looking for the 'Any' key.

no wonder its in hiding, everyone is looking to hit it!

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Don't tell anybody you er' saw me here but (some of my posts don't make me too popular with a few rough types)What if the Shinners decided to trace me(whisper) how safe is my identity here on boards.??always greatful for a wee tip.
    SERIOUSLY I MEAN.

paddyandy wrote: »
    Don't tell anybody you er' saw me here but (some of my posts don't make me too popular with a few rough types)What if the Shinners decided to trace me(whisper) how safe is my identity here on boards.??always greatful for a wee tip.

Arrah, you'll be grand if you cook us an Ulster Fry every morn, wee paddyandy.Lots of sausages and I prefer me wee eggs over easy. If the shinners trace you , they will be so distracted by the wee grub,, you'll manage to slip away out the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Plenty of space for banter and chat in the chat thread. Lets keep this one a bit more specific to handling 'puta issues. No problems with a bit of humour but the humour and chat should be tied to the thread topic rather then just for the sake of chatting.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement

To get back on topic, is it possible to have a desktop computer with better internet connection speed than the normal land line gives you?

Try wireless broadband - it has to be faster. You can get a "Wireless card" for your desktop ( I bought one about 4 years ago for a tenner). A wireless service provider will probably be cheaper too!

I am now with BT, I live on the island of Anglesey in a fairly rural location and I use XP.

Oddly the computer itself is compounding matters now by running slower. I think it needs a good clear out, but this is not my original computer and I am not sure how to give it a clean. I did a system restore and got rid of a bit of stuff that is not required, but it hasn't improved matters.

How about this crowd Exwavia http://www.uswitch.com/broadband/news/2011/07/anglesey_super_fast_broadband_network_completed/ You can ring them and ask them what wireless card they'd recommend for your computer. My one is a Belkin - cheapest model - it works fine!

The problem with that is it relies on the landline to get a signal to the house. I have no problem with that as my router is wireless. What I need is satellite connection or something like that to totally remove the need of a landline.

I know all about the Anglesey thing, but for now they are not putting the new fibre optics in here. I am in a small village and therefore not worth bothering with by thses big companies, not enough if any profit in it for them.

But thank you for the effort I do appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭CWone

Great thread

To get back on topic, is it possible to have a desktop computer with better internet connection speed than the normal land line gives you?
    No. It would be like having a huge industrial water processing plant at the end of a hose pipe. The data aint getting there any quicker. Now, a faster computer is always very nice to work with but it wont make the internet work faster.

You're problem there is BT. 0.7 is a woeful score for broadband. You should phone them up and ask them to check the line from their end as thats scandalously poor connection to be charging broadband for.

Alternatives will depend on your location and suppliers, but most connections would be better than what you have.

DeV.

What I need is satellite connection or something like that to totally remove the need of a landline.

That is what i'm taking about - removing the need for a landline. maybe I'm completely off target but this crowd can get a grant that makes it free - and no landline needed http://www.exwavia.co.uk/

No. It would be like having a huge industrial water processing plant at the end of a hose pipe. The data aint getting there any quicker. Now, a faster computer is always very nice to work with but it wont make the internet work faster.

You're problem there is BT. 0.7 is a woeful score for broadband. You should phone them up and ask them to check the line from their end as thats scandalously poor connection to be charging broadband for.

Alternatives will depend on your location and suppliers, but most connections would be better than what you have.

DeV.

Thanks DeV, I agree that it is woeful but that is normal for the village I am in. I would like to say a rude word here but I don't do that sort of thing. I intend to get in touch during the week ans see what is going on.
    That is what i'm taking about - removing the need for a landline. maybe I'm completely off target but this crowd can get a grant that makes it free - and no landline needed http://www.exwavia.co.uk/

WOW that looks very interesting GV, thank you for that one. I think I will be looking at that as soon as my contract with BT expires. (Unfortunately it is not long since I took the contract out. I can live with it until then though. I will keep that link in mind though. Brilliant find. Thanks again.) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Gotta be the best thread on boards - can't believe I have FINALLY figured out how to multi-quote!!! Thank you so much!

• Advertisement

Rubecula, when you ring the, up tell the, you are going to end your account prematurely and move to another provider because the quality of broadband is so poor as to make them be in breach of contract for service. If they give you any grief, tell them you will report it to OFCOM. If they offer to help, have the, check your line there and then and explain why it's so poor. If they can't fix it in a week or two, tell them you consider the contract unfulfilled and thus null and void and make sure they concur so that they agree to not charge you any more and not report you for bad credit.
    This is legit, you are fully entitled not to be bound by a contract which is not fulfilling its end of the bargain.

Btw, those satellite connections are fine for browsing and mail etc, but not great for fast interactive games machines like XBOX or PS3 when playing multiplayer online.

DeV.

Advertisement