Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Log cabin

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

and we’ll leave ‘the state of ireland’ rants there.
    This is the construction & planning forum
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Torsevt

endacl wrote: »
    Specifically, and in layman's terms, if they go up in flames, and it's out your back garden with somebody living in it, a fire engine can't gain access.

That's the reg an overwhelming proportion of them would fall down on, even if they somehow would have been granted planning otherwise. You'd have to fit a fire engine sized tunnel through your gaff to make an occupied cabin legal.

They don't need to drive the fire engine into the cabin they use a hose
    Just Saying

endacl wrote: »
    Specifically, and in layman's terms, if they go up in flames, and it's out your back garden with somebody living in it, a fire engine can't gain access.

That's the reg an overwhelming proportion of them would fall down on, even if they somehow would have been granted planning otherwise. You'd have to fit a fire engine sized tunnel through your gaff to make an occupied cabin legal.

And what is you have a completely unobstructed side entrance with a very large side garden ? The fire hydrant is right outside my house, local fire authorities recently came out and sprayed blue paint in it . Fire engine could drive right up to the side gate and pull hose through?
    I don’t understand all the regulations around them either?

I’d love to build one in my garden , move into it myself and let my daughter husband and baby have my house , why is this so difficult?

• Subscribers Posts: 40,988 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Those fire regs are not the reason log cabins don't meet Irish building regulations.

The main ones are energy efficiency regulations which have required u values for the structure; materials and workmanship which require min 50 years life expectancy of the building; part m disabled access due to design and layout of bathrooms.

I know plenty of situations where a vendor of these buildings had disappears once requested to provide certificate of compliance with all regulations.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

koheim wrote: »
    99% of houses are built of wood, with wood cladding. There are zero concerns regarding rot of the wood or fire safety for that matter.
    I do not understand why a wood cladded buildings in Ireland is a problem, it would work perfectly well here as well?

You need to read the thread properly.
    Timber clad houses are not the issue, its Log Cabins. And Log Cabins being sold as habitable units when the suppliers are quoting directly to customers the Planning and Building Regulation exemptions for domestic sheds.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I don’t understand all the regulations around them either?

I don't understand the legal process myself too well, that's why I trust a Solicitor.
    If you think Log Cabins can comply, ring around as many architects, engineers or surveyors to see if one, even one will take on the project to issue Certificates of Compliance.

Also, ring around every single log cabin provider in the country, yes every single one of them and ask will one, even one supple a Certificate of Compliance.

I've already done this, but i'll leave the leg work to you if you don't believe my posts.
    I’d love to build one in my garden , move into it myself and let my daughter husband and baby have my house , why is this so difficult?

Why cant you build a granny flat connect to the house?
    Rear gardens are designed as private open space, there are reasonable levels of privacy expected to your neighbors and adding more structures in the garden, thus providing more people into that space, it diminishes the reasonable levels of privacy allowed to residents.

kceire wrote: »
    I don't understand the legal process myself too well, that's why I trust a Solicitor.
    If you think Log Cabins can comply, ring around as many architects, engineers or surveyors to see if one, even one will take on the project to issue Certificates of Compliance.

Also, ring around every single log cabin provider in the country, yes every single one of them and ask will one, even one supple a Certificate of Compliance.

I've already done this, but i'll leave the leg work to you if you don't believe my posts.

Why cant you build a granny flat connect to the house?
    Rear gardens are designed as private open space, there are reasonable levels of privacy expected to your neighbors and adding more structures in the garden, thus providing more people into that space, it diminishes the reasonable levels of privacy allowed to residents.

Where did I say I didn’t believe you ..... I said I didn’t understand? There is a difference.

I’ve done lots of legwork on this. I’ve been to many many log cabin providers, 4 or 5 this year alone. I’m not getting one as I know there are issues around regulations but nobody is every that clear what exactly they are. The closest I got was fire retardant materials and issues around that. So why can some provider not source cabins that ARE compliant with fire regulations. It’s very frustrating.
    If these are suitable for habitation in other countries, why can we not get a product here that is also suitable for living in ?

I’m a regular visitor to Vancouver where these seem to be everywhere and people live in them. I’m not here to argue , I’m simply looking for answers .

And I don’t want a granny flat connected to the house , simple as. I’m only in my 50’s and working full time ! We all like our space.

