Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live self-Builds - mod warning in post no. 1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 dordali

Building a 2350ft2 house in Co. Galway.
    Block build. Contractor doing the complete build.
    First digger arrived on site yesterday. Driveway and house footprint dug out and some of driveway stoned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭metalscrubber

Plan to start build on 3000 sq ft two story in late summer. Have being refused planning on family plot first time around - second application goes in this week. Have being reading / learning from you guys from the sidelines for a couple of months. I'm sure I'll get to know some of you far too well over the build.

D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

I have the plumber and electrician doing their 1st fixes at the moment in a 2200 sq ft dormer.

Hey there tinofapples. Can you tell me approx how much it has cost to build your house? We are currently waiting for planning permission on a story and a half, but may have to look at dormer plans if this falls through. We're hoping to put a budget together so an idea of cost would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭ballystephen

I wonder how many people are actually are building their "self-builds" themselves.I am learning each new skill/trade as I have to tackle it and I know no short cuts have been taken on my house.I am a bricklayer by trade and am lucky to get advice from the best tradesmen I have worked with in the past.Into 3rd year so will be getting plasterers in next month instead of taking a week course in plastering, So little time so much to do!
    Regards
    BallyStepen

• I wonder how many people are actually are building their "self-builds" themselves.I am learning each new skill/trade as I have to tackle it and I know no short cuts have been taken on my house.I am a bricklayer by trade and am lucky to get advice from the best tradesmen I have worked with in the past.Into 3rd year so will be getting plasterers in next month instead of taking a week course in plastering, So little time so much to do!
    Regards
    BallyStepen

I have done the majority of the work on my "self-build" single handed (I have an engineer overseeing the works - for mortgage & insurance purposes).

1, planning application - I drew up the plans & submitted the application, had percolation tests done by an engineer.
    2, setting out - I measured the boundary position, the building line the footings etc, then with a 360 digger & driver, dug driveway, footings, land drains & nailed fence posts. then laid steelwork in foundations.

3, foundations - arranged & supervised concrete pour after engineer visit.

4 external walls - Using an ICF system I erected these & arranged concrete pump for filling void.

5, roof - got someone else to do this bit :cool:

6 floor & UFH - I laid all the steelwork & pipes, got a contractor to lay the concrete.

7 windows - fitted by local DG company

8 internal walls & ceilings - All singlehanded

9 plumbing - all singlehanded

10 electrics - contractor (legal reasons)

11 MVHR - contractor

12 kitchen units - local contractor

13 paint & tiles etc - mostly singlehanded plus help from missus

look at the website for blow by blow details

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭mrs aol

We're buiding a 3500sqf eco house in Co. Cork. We have the slab foundation down and that's about all on site so far. Our house is being mainly built in a factory in Germany and will be shipped over next month. Due to be in in June! lots of decissions being finalised now - feeling the pressure a bit. House being built in 2 parts and we'll move into first building while the second half is being done. Lucky with our design as it's perfect to building in 2 halves.

• Administrators, Sports Moderators Posts: 21,676 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭smashey

mrs aol wrote:
    We're buiding a 3500sqf eco house in Co. Cork. We have the slab foundation down and that's about all on site so far. Our house is being mainly built in a factory in Germany and will be shipped over next month. Due to be in in June! lots of decissions being finalised now - feeling the pressure a bit. House being built in 2 parts and we'll move into first building while the second half is being done. Lucky with our design as it's perfect to building in 2 halves.

Is this a Huf House?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭mrs aol

No it's not a huf house, (though a little bit similar in some ways), It's made mostly from wood not steel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Ewan

breaking ground in 4-6 weeks...head wrecked trying to decide on a heating system....geothermal with g.f/f.f under floor....quotes coming in between 20-27K....cant see where all this is going....someone is lining their pockets....heat pump...5-7K....another 5-7K for the piping and collectors and everything else.....thats an awfull lot of moola for installation/comissioning,,,,
    Now to my question.....does under floor heating work efficiently from an oil boiler....or is the time from "turn-on" to "heating room" going to use a lot of oil....? could do with some advice please...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Well looks like our planning is being pushed out another 3 months. Stupid planners have queried that my other half is actually from the area, even though we have letter from the priest saying she made her communion and confirmation there, from the National School saying she went there and from the various community programmes she's involved in for the last 18 years! Really cant understand what goes on inside planners heads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭ballystephen

hi DB
    Just got back online.Had to take down broadband box for rendering but shes back in service now.Checked out your site .Very impressed.It all looks so neat and tidy.How did you sort out website?Now I have broadband i might as well set out my stall.
    Regards
    BS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Ewan wrote:
    breaking ground in 4-6 weeks...head wrecked trying to decide on a heating system....geothermal with g.f/f.f under floor....quotes coming in between 20-27K....cant see where all this is going....someone is lining their pockets....heat pump...5-7K....another 5-7K for the piping and collectors and everything else.....thats an awfull lot of moola for installation/comissioning,,,,
    Now to my question.....does under floor heating work efficiently from an oil boiler....or is the time from "turn-on" to "heating room" going to use a lot of oil....? could do with some advice please...

I've had an oil boiler running a heating system on a new self-build since October. Underfloor heating under tiles downstairs and rads upstairs. I looked into ground source heat pumps, wood pellet boilers etc but prices are prohibitive. Prices may come down at some stage and it will be relatively straightforward to replace the €750 boiler if it comes to that (if the boiler is in an outhouse especially). In the meantime the 20k you were quoted will buy a hell of a lot of oil.

My neighbour showed me his ground source heat pump system which used pipes spread out under his lawn. He was less keen to show his electricity meter which was spinning off the wall while the system was running.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Quick update on my build!

I'm just ready to get the roof started, hopefully itll start after the easter weekend and once the felt is up I really need to order the windows and doors as well as get a plasterer and electrician sorted out. I guess its going to get pretty busy over the next couple of months! How is everyone else progressing?

• Slow but steady progress, just the living room, hall Utility & rear toilet to fill/plaster (Fermacell FST) etc .

Getting there see the website for latest.

We should have a sticky of self-build websites & blogs.

• Administrators, Sports Moderators Posts: 21,676 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭smashey

Kenzie Hundreds Matchbox, this is a sticky. Too much sun in Athlone.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 45,759 ✭✭✭✭muffler

smashey wrote:
    :D:D

• smashey wrote:
    :D

What I meant is just one page dedicated to websites & blogs.

No sun for me, stuck in work in Tallaght :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭mjffey

Now we can post here also. We just got permission to build our 100M2 extension to our 1920-ish cottage her in Mayo.
    It will be open plan living/kitchen/dining (5.5 x 14m)and then a huge utilityroom (3.5 x 6m). The existing cottage will become all bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and study.

It looks as if we have to do it ourself as we can't find a builder who is willing to qoute. They either come, say yes, yes, yes and you never see them again, or they don't come at all.
    It can't be because it's too small a job, 100M2. That's almost a complete seize for a cottage.

But, if they don't want, ok, we'll do it ourself.
    Next week we will go and have a look at a few houses that are being build with poroton block, because that's what we are going to use. 365mm with the special plaster for in and outside. No extra insulation as we don't want an airtight house. We always have a window or door open somewhere for the dogs, the cats or just because we love the fresh air comming in and the birds singing outside.
    And we will have a stove, so then it's not airtight anyway.

We'll keep you updated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Mac p

Hi,
    I am trying to buy a site with outline planning at the moment in Mayo, but there is an anurement clause attached. Can any one offer advice on the best way to handle or recommend an engineer to assist? Also, looking ahead to the build ( if I can get planning ) can anyone offer the cost per st ft of their home or something similar to 2 storey 3500 st ft.
    Thanks,
    mac p

Mac p wrote:
    Hi,
    I am trying to buy a site with outline planning at the moment in Mayo, but there is an anurement clause attached. Can any one offer advice on the best way to handle or recommend an engineer to assist? Also, looking ahead to the build ( if I can get planning ) can anyone offer the cost per st ft of their home or something similar to 2 storey 3500 st ft.
    Thanks,
    mac p
    What type of inurement is it?

Also you can read back through this thread and also the How long did your build take sticky on the main page where you will get info on prices etc

• Advertisement

Hi Muffler,

The son of the site owner received the outline permission and he must build and live in the property, he may sell the house after 5 years. Some advice would suggest that there is a way around this clause.
    rgds
    mac p

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭alibride

well the foundation was started in late december. they are starting the roof on friday. the scoffolding is going up on wed (didnt budget for that)!! meeting the window guy 2moro, so hopefully the roof and stuff should be fully completed by mid may!! have the electrician and plumber sorted, trying to decide on a plasterer at the moment got quotes from 11.5k to 15k (2100sq ft house) and large garage!!
    the weather is great to start building now - long may it last.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭mjffey

As we want to build our house with Poroton block we had a look at a house that is currently being build. We got the tel. no. from FBT.
    Michael, that is the guy that is building these houses, showed us the house. He worked with poroton in Germany for more then 12 years and now started his own business here back in Ireland.
    He uses German builders and a house goes up in three days up to ring beam level. Of course it depends on the size of the house. This one was 18 x 9 m. Dormer style.
    It looks really very, very good. He will quote us for our extension and maybe it is tempting enough to let him do the building work instead of doing it ourself.

I'll post here as soon as we get his quote.

have been advised to meet with the planning auth to discuss the issue before making an application, any one with any advice would be great?

Mac p wrote:
    have been advised to meet with the planning auth to discuss the issue before making an application, any one with any advice would be great?
    Mac p, this particular thread is concentrating more on the construction end of things and although we have stretched a point to accomodate the odd planning query you are in fact quite a bit away from that stage. Please start a new thread if you have queries in relation to pre-planning issues. I was going to advise you to do this with your first post but it contained a question in relation to building cost so I let it go then.

For any other users reading through this thread we would like to keep the posts referring only to the constuction stages if possible. We can make a seperate sticky for planning queries if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

currently blocking ground floor in my(our! ;) ) self build. hope to have hollowcore put in in the next 2 weeks.

doing a little self study these days on what kind of wiring i am going to put in. am thinking 2 network points to each room, one can be used for telephone if need be! loads to think about, alarm, cctv, network, video distribution, solar panels......

note to Salmon above: if you are ready for felting, then you will need a plasterer once that is done to plaster your chimney before the slates/tiles go on. i might be wrong, you might have no chimneys!
    even though i am a long way off plastering, i have a crew booked already as we have the chimney to plaster, a step in the house as well and then get the outside plastered as soon as the windows are put in so we can get rid of the scaffolding outside!

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Cheers kooman! The carpenter (My Bro) Told me this yesterday and I think I'll be ok for the chimneys! I have an uncle who is a plasterer and my fiancees uncle is also one so I might give them a call to get that part done at the weekend! Not sure who I'll get to plaster the whole house yet! Decisions decisions. I just got a plastering quote of €6 ft2 but beat him down to €5 *nudge wink. How does that compare to current quotes other people are getting for plastering?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

i have been told upteen times.... "cheaper is not always better!" and i have seen it already! my plasterer is 20k for a 300m2 house(storey and a half) and 48m2 garage!
    I tried 4 men for quotes, only got 2 back!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭alibride

Our roofer was supposed to come on the 2nd of April, then it was the 16th, then today but now its changed to Wedneday, so we are a month behind and would like to be in by Xmas.!!
    I presume this is the start of things to come........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭metalscrubber

Got the hated phone call today - Planning refused again. Two reasons. Ring Architect who says 'That's great, down to two - we can win this, we can' Its not his **ckin life.

Fummmmmmm

Metal

Advertisement