Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

19-09-2019, 21:54   #1
Feisar

What Scope?!?

So a friend of mine wants to get a decent scope for target shooting with his 10/22.

I'm suggesting a Zeiss Conquest V4 6-24x50 or a Weaver T24. He's looking at a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24x50. My issue is it's first focal plane and the reticle will be to big at full mag.

Any thoughts on what to do or other options, best bang for buck etc.

Cheers.
Advertisement
19-09-2019, 22:27   #2
Cass

Send a message via MSN to Cass
I used a Weaver T36 for years and it was a superb scope. If it's purely for targets and nothing else it would be the one to go for.

However if he wants a scope of similar quality, as good a pedigree but with a little more versatility there are options which as always depend on his budget.

The Sightron SIIISS 10-50X60 LRMOA with fine crosshair is a great scope. Superb mag, crystal clear optics, ED lenses, 1/8 click value for fine adjustment, and super fine crosshair all on SFP. Prices run around €1,300 or so for the top model and as low as €950 for the lower mag models..

For something sub €1,000 you have the Vortex as you said, there is also Hawke Frontier (5-30 with fine crosshair) which runs between €700 - €800 depending on where you buy it. Don't be fooled by the brand. Hawke are a great scope but the Frontier jumps up a few levels from the Sidewinders in terms of looks, functionality, quality and performance.

Of course you don't have to go big money. The majority of rifle scopes these days are a sight bit better than the "budget" scopes of old that you couldn't rely on to keep and hold zero. Bushnell, Hawke, Leupold, Nikko Sterling all do a decent scope with varying ranges of magnification, crosshair types and features for between €200 to €350.

You are right on FFP scopes. For target shooting they may be a hassle except in a small variety of shooting disciplines where target acquisition is as important as accuracy.
Thanks from:
20-09-2019, 10:27   #3
PSXDupe

It really depends on what you mean by Target Shooting, every time you pull the trigger you shooting at a target, be is paper or 4 legged.

For benchrest, where it is at a fixed known distance, then I don't see the use for FFP scope. The cross hairs will block a good portion of what you are trying to aim at. You're trying to put a .22 (5.5mm) bullet into a 5mm hole at 50m.

On another point, the 10/22, if it is a standard out of the box Ruger 10/22 your mate would be better to look at upgrading the trigger also. Regardless of what glass you have on it, the out of the box trigger is brutal for target shooting, simply too heavy, you cant the rifle.

He will get much better results with a trigger upgrade and cheaper glass than top of the range glass and a standard trigger. (Speaking from experience)
22-09-2019, 23:25   #4
clivej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feisar View Post