I have a very large garden completely private, not overlooked by anyone .the sunniest side at the furthest wall of the garden , well away from the main house. It would be a lovely spot for a small log cabin but looks like it’s just not possible. I wanted to give my house to my daughter and husband (an architect) and baby for a few years when they return from Vancouver in 2020 and build their own house here............but that could take a few years.

I’m not disputing regulations but surely forums like this are the exact place for ordinary Joe Soaps to ask questions ? Not to be shut down .

If these are suitable for habitation in other countries, why can we not get a product here that is also suitable for living in ?

I’m a regular visitor to Vancouver where these seem to be everywhere and people live in them. I’m not here to argue , I’m simply looking for answers .
    I worked in Canada on site stick built timber framed buildings, most have timber cladding

But these are NOT what we’re talking about here.

When you see timber cladding in Canada, we just replace that for render finish in Ireland, that’s all. Because that’s traditional vernacular that’s all.

And I don’t want a granny flat connected to the house , simple as. I’m only in my 50’s and working full time ! We all like our space.

I have a very large garden completely private, not overlooked by anyone .the sunniest side at the furthest wall of the garden , well away from the main house. It would be a lovely spot for a small log cabin but looks like it’s just not possible. I wanted to give my house to my daughter and husband (an architect) and baby for a few years when they return from Vancouver in 2020 and build their own house here............but that could take a few years.

I’m not disputing regulations but surely forums like this are the exact place for ordinary Joe Soaps to ask questions ? Not to be shut down .

So what’s the problem? you have a big garden! You can apply for planning/ seek local authority approval for a separate dwelling in your back garden. I’ve done this in cork city several times. Once you get planning build your house, maybe the planners will accept it clad in timber.

Ps, ‘Ordinary joe soaps’ are very welcome here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Phillip k wrote: »
    I don't understand how people are getting away building these logcabins out there back gardens. I have seen a good few in north and south dublin in tiny gardens and they are defiantly not a home office they are being rented out to mainly students .

It would beg the question about what will happen a homeowner if one of these log cabins goes on fire with a student inside it. Ignorance of the building and fire regs will not be sufficient to stop criminal charges and the house insurance company will be running a mile when they hear their client had an illegal development in the back garden that they were renting out to students.

Aside from that as other posters have mentioned you can get these log cabins up to regulations but its just that it would cost as much as a normal block built dwelling. So the reason landlords are buying these is because they do not meet the regulations and thus are much cheaper. Which is fine for them as they sit in their energy efficient house and the tenant is freezing cold in a log cabin down the bottom of the garden in winter paying through the nose for the privilege.

BryanF wrote: »
    So what’s the problem? you have a big garden! You can apply for planning/ seek local authority approval for a separate dwelling in your back garden. I’ve done this in cork city several times. Once you get planning build your house, maybe the planners will accept it clad in timber.

Ps, ‘Ordinary joe soaps’ are very welcome here.

I’ve a feeling it would cost a lot more to build a bricks and mortar construction than buy a log cabin. I was looking at high end log cabins, really thick Scandinavian wood, treated with fire retardant for around €30-35K all in, including ground works . I doubt I’d build something for the same amount, the budget is what’s putting me off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I’ve a feeling it would cost a lot more to build a bricks and mortar construction than buy a log cabin. I was looking at high end log cabins, really thick Scandinavian wood, treated with fire retardant for around €30-35K all in, including ground works . I doubt I’d build something for the same amount, the budget is what’s putting me off.
    There is no way you will get a log cabin that complies with building regs and ancillary works for 35k. For a high end shed possibly.

There is no way you will get a log cabin that complies with building regs and ancillary works for 35k. For a high end shed possibly.

It was -snip- and the quote was the end of last year so I could be wrong, maybe that didn’t include all works, but they were by far the best quality . They’d cost nothing to heat , really well insulated and warm. When you say above “complies with building reg “ that still doesn’t mean you’ll get permission to live in it , right? So there’s no point . I wouldn’t take the risk of spending so much only to be told to take it down .
    Having said that I’ve seen log cabins everywhere , lots here in Meath, most of them in the countryside.

It was Coppolla -snip- and the quote was the end of last year so I could be wrong, maybe that didn’t include all works, but they were by far the best quality . They’d cost nothing to heat , really well insulated and warm. When you say above “complies with building reg “ that still doesn’t mean you’ll get permission to live in it , right? So there’s no point . I wouldn’t take the risk of spending so much only to be told to take it down .
    Having said that I’ve seen log cabins everywhere , lots here in Meath, most of them in the countryside.

Were they willing to provide you with a certificate of compliance? If not they are selling an expensive shed.

Were they willing to provide you with a certificate of compliance? If not they are selling an expensive shed.

He was upfront that there are no log cabins that will pass regulations in Ireland , even though the same log cabins are used for living spaces in Scandinavian and Eastern European countries. -snip- are a really good product and nothing like the stuff I’ve seen from Irish companies. Insulated Walls up to 180mm thick, also available in round logs up to 210 mm thick. All treated with fire retardant. These are sold as log houses , but in Ireland you still won’t get planning for one to live in. They’re anything but sheds . Check out -Snip- under ‘log houses ‘

They also do a selection of residential log cabins but wood in these is 70/90mm so not as sturdy a product. It’s a moot point anyway as you can’t live in any of the above here :(

You were right , I’m way off on the prices . These -snip- houses are over €60 K

If you can't get permission to use these log structures as a permanent dwelling they are sheds, expensive attractive sheds but still sheds. Listing other countries is irrelevant as it is the Irish planning system that holds sway here.

If you can't get permission to use these log structures as a permanent dwelling they are sheds, expensive attractive sheds but still sheds. Listing other countries is irrelevant as it is the Irish planning system that holds sway here.

I understand this, that’s the point I was making.

But I’m still puzzled why :confused:........these log houses are no more flammable than any house , the wood is treated , it would be like trying to set fire to an ash tree with a match. Surely at the rate the world is advancing , increased demand, and rapid changes and improvements in building materials (including wood )a product could be made that would comply with planning in Ireland ?

There are lots of us who’d be interested in a log house/cabin as an option, single people, couples starting off, older people trading down etc etc.

But I’m still puzzled why :confused:........these log houses are no more flammable than any house , the wood is treated , it would be like trying to set fire to an ash tree with a match. Surely at the rate the world is advancing , increased demand, and rapid changes and improvements in building materials (including wood )a product could be made that would comply with planning in Ireland ?

There are lots of us who’d be interested in a log house/cabin as an option, single people, couples starting off, older people trading down etc etc.

It is possible to make a log structure compliant with Irish planning regs, but then you are in the territory of the log structure being of similar cost to a traditional build. Something the log 'house' companies fail to tell
    or highlight potential customers.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,988 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I've listed some of the problems already in this thread

• Advertisement

Would you consider doing a bit of research into the statements you are making please.
    As it sounds like your a rep for the company you spoke to.

They are selling you a product! They acknowledge it’s a shed.

Also would you have a read if the forum charter re naming companies. Thanks

BryanF wrote: »
    Would you consider doing a bit of research into the statements you are making please.
    As it sounds like your a rep for the company you spoke to.

They are selling you a product! They acknowledge it’s a shed.

Also would you have a read if the forum charter re naming companies. Thanks

I’m definitely not a rep for the company.
    I researched probably every company in Ireland doing them and the only ones with serious quality and craftsmanship was the aforementioned. They didn’t acknowledge it was a ‘shed’. Not to me anyway ? They call them cabins and houses depending on style/ model. I understand one cannot live in them, does that mean by definition they are sheds? Dunno :confused:

I’m simply saying I wish there was a product people had the option of buying here in Ireland that was complaint .... I think they’re lovely .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I have an idea in my head.

Could I buy a site, modular home, service the site, get planning permission to live there?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Many of These log cabins are the last word in luxury compared to the absolute LEGAL ****h*les going for mad money on daft etc in Dublin ...

Super-Rush wrote: »
    I have an idea in my head.

Could I buy a site, modular home, service the site, get planning permission to live there?

It would make more sense to buy a site with OPP and proceed from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

A friend of mine built one he’s living there it’s working well, he saved a fortune on rent and by the time it gets ripped down (by the council) at this stage, he’s still up. But anyway. Next subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Are canal boats legal to live in?

Last few posts are off topic , thread going round in the circles. Thread closed. Contact the mods if required.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement