Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Firebird 90-120 settings

• 13-10-2019 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭

Would anyone be able to tell me what the dial in photo is for ? Never seen one on any boiler we have had before !
    Is it a temperature setting ?
    If so where should we set it for . I’m guessing it is up to the highest as the rads were Too hot to touch after one hour on last night ..........but the water wasn’t heated at all! That’s a separate issue though. Would like to get temp set properly first so I’m not burning through oil

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭jimf

that looks to be set at about mid position ranging from about 60 to 85 dg

but those stats are known to be way out of calibration set it back to its lowing setting and see if rads are still roasting

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

jimf wrote: »

but those stats are known to be way out of calibration set it back to its lowing setting and see if rads are still roasting

Thanks
    The dial is currently turned as far clockwise as it can go . So i should turn it back anti?

Any reason why the water would not have been heated as well?
    I had it set to central heating /water but water didn’t heat
    It was first time on in months though

any work done with the plumbing recently

cant really guess why your hot water didn't work without knowing more about your set up

can you run the heating separately from your hot water

any work done with the plumbing recently

cant really guess why your hot water didn't work without knowing more about your set up

can you run the heating separately from your hot water

Not sure as we only moved in recently
    There is no thermostats on any wall
    There are 2 heating zones though upstairs and downstairs
    I’ll try it tomorrow night on Hot water only and report back
    Will also turn dial all the way anti clockwise and see if it affects rads heat output

I turned it to lowest setting but now nothing is happening at all!!!
    Burner doesnt seem to be firing even if i put the dial back in high position
    the green light at top is blinking if that means anything

• Advertisement

Anyone help ?
    Pumps kick in but burner doesn’t even attempt to
    I turned the thermostat back to max

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Don't use the HW only switch (as pretty much never wired up), most likely when you did, it killed the pump and the boiler has now overheated.

Hit the overheat reset switch, and try again....

Thanks to Jim and Dgob it is back up and running again
    Will see now if the water gets hot

Thanks so much. Boards can be such a great place through the kindness of more knowledgeable strangers !

Water didn’t heat
    I should probably have said that the water has been heating fine using the immersion timer Etc
    But it would be madness having to run oil and immersion over the winter

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Have you checked the balance valve on the cylinder is open? (if not, only open a max 1.5 turns)

• Advertisement

DGOBS wrote: »
    Have you checked the balance valve on the cylinder is open? (if not, only open a max 1.5 turns)

Gonna leave it alone now cos the guy who serviced it is calling back
    Thanks for the help

There is a bigger issue than that now I’m afraid
    There has been a stink of oil in the room with the burner since we moved in and more since we started using it
    I inspected it today and noticed there is a tray underneath the burner and there was kerosene in it
    Obviously a leak form burner or pipe
    And obviously has been happening before
    Waiting for him to call now still. Was no great urgency before this but there is now

a few places in and around that burner where it may be leaking from most can easily fixed for cents as part of service

unless leaking through pump shaft seal all the rest are simple little fixes

a few places in and around that burner where it may be leaking from most can easily fixed for cents as part of service

unless leaking through pump shaft seal all the rest are simple little fixes

What has me worried is..........the previous tenant (I have since spoken to them) said they had issues with it last winter too. Their was a tray already undrneath which suggests as much too. And the lad calling serviced it only 3 months ago when there was also a stink of oil which I queried at the time and was told there was no issue
    He is calling tomorrow anyway

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

km79 wrote: »
    What has me worried is..........the previous tenant (I have since spoken to them) said they had issues with it last winter too. Their was a tray already undrneath which suggests as much too. And the lad calling serviced it only 3 months ago when there was also a stink of oil which I queried at the time and was told there was no issue
    He is calling tomorrow anyway
    Are you happy to have the same guy service it? No one should leave a burner leaking.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Wearb wrote: »
    Are you happy to have the same guy service it? No one should leave a burner leaking.

Not really !
    If it leaks again after this will have to insist on someone else
    To be fair there were a number of other issues with the house that had been ignored by previous tenants as they were not planning on staying long term
    This could be another

Not really !
    If it leaks again after this will have to insist on someone else
    To be fair there were a number of other issues with the house that had been ignored by previous tenants as they were not planning on staying long term
    This could be another

this is most likely not a major issue

2 guesses somebody bled the burner from the vacuum port and lost the little rubber o ring or if bled from the pressure port the washer

both are small and in a confined area unless your familiar with them could easily drop out of sight

but I must agree careless to leave a burner leaking anywhere but a lot worse when inside a small amount of kero can stink the place

this is most likely not a major issue

2 guesses somebody bled the burner from the vacuum port and lost the little rubber o ring or if bled from the pressure port the washer

both are small and in a confined area unless your familiar with them could easily drop out of sight

but I must agree careless to leave a burner leaking anywhere but a lot worse when inside a small amount of kero can stink the place

My first thoughts were that someone had previously bled the burner and the smell was residual. Given that it cut out due to thermostat being up to the last the first time I used it I would hazard a guess there had been a few incorrect attempts at bleeding it in the past !
    Hopefully that is it

My first thoughts were that someone had previously bled the burner and the smell was residual. Given that it cut out due to thermostat being up to the last the first time I used it I would hazard a guess there had been a few incorrect attempts at bleeding it in the past !
    Hopefully that is it

id nearly bet someone elses tenner on it :D:D

Pump was leaking alright and has been replaced
    The smell is noticeabley better now but will judge it more when it’s running later

Also got system balanced Cos some rads were lukewarm and pressure was low
    Hopefully all sorted now

• Advertisement

Pump was leaking alright and has been replaced
    The smell is noticeabley better now but will judge it more when it’s running later

Also got system balanced Cos some rads were lukewarm and pressure was low
    Hopefully all sorted now

hopefully all sorted so

smell could linger for a while

hopefully all sorted so

smell could linger for a while

I am gonna monitor for weekend and if no more leak I will put down some washing powder around it

I am gonna monitor for weekend and if no more leak I will put down some washing powder around it

would you believe coffee works very well

would you believe coffee works very well

I will buy some cheap coffee too so thanks for the tip

No smell now thank god
    Only realize how bad it was now!!!!!
    He balanced all the rads too

Only remaining issue now is the hot water
    It is heating but it’s warm at best
    And the downstairs en suite which is a power shower just ain’t warm enough to use

I checked the attic and I think I can see why
    Never seen so much limescale in my life
    I’ve attached a few pics
    Is there anything I can add to tanks to help it ? There was a water softener in the house but it was neglected and no longer works and landlord will not replace it . Even though they have had to replace washing machine and dishwasher recently .......

most likely restricted flow through cylinder

Advertisement