Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viva

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Passed my viva, minor corrections. Went extremely well, very positive, very fair, a very good discussion. Few things to sort out but nothing overly major or fundamental (spelling, grammar, add a few sentences to clarify points). I did do a PowerPoint presentation on a laptop and the examiners enjoyed that. The chair of the viva said it was one of the best defences he's ever seen, so aye, good craic!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

El Siglo wrote: »
    Passed my viva, minor corrections. Went extremely well, very positive, very fair, a very good discussion. Few things to sort out but nothing overly major or fundamental (spelling, grammar, add a few sentences to clarify points). I did do a PowerPoint presentation on a laptop and the examiners enjoyed that. The chair of the viva said it was one of the best defences he's ever seen, so aye, good craic!!!

Congratulations! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Got my viva tomorrow morning. Just trying to relax a bit tonight, I've read all that will fit in my brain at this stage. Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Well all that relaxing worked, passed with minor corrections! Examiners were tough but fair, which is all you can really ask for. Just some typos and clarifications of certain aspects but otherwise all good. Delighted!

Now how long does this elation usually last before you realise that you have to go and get a 'real' job now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Manco

Well all that relaxing worked, passed with minor corrections! Examiners were tough but fair, which is all you can really ask for. Just some typos and clarifications of certain aspects but otherwise all good. Delighted!

Now how long does this elation usually last before you realise that you have to go and get a 'real' job now?
    Congratulations! Hopefully that's me three years down the line. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I have mine on September 9th. Quite nervous about it, as I have never interviewed particularly well.

At the moment I'm putting together the presentation which I have to give prior to the questioning. I have a skeleton structure, but in case I'm omitting anything important, I'd love to hear what others have put into theirs (those who have done presentations; I understand it is not always a requirement).

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭BumblebeeGirl

*thread bump*

Submitting my thesis in afew days and my viva is in 2.5 weeks time. I have one publication and one in the process of submission for peer-review. Any tips for me?? Feeling nervous already...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Congrats on the publications! That's a big deal and should stand to you. Submitting is the bigger event, you know your stuff inside out at this stage so try to enjoy the defense

stinkle wrote: »
    Congrats on the publications! That's a big deal and should stand to you. Submitting is the bigger event, you know your stuff inside out at this stage so try to enjoy the defense

Thanks! I know the thesis well but I'm still a little rusty on the background theory. .if that makes sense..

Thanks! I know the thesis well but I'm still a little rusty on the background theory. .if that makes sense..
    It does, I recall stumbling a little over the background intro stuff myself! Defo go over that. Do you have to give a public talk or anything beforehand? If so, be sure to blab about the publications!

• Advertisement

stinkle wrote: »
    It does, I recall stumbling a little over the background intro stuff myself! Defo go over that. Do you have to give a public talk or anything beforehand? If so, be sure to blab about the publications!

Yeah 40mins presentation before the private viva! More nervous about the defense than the thesis editing in the coming days!

Well the talk should set you up nicely before you go in. The time will fly by when youre in the room, honest. The hard work is all done at this point

Just to give an update on my viva..passed with minor typos and graph fixing. I was in the room with the examiners for 1 hr 20mins max. The external was happy with the standard of work and asked very basic questions..or told me the answers to many! It turned into a discussion in the end.

The presentation itself was the most nerve wracking, I was very emotional and holding it together was tough.

Anyway I agree with everyone else, the work is already done once you have your viva so be confident in your findings.

Now I can sleep soundly at night! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Zoinks

I had mine recently. It went well :)

It was quite convivial and lasted 2-2.5 hours.

Advertisement