Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Travelling by Train in Germany

• 07-10-2019 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭

Just looking for some advice. I'll be in Luxembourg at the end of the month and need to get to Munich. As I'm not in any hurry I was looking at taking a train as opposed to plane as I'd get to see more of the country. I was just wondering are the trains reliable? I.e. would I be OK in making my connecting trains or is it a bit tight?

492503.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭boccy23

Barney224 wrote: »
    Just looking for some advice. I'll be in Luxembourg at the end of the month and need to get to Munich. As I'm not in any hurry I was looking at taking a train as opposed to plane as I'd get to see more of the country. I was just wondering are the trains reliable? I.e. would I be OK in making my connecting trains or is it a bit tight?

492503.jpg

Very reliable from what I have experienced. Also, if it is a major connection, they tend to hold the outbound train to suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Trains are very reliable but not infallible, i.e. a bit of a storm or technical issues can throw things completly awry, but thats the exception rather than the rule.
    Anyhow, a 14 minute connection is a massive amount of time so you should be ok. You just go down the stairs to a connecting tunnel and up the next stairs to the next train.
    Should your incoming service be delayed then you just take the next service in the direction of your destination, even if your original ticket is restricted to specific trains. You have a train every hour from Saarbrucken to Mannheim and Mannheim to Munich, so if the connection is missed you arent waiting all day, just an hour.

If you really arent in a rush and want a bit of scenery, rather than going via Saarbrucken (to the south) you could route via the Mosel and Rhine valley (to the east) by adding Mainz or Koblenz as an intermediate stop. The bahn.com journey planner allows you to specifiy intermediate stations, and even add a duration of stop should you want to get out and have a break, leave it at 0.00 stop duration if you just want to pass through a certain station.
    Heres a few pics of the Mosel valley https://theculturetrip.com/europe/germany/articles/the-top-10-things-to-see-and-do-in-the-moselle-valley/
    and what you pass on the Rhine valley
    https://theculturetrip.com/europe/germany/articles/the-11-most-scenic-spots-on-a-rhine-river-cruise/

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Barney224

Trains are very reliable but not infallible, i.e. a bit of a storm or technical issues can throw things completly awry, but thats the exception rather than the rule.
    Anyhow, a 14 minute connection is a massive amount of time so you should be ok. You just go down the stairs to a connecting tunnel and up the next stairs to the next train.
    Should your incoming service be delayed then you just take the next service in the direction of your destination, even if your original ticket is restricted to specific trains. You have a train every hour from Saarbrucken to Mannheim and Mannheim to Munich, so if the connection is missed you arent waiting all day, just an hour.

If you really arent in a rush and want a bit of scenery, rather than going via Saarbrucken (to the south) you could route via the Mosel and Rhine valley (to the east) by adding Mainz or Koblenz as an intermediate stop. The bahn.com journey planner allows you to specifiy intermediate stations, and even add a duration of stop should you want to get out and have a break, leave it at 0.00 stop duration if you just want to pass through a certain station.
    Heres a few pics of the Mosel valley https://theculturetrip.com/europe/germany/articles/the-top-10-things-to-see-and-do-in-the-moselle-valley/
    and what you pass on the Rhine valley
    https://theculturetrip.com/europe/germany/articles/the-11-most-scenic-spots-on-a-rhine-river-cruise/

Cheers for that. Definitely sounds interesting. I'll check out some of the routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Poochie05

I noticed announcements on the train in Germany telling people of alternative connection also if the train is delayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

not sure about the national intercity service, but if it is anything like the system in Munich itself you will have no problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

There are direct bus services from Luxembourg to Frankfurt which probably see more of the country as it drives through and stops off at Trier. Flixbus do that route and I am sure others too, it's around 4 1/2 hour trip.

Numerous direct trains then from Frankfurt hb to Munich. Takes about 3 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭VG31

Go from Luxembourg to Frankfurt via Koblenz as that way you will see the Mosel and Rhine valleys.

i found the trains often would be late but as described theyd hold a major connection or youd get the next one no bother, i wouldnt sweat it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Trains are an absolute joy to get in Germany.
    A beautiful way to travel and take in the surroundings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

German efficiency at it's best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Look up www.seat61.com for general info.

Then go to www.bahn.de

Click the tab "Sparpreis-finder"

Spar = saver fare

https://www.seat61.com/international-trains/trains-from-Luxembourg.htm

Luxembourg to Munich, Salzburg, Innsbruck...
    Option 1, by daytime trains...

Simply check times & buy tickets at German Railways site www.bahn.de, Luxembourg to Munich in as little as 6h56. You print your own ticket.

Fares start at €29 in 2nd class or €59 in 1st class.

just avoid any journeys shown in the search results as including a bus as this is indeed just a bus and not a proper train.

Option 2, by Nightjet sleeper train...

Step 1, take the 18:33 regional train from Luxembourg to Koblenz - or perhaps take the 17:33 and have dinner in Koblenz.

Step 2, take the excellent Austrian Nightjet sleeper train from Koblenz to Munich or Innsbruck, leaving Koblenz at 22:18 and arriving Munich at 07:12 & Innsbruck at 09:14. Change in Munich for regular trains to Salzburg.

Fares for the Nightjet start at €59 in 6-berth couchettes, €69 in 4-berth couchettes, €99 with a bed in a 2-bed sleeper or €139 with a single-bed sleeper all to yourself. The sleeper & couchette fares include a light breakfast with tea or coffee in the morning.

Book this train at German Railways www.bahn.de - the cheapest way to split the journey is to book from Trier to Munich, Innsbruck or Salzburg (tip, I'd change Duration of transfer from standard to at least 45 minutes), as this is usually the same price as from Koblenz but includes the regional train between Trier and Koblenz. You print your own ticket. Then buy a Luxembourg-Trier regional ticket at the station and stay on the same direct train from Luxembourg to Koblenz, no need to get off at Trier or anything.

Now add a regional train ticket from Luxembourg to Trier either bought at the station or as another transaction at www.bahn.de. You'll need to leave Luxembourg around 18:00, but by all means leave earlier to avoid any delay and perhaps have dinner in Koblenz. Regional tickets are valid on any train.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Not very reliable is my experience.. but as said on bigger connections they will usually wait, which feeds back into more trains being late of course. If you stick to the main lines though you should be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭jetsonx

The German train network is over-rated. As has been said, it is great but certainly not infallible can be subject to delays.

The Austrians and Swiss actually run a better network.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭boccy23

jetsonx wrote: »
    The German train network is over-rated. As has been said, it is great but certainly not infallible can be subject to delays.

Have travelled the Swiss one extensively and this is true. But it ls also a damn sight more expensive than DB.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You're all making me a little panicky now about a two hour gap between arrival from a five hour ICE trip and a departure on a Nightjet overnight at Munich Hbf - 1700 to 1900 roughly.

Geuze wrote: »
    If you are not in any hurry, you could use a Quer-durchs-Land ticket, 44 euro for all day after 9am, travel on any Regional train (not ICE or IC).
    I really like that ticket but that's where I've encountered a lot of my problems with DB, more changes meaning more missed connections. Still if you've got lots of time it's great

L1011 wrote: »
    You're all making me a little panicky now about a two hour gap between arrival from a five hour ICE trip and a departure on a Nightjet overnight at Munich Hbf - 1700 to 1900 roughly.
    Two hours should really be fine!

The thing to bear in mind when talking about connections here is that usually trips are so well planned and trains so regular that they'd don't leave you so much transfer time if there is a delay, so they happen a lot more. With 2 hours you'll be fine

jetsonx wrote: »

To some extent.. but the routes are much more linear so you don't have to delay trains further to wait for transfers if there is a delay elsewhere, the Germans do

• Registered Users Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

To some extent.. but the routes are much more linear so you don't have to delay trains further to wait for transfers if there is a delay elsewhere, the Germans do
    +1
    even in France which has a comparible network length, its still not comparible.
    TGVs run on dedicated lines through 1000s of km of wilderness bypassing towns. They also tend to be shuttles to and from Paris rather than going from one end of the country to the other like german trains, so if one line / route / region suffers disturbance it does not transfer to other regions.

but, back to the OP, why are you leaving Luxembourg so late if you have to catch the last connecting in Munich in the evening?
    Is there any reason you couldnt get up off your rear end to get a train at 7am rather than 9am, which would have the pleasant side effect that you could spend a few hours in Munich without being in a rush should all go well?

But even for that 9am departure, theres plenty of buffer. Should you miss the connection in Saarbrucken theres a train an hour later to Mannheim (regional, but no slower than the TGV) and it connects with a train to Munich, as theres a train every hour from Mannheim to Munich.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

I've taken trains in Germany a few times are they are always spot on. Even the information displays tell you the exact spot the bike car will stop.
    Imagine Irish Rail doing that :D

On a different note, last year I got a ticket, Aachen to Brussels. A regular train with a connection somewhere in between. I wanted to upgrade to the ICE and I was told at the station I'd be fine, I would have to pay the difference to the inspector when they go around checking for tickets. No inspector showed up at all. Sweet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

It may have been perfect for you the one time you got a train in Germany, but that is not a fair representation of the train lines at all. Trains in Germany are delayed a lot, however, the delays tend to be short (5-10 mins).

If there are no delays then you do not need a lot of time to change platforms. 10 minutes would be plenty of time in most stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭xtradel

Download the DB app and you will get notifications of any delays and new itineraries for any connecting trains if required.

Advertisement