Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Jacovs

ozzy jr wrote: »
    Was waiting for my flight to Frankfurt this morning and an AA 787 landed. It must have been sitting waiting for over an hour before it got to a stand. Two EI A330s landed soon after and they sat in the queue behind it. Is this normal now at Dublin?

It's bad enough doing a trans Atlantic flight without adding another hour onto the journey for the last couple of hundred meters.

Cant speak for the EI's, but the AA208 has a scheduled arrival time of 1135am. It landed at 1028am, an hour early. It got on stand 1122am.
    Yes nearly an hour from landing till on stand, but still got on stand 10 minutes before it was scheduled to.
    Cant expect to arrive that early and get straight in when there are scheduled flights that need the stands.

Edit: im wrong actually. Got caught out by the UTC time of flightradar. It actually landed bang on time, but was left waiting nearly and hour and got on stand nearly an hour late and caused a 30min delay on its departure.
    Yes that is inexcusable from dublin airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,969 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

ozzy jr wrote: »
    Was waiting for my flight to Frankfurt this morning and an AA 787 landed. It must have been sitting waiting for over an hour before it got to a stand. Two EI A330s landed soon after and they sat in the queue behind it. Is this normal now at Dublin?

It's bad enough doing a trans Atlantic flight without adding another hour onto the journey for the last couple of hundred meters.

That is pretty poor from Dublin Airport - I would be livid if that was normal

That is pretty poor from Dublin Airport - I would be livid if that was normal

Why do you assume it was the airports fault ?

Delays can be caused by broken equipment, short staff, delayed fuelling, busy pushback crew, outbound with a slot, medical on outbound, late passengers, lost passengers, slots, technical issue with outbound etc etc etc.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I arrived into Dublin on that AA208 flight in August and was waiting for a stand for 35 minutes - flight was slightly early but arrival at the gate was late.

It's bad enough being on one of those 787-8's with the tight window seats for that long let alone being on the ground. I shudder to think of what it's like on the ORD flights to Asia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Taxi queues have been an absolute farce again recently. 40 minute waits at 1am last week. As I type a massive queue at half past midnight. Over 30 minute wait. Complete shambles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Blut2

IngazZagni wrote: »
    Taxi queues have been an absolute farce again recently. 40 minute waits at 1am last week. As I type a massive queue at half past midnight. Over 30 minute wait. Complete shambles.

I've suffered massive queues multiple times recently too. They seem to only let taxis through in groups of 3 or 4, when the rank could easily take 8+.

Is there a shortage of taxis in the 'kesh' these days? The drivers are still always giving out about how long they're waiting in there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Just use mytaxi (or whatever it's called these days) and you'll have a taxi straight away. No point queuing at the rank.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I get the point of complaining about the rank for the purposes of tourists, but as said above, just download Free Now and book one to pick you up at the Zone 18 surface car park. Do it while you're going through customs or whatever and it'll be there by the time you're out. You don't even need to pay by card if you don't want to, but you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Blut2

There aren't always cabs available on mytaxi, in my experience. Especially if arriving in around midnight. And plenty of people arrive back at the airport with no battery on their phone. Or are older people who don't use apps very well. Or are foreign tourists. Its not something that should be the first solution for arrivals.

I'm usually someone who defends the DAA and DUB a lot, but theres no reason the airport shouldn't have more taxis available at the ranks - its a pretty basic airport function.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Blut2 wrote: »
    There aren't always cabs available on mytaxi, in my experience. Especially if arriving in around midnight. And plenty of people arrive back at the airport with no battery on their phone. Or are older people who don't use apps very well. Or are foreign tourists. Its not something that should be the first solution for arrivals.

I'm usually someone who defends the DAA and DUB a lot, but theres no reason the airport shouldn't have more taxis available at the ranks - its a pretty basic airport function.

You didn't actually read my post correctly

• Advertisement

MJohnston wrote: »
    I get the point of complaining about the rank for the purposes of tourists, but as said above, just download Free Now and book one to pick you up at the Zone 18 surface car park. Do it while you're going through customs or whatever and it'll be there by the time you're out. You don't even need to pay by card if you don't want to, but you can.

You can but it doesnt always work and don't even think about putting a destination that's pretty close or no one will accept it.

Lots of tourists arriving for the weekend last night and the first experience they have of Ireland is waiting over half an hour for a taxi in the freezing cold. Elderly people struggling to stay standing as they wait.

Signage for zone 18 is not clear at all. Does it say anything about additional taxis over there? Not to my knowledge.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

When are people going to realise that DAA don't care at all about providing any facilities for arriving passengers, as they don't get any money from them or the airlines for providing services, so the limited rudimentary facilities that they do provide are the absolute minimum they can get away with.

Taxis are a nightmare, and there is even less in the way of facilities for people who make the mistake of using bus or coach services, the "shelters" are a joke, and there's nowhere that's actually warm and dry for passengers to wait for these services, and no display boards to show actual times and stops for services, so your only option is to search until you find out which stop is the right one, and then go to the correct stop ahead of the scheduled time and stand there until the bus eventually arrives, and on some routes, there is no guarantee that it will arrive, or be even close to on time.

We tried it a few times on the 109A, which in theory is a good service, but between delays and no shows, there's no pleasure in standing outside in a cold wet draughty shelter for sometimes over an hour, and with the unreliability, it's not safe to stay "inside", the chances are if you do, it will be there and gone before you get to the stop.

The BE on line mapping service, which should in theory show where the buses are, can't be used, as BE still, despite several requests, have not paid the Google licence fees to use the maps service, so none of that part of their site works, and that's the sort of mentality that pervades some of the state and semi state services these days, there is no customer focus at all.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Couple of pics posted on skyscrapercity earlier this week of the new runway, looks to be coming along well

Is the existing 10/28 going to get lengthened? the new one doesn't seem too much longer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Coming through T2 tonight, the blue customs channel was unstaffed.

There was a woman in front of me pushing a buggy and speaking something that wasn't English on a mobile phone. An officer practically ran over from green to tell her to turn her phone off. Having done so she was told she could continue.

I do appreciate that phones are not allowed during customs inspections, but when the channel is unstaffed why is it necessary to be so ridiculously petty? Very poor form IMHO.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Suspect it is more to do with possible video recording than talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Is the existing 10/28 going to get lengthened? the new one doesn't seem too much longer

The new runway is about 470 metres or 1,550 feet longer than the present 10/28. I am not aware of any actual plan to lengthen the existing runway. The new one will be available in any case where the extra length is required for performance reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

There is a clearly signed no mobile phones or cameras in the CBP, Irish Immigration and Customs areas.

Blue channel is NEVER staffed, the custom officers hang around the barrier between green and blue

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you're going to be stopped in Blue, it'll be by someone coming over. I was stopped as the only person paying any attention at all and using Blue at a quiet time when there was an AMS flight and a flight from somewhere much further away in Europe in (Blue Air possibily) and everyone was going Green

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Noxegon wrote: »
    Coming through T2 tonight, the blue customs channel was unstaffed.

There was a woman in front of me pushing a buggy and speaking something that wasn't English on a mobile phone. An officer practically ran over from green to tell her to turn her phone off. Having done so she was told she could continue.

I do appreciate that phones are not allowed during customs inspections, but when the channel is unstaffed why is it necessary to be so ridiculously petty? Very poor form IMHO.

Sounds like someone doing their job tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Didnt realise there were still really channels tbh. I know the signs are there, but does anyone take notice of them or even know what they are about? Im not even sure what one should be declaring. I thought everyone just took the straightest line out without reference to channels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I always go through the channel I'm supposed to. Depending on Brexit, this is one region where we'll have to be careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Only channel I dont' walk though leaving T1 at Dub airport is the red channel as it's blocked off..
    Otherwise I walk through whichever channel... no one cares, and the customs officers I'm sure know who exactly they want to stop and why anyways..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭trellheim

In relation to Taxis a 1700 arrival friday night was met by a T1 rank doubled round, and about 30-40 mins wait.

One of the problems with that rank is people arriving faster than the rank can process, there should be two parallel lines of taxis at least and a much closer holding bay than the kesh just as a temporary reservoir.

[ The IT analyst in me says that

1. OPS marking an aircraft on-stand assuming all going normal, add 25 minutes or whatever
    2. 35% of a 737 will then be through baggage and will be looking for a taxi therefore release that many taxis from the kesh into a line 10 minutes in advance

25 mins
    35%
    10 mins in advance

all variables with machine learning so you can correct for peaks and patterns

offer cabs that participate in regular airport runs a discount on their airport permit .

( of course a far better answer is a two-stop high-speed train service to dublin city center but thats a little long term )

• Registered Users Posts: 23,446 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

No passenger figures for DUB from last month?

Is there no figures for September?

Normally issued beginning of the following month?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Is there no figures for September?

Normally issued beginning of the following month?? :confused:

They will be issued either someone forgot or not prepared yet. Numbers should show growth when released.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭EI321

I wouldn't be shocked if Passenger numbers were actually down slightly, which may explain why the publicity loving DAA aren't releasing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

I think we've definitely seen the end of the breakneck growth of the past few years. Up until 18 months ago it seemed like there were new route announcements every other week, that's dried up and we're going the other way with cutbacks and dropped routes.

EI321 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be shocked if Passenger numbers were actually down slightly, which may explain why the publicity loving DAA aren't releasing them.

You could be right. I've predicted a decline over the winter months but a decline in September would be surprising. It would explain the delay though. Trying to find the best way to spin the data?

It's not a Dublin thing though. Capacity across Europe has stalled due in part to the collapse of multiple airlines and financial issues at others as well as 737 Max delivery delays.

• Advertisement

EI321 wrote: »

That's my suspicion as well.

The figures must be somewhere even if they don't want to publicly acknowledge them? :confused:

Advertisement