Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Strike is over. What happens now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Some details on the BPO and their requirements for members.
    https://twitter.com/FJBeef/status/1182391484714291204?s=19

What do people think about having to commit 100% of your kill to producer groups?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,055 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

What do people think about having to commit 100% of your kill to producer groups?

If they do what they're promising they'll have no problem getting farmers to commit 100%.
    If they don't deliver, they'll get none.
    Our experience with lambs is that factories won't compete for groups, I wouldn't be surprised if similar happens with beef when everything settles down.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

First off the Ch were bought just over 4 weeks ago and are doing about 800-1kg/day at present they averaged 398 kgs the day they were purchased. I expect to house at an average of 460 kgs about Nov 10th. They will be on silage minerals and calcium over the winter and Will be turned out around March 1st. I expect them to grow over the winter but only put on about 250 grams/ day(usually coloured cattle hold there flesh better than FR. I expect them to be just shy of 609jgs at turnout On hitting grass they will average 1.3kgs over the first 100 day to be over 600 kgs in late May up on 620kgs on June 10ths.They may be on ration already or not depending on what I target for early finishing.
    But I assume that I intend to carry until august. On ration 3kgs/ day ( that the average going into the troughs across the finishing bunch) they will be eating a tad more than that as they will be stronger at the troughs.. They will continue to do 1.1kgd/day. In 65 days to mid August I expect another 75 kgs. I expect them to kill over 370 kgs if around that long. I had an LM bullock bought August Ist last year kill 395 kgs between the strikes in mud August he was 333kgs at purchase. I still have his two companions. Friesians bought the same day at 395kgs averaged 340 in mid July. AA will not do near that weight gain HE will do in between.
    Too many lads spend too long around the ring and too little time on the farm

Do you have your own scales? If not, how can you be so confident of weights?

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 18,142 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Do you have your own scales? If not, how can you be so confident of weights?

Yes but have not used it in 18 months. I work back off hook weights. I killed Friesians at 330 kgs end of May this year. They came in with a bunch weighting 390 kgs last week in July last year they were in the shed for 7-10 on arrival. Give it that they were 20 kgs above that on arrival and killed 49-% they were about 670 at slaughter. They were on the farm 290days and averagedover 0.9kgs/day and were in the shed 110days. Bought another bunch 380kgs November 10th they were not turned until late March. They killed 325kgs average mid August. Both lots were on ration for only 4-5weeks. The last bunch spend Mid November to mid February on rape and were housed then until late March. Rape was making up 50% of the diet during this period.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭memorystick

Are base prices now below pre protest levels?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

Are base prices now below pre protest levels?

about the same.. but if you do manage to get cattle into a factory and they are cutting for weights you will be cleaned. Kepak are cutting 30 cent on cattle over 480kg dead so your base would then be 3.15. This thing of letting famers know 4 months in adance of changing weight cuts so far hasn't worked as kepak before that were cutting 20 cent over 480kg .
    Other factories were not cutting after the protests now they are so like before the protests who are they accuntable to. Once these talks start with the beef forum they need to be drilling home hard all thats gone on since the protests ended. Many factories are not complying with what was agreed.I think the factories are really making the farmer suffer for it now

• Registered Users Posts: 24,363 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

gerryirl wrote: »
    about the same.. but if you do manage to get cattle into a factory and they are cutting for weights you will be cleaned. Kepak are cutting 30 cent on cattle over 480kg dead so your base would then be 3.15. This thing of letting famers know 4 months in adance of changing weight cuts so far hasn't worked as kepak before that were cutting 20 cent over 480kg .
    Other factories were not cutting after the protests now they are so like before the protests who are they accuntable to. Once these talks start with the beef forum they need to be drilling home hard all thats gone on since the protests ended. Many factories are not complying with what was agreed.I think the factories are really making the farmer suffer for it now

Talks of the blockages returning

Reggie. wrote: »
    Talks of the blockages returning

That would not be such a good plan

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Got 5 away this evening. Only gone because some other lad made a fcuk up. Got the call at 6.30. Going to Ballyjamesduff. Didn't even think to ask what price. Just glad they're gone. 4 overage last will kill 1 day shy of 30 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    Got 5 away this evening. Only gone because some other lad made a fcuk up. Got the call at 6.30. Going to Ballyjamesduff. Didn't even think to ask what price. Just glad they're gone. 4 overage last will kill 1 day shy of 30 months.

4 overage for killing tomorrow in ballyjamesduff? I must have being spun a yarn from my agent then.he claimed they were only killing under 30months for China in liffey there tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

ruwithme wrote: »
    4 overage for killing tomorrow in ballyjamesduff? I must have being spun a yarn from my agent then.he claimed they were only killing under 30months for China in liffey there tomorrow.

Over 40 to go here. All now just gone overage. Very hard to get them away. A major loss coming down the line I would think

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Only gone because of another mans foul up ! Reckon agent was just looking for a few whiteheads to fill the load.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭epfff

CHOPS01 wrote: »

No your agent would never lie to you. He is your friend looking out for you against the big old mean factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

heard that because liffey agreed to a base price for a certain amount of time they have been killing as little cattle as possible. I would expect that when this bonus period time is up that the riding will really begin!

duffysfarm wrote: »
    heard that because liffey agreed to a base price for a certain amount of time they have been killing as little cattle as possible. I would expect that when this bonus period time is up that the riding will really begin!

you hear all sorts of rumours but processors will be reluctant to have us go outside the gates again. They have another issue if they keep prices too low lads will not fill sheds and downsize there operations over 2-3 years it has happened before. As well processors will want to stretch cattle around until the Christmas kill is done. But Y30 month cattle will be getting scarce from now on. As well most lads that are finishing have a certain amount of 30-33 month old cattle if these are not worked through they will not be replacing with younger cattle to finish.

The big issue seems to be cattle that are not QA that previously dribbled through the mart. There seems to be a back log of the but processors do not want them and they are selling at 1.5/kg from what I am hearing. Some finishers are buying and going to hold for 70 days

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,132 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I see that Beef Plan/Indpendant Farmers are still at it. Their combined efforts have created the biggest cluster fook in my time as a farmer.

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/mii-director-denied-entry-as-farmers-protest-at-ag-house/

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

totally agree. you would think that larry & co. were in charge of the protests the way things turned out for them. The factories are going to have a very profitable year this year and next
    Base price wrote: »
    I see that Beef Plan/Indpendant Farmers are still at it. Their combined efforts have created the biggest cluster fook in my time as a farmer.

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/mii-director-denied-entry-as-farmers-protest-at-ag-house/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

How is it affecting you? Are they not people trying to ensure they are not made liable for the stand they took for all of us?

Fair play to then l say. I'd like to Thank them for their efforts.

And the same negative nellies thanking your posts. Hang yer heads in shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yewtree

Muckit wrote: »

How is it affecting you? Are they not people trying to ensure they are not made liable for the stand they took for all of us?

Whats achieved stopping people going into a meeting?

All the farm orgs have agreed to go to the beef task force.
    It seems to me a militant minority whats to hold everone else to ransom

yewtree wrote: »
    Whats achieved stopping people going into a meeting?

All the farm orgs have agreed to go to the beef task force.
    It seems to me a militant minority whats to hold everone else to ransom

The majority of people are cowards and are too afraid of these bullies. Where would we be without the men and women of 1916.

• Advertisement

Muckit wrote: »

They have achieved nothing and won't achieve anything going forward.

The problem is too much beef being produced relative to markets, limits on production or encouragement to reduce production for environmental goods is the only positive that they could hope to achieve but they're too ignorant to look past the factories

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭Robson99

Factories moving the goalposts after only a couple of weeks. It's no wonder farmers are wound up again. And Healy coming out with his usual bull**** about how holy Larry and co are. He really is Larry's puppy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Be interesting to see how the state responds. You can't have anarchy.

Lads with no cattle to sell are hinting of returning to gates. It’s a disaster both ways.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Be interesting to see how the state responds. You can't have anarchy.

Of course you can have anarchy. The state responds to what it can respond to. We had anarchy by water meter protesters who disobeyed the law and got away with it.

The state will be very slow to goal ordinary hard working people. I disagree with what the farmers did this morning but I can understand there fustration. We already see that the processors are starting to disregard certain section of the agreement. One section of the agreement stated clearly that there would be no weight or age penalties on cattle and any such changes in weights and ages would need four months notice. Yet we have Kepak bringing out such a document and may be trying to implement it already.

Some lads have tunnel vision regarding the BPM. They nearly try to blame them for the wet weather. The processors had at least 3.3/kg if not 3/kg in there sights in late July. After the first strike they again tried it. With the present inspec bonus we are at a base of 3.52/kg. That 20-50c/kg ahead of where we be without the protests. Anyone that tries to say different is just trying to belittle what happened

Slava Ukrainii

Of course you can have anarchy. The state responds to what it can respond to. We had anarchy by water meter protesters who disobeyed the law and got away with it.

The state will be very slow to goal ordinary hard working people. I disagree with what the farmers did this morning but I can understand there fustration. We already see that the processors are starting to disregard certain section of the agreement. One section of the agreement stated clearly that there would be no weight or age penalties on cattle and any such changes in weights and ages would need four months notice. Yet we have Kepak bringing out such a document and may be trying to implement it already.

Some lads have tunnel vision regarding the BPM. They nearly try to blame them for the wet weather. The processors had at least 3.3/kg if not 3/kg in there sights in late July. After the first strike they again tried it. With the present inspec bonus we are at a base of 3.52/kg. That 20-50c/kg ahead of where we be without the protests. Anyone that tries to say different is just trying to belittle what happened

Foolish move by Kepak, all they had to do was stop taking heavy cattle

Prices stopped dropping around Europe and the market has strengthened somewhat since early August. Obviously it's all thanks to beef plan...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

They did but anarchy is a dangerous path to go down, not least in terms of public perception and mood. There's a public PR exercise to be won too.

Lads with no cattle to sell are hinting of returning to gates. It’s a disaster both ways.

Very valid point, they should have nothing to do with any negotiations.....they're in the marts every week selling away and avoiding the wet weather.
    ''Very easy to be brave when you're not a victim of the war''

• Advertisement

wrangler wrote: »
    Very valid point, they should have nothing to do with any negotiations.....they're in the marts every week selling away and avoiding the wet weather.
    ''Very easy to be brave when you're not a victim of the war''

jasus for once wrangler I actually agree with you :D

Advertisement