Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bulling heifers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

She's a good R which l like as opposed to a U.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Muckit wrote: »

Ya she prob is alright. Like those fleshy types for the winterage though. The more shapey ones are harder kept.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭Who2

I'd never mind giving a bit extra for a breeding heifer if they were quiet and turned out lucky. Bought a nice weanling privately off a friend today. January born around 350-360kg. €720. Might bull her next June. Should be plenty strong enough.

Your some friend, you stole her

Who2 wrote: »
    Your some friend, you stole her

I gave what I was asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭squinn2912

tanko wrote: »
    Nice colour, shape and good deep body to her, should make a good cow hopefully.

Thanks lad yea she has all the ingredients I wanted. I know her home well and that’s a help. I’ve been asking that man to sell me heifers the last 2 years so it’s nice to get those two.

• Advertisement

Muckit wrote: »

Good point that it’s hard to beat a good thick R cow with milk for calving and rearing. Upper end of R I like some shape

I'd never mind giving a bit extra for a breeding heifer if they were quiet and turned out lucky. Bought a nice weanling privately off a friend today. January born around 350-360kg. €720. Might bull her next June. Should be plenty strong enough.

You got on great she’s lovely. I’d have got something like that yesterday but I wanted onesbto bull this year. As a farmer you’re giving tgevwee bit extra for handling and keeping so yes it’s worth it cos hopefully she’s about for s long time yet. Good luck with you’re wee girl

Here’s a photo of the other girl. 14 mtgs, 428kgs at £815. She'll tighten up a wee bit in the next 6 weeks then I’ll try to get her bulled. I’ve a feeling she could work out better value

• Registered Users Posts: 9,203 ✭✭✭tanko

I gave what I was asked.

I haven't been in a mart far a month or so but from what i'm hearing it's doubtful she make any more there??

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Here’s a photo of the other girl. 14 mtgs, 428kgs at £815. She'll tighten up a wee bit in the next 6 weeks then I’ll try to get her bulled. I’ve a feeling she could work out better value

Oops the photo didn’t upload

• Advertisement

I haven't been in a mart far a month or so but from what i'm hearing it's doubtful she make any more there??

A good square heifer like that not overly muscled and suitable for breeding will hold its value relative to other stock. If I was selling I definitely wouldn’t take it. But throw the mart fees and haulage onto it and the fact it was his mate buying it then he wasn’t far out on what she’d be worth to run through the ring.

Anyone go to Carnaross today for the special sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 p dogg

Yeah I was at Carnaross today, I had my eye on a couple of Simmental
    heifers that were advertised but didn't even bid on them. Prices were bananas. One made 1500 around 340kgs. The other made around 1600 and was 365 kgs. While there was some outstanding heifers on show there were some pretty ordinary run of the mill weanlings in it aswell, making ridiculous money. A lot of limousin and Simmental heifers ranging from 300 to 350 kilos today making 1200 to 1500, at a normal weaning sale these same heifers would be bought between 850 and a thousand. Don't know how to make sense of it all.

p dogg wrote: »
    Yeah I was at Carnaross today, I had my eye on a couple of Simmental
    heifers that were advertised but didn't even bid on them. Prices were bananas. One made 1500 around 340kgs. The other made around 1600 and was 365 kgs. While there was some outstanding heifers on show there were some pretty ordinary run of the mill weanlings in it aswell, making ridiculous money. A lot of limousin and Simmental heifers ranging from 300 to 350 kilos today making 1200 to 1500, at a normal weaning sale these same heifers would be bought between 850 and a thousand. Don't know how to make sense of it all.

I totally agree! There’s a list of weights and prices on Facebook they look nuts. I dunno how they’d pay you back. Even 1100 looks a lot for plenty of them.
    Whatever avottbrhar the halter trained calves were crazy too. 3500. Only way to make that back is to do the same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 9,203 ✭✭✭tanko

There was a special Simmental sale in Ballyjamesduff on Wednesday nite, from what i heard prices weren't anything like today.

There was a special Simmental sale in Ballyjamesduff on Wednesday nite, from what i heard prices weren't anything like today.

One in north on Thursday. All sims in calf. Ie tags mainly. Making silly money. Calving mid nov on. 650/700 kgs and lots hitting £1600-£1800. Add 200 for euro. Some hit over the 2000. They weren’t showy type heifers just grand and in good calving order.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Simmental.

Same in Gort mart the other night. You would get an in calf heifer for the price of a maiden heifer at last years sale

Simmental. wrote: »
    Same in Gort mart the other night. You would get an in calf heifer for the price of a maiden heifer at last years sale

Thought anything worth buying in gort made enough. Was a lot of middling heifers in it.

Thought anything worth buying in gort made enough. Was a lot of middling heifers in it.

What sorta money we’re good ones making?

What sorta money we’re good ones making?

Weanlings 320-340kgs 1000-1200.

• Advertisement

Weanlings 320-340kgs 1000-1200.

That’s stuff enough I felt a touch hard done by giving £1115 for 550kgs about €1250

That’s stuff enough I felt a touch hard done by giving £1115 for 550kgs about €1250

I know they seem dear but I’d know a lot of the cows these heifers were bred from and You’d be a long time scouring the country to find them. We all hear the exceptional prices and I’d say if the top five were taken out the average wouldn’t be that high. The manager organized a special sale, done all the prep work and advertised fairly strong. I doubt anyone will be retiring off them soon. This farm is calving down hundreds of cows and with full time staff and a lot of money buried in them I’d say every penny back on them is needed to wipe their own faces. Fair play to them it went a lot better than I would have expected in the current climate.

Who2 wrote: »
    I know they seem dear but I’d know a lot of the cows these heifers were bred from and You’d be a long time scouring the country to find them. We all hear the exceptional prices and I’d say if the top five were taken out the average wouldn’t be that high. The manager organized a special sale, done all the prep work and advertised fairly strong. I doubt anyone will be retiring off them soon. This farm is calving down hundreds of cows and with full time staff and a lot of money buried in them I’d say every penny back on them is needed to wipe their own faces. Fair play to them it went a lot better than I would have expected in the current climate.

You talking about yesterday’s sale? I wouldn’t know the back breeding from the cattle but I know the manager personally, actually trained him, and he’s a fantastic fella so I’m more than pleased to see him doing so well.

They have huge overhead costs surely. Not sure if that’s relevant for their worth to a buyer though.
    Looking at it objectively I don’t know where they justify themselves. If you breed one of those €1600 girls next April and she has a bull calf (that’s all going well) then what does he need to make as a weanling to pay for her and himself. Those were average enough prices I’m not talking the halter trained ones that averaged €2300

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

I didn't make it to Carnaross on Saturday but was talking to a few lads who were at it, they said the heifers were excellent quality, Shorthorn or Simmental back breading in most of them. They were very well presented (as I seen some a neighbor bought) they are a credit to the farmer who bred them. A lot of work went into getting them right for the sale and the farmer got paid for it, fair play to him. Its good to see confidence in the suckler business as any one who bought these heifers for breading will have their blood lines on their farm for years to come. €1,000 - €1,100 seemed to buy a good few of the heifers with the exceptional ones make making over €2,000 and then the one shown here making €3,550. It does prove the old saying "quality pays".
    Would love to be breeding animals of this quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    I didn't make it to Carnaross on Saturday but was talking to a few lads who were at it, they said the heifers were excellent quality, Shorthorn or Simmental back breading in most of them. They were very well presented (as I seen some a neighbor bought) they are a credit to the farmer who bred them. A lot of work went into getting them right for the sale and the farmer got paid for it, fair play to him. Its good to see confidence in the suckler business as any one who bought these heifers for breading will have their blood lines on their farm for years to come. €1,000 - €1,100 seemed to buy a good few of the heifers with the exceptional ones make making over €2,000 and then the one shown here making €3,550. It does prove the old saying "quality pays".
    Would love to be breeding animals of this quality.

But you've no idea of the backbreeding. At least when you buy a pedigree, you know this. I'd love to know how many of these continue to breed well for generations. Sorry, but €3,550 for a commercial is just madness.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

I notice them Butchers type heifers seem to make big money. I'm not sure they are suitable for breeding off. Many of them have too much beef in the breed. Far too much muscle on the inside of the hind legs and a narrow enough pelvis. On top of which a lot of them have feck all milk.
    Like it or not but you need at least 30% dairy breed in your cow. Its often the square plainer type make the best suckler cows

But you've no idea of the backbreeding. At least when you buy a pedigree, you know this. I'd love to know how many of these continue to breed well for generations. Sorry, but €3,550 for a commercial is just madness.

Would you pay that money for a pedigree? Plenty wouldn’t make the name of it. That money should buy 3 top weanlings. Agree with point about their suitability for rearing a calf and even getting him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Would you pay that money for a pedigree? Plenty wouldn’t make the name of it. That money should buy 3 top weanlings. Agree with point about their suitability for rearing a calf and even getting him out.

I bought a pedigree registered in-calf limousin heifer for €1,600 this year. 7 generations of AI breeding in her. She's genotyped and so is her Dam. Even at that, there's a gamble with her.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

I bought a pedigree registered in-calf limousin heifer for €1,600 this year. 7 generations of AI breeding in her. She's genotyped and so is her Dam. Even at that, there's a gamble with her.

Sounds like a likelier gamble. I’d love to be talking to anyone paying 3000 or 3500 for those heifers to ask what made them prepared to go to that money. My suspicion is that it’s someone wanting to show their cash on the hip I’d love to be proved wrong but going into that sale someone must have had it in their head that she’s worth 3450 and not a penny more...

• Advertisement

Sounds like a likelier gamble. I’d love to be talking to anyone paying 3000 or 3500 for those heifers to ask what made them prepared to go to that money. My suspicion is that it’s someone wanting to show their cash on the hip I’d love to be proved wrong but going into that sale someone must have had it in their head that she’s worth 34

I seen a lad give similar money for a heifer and sold here for 6 odd at a fat stock show. There’s a lad for everything. The whole showing scene makes no sense really but I wouldn’t mind having a few to come into that sort of money.

Advertisement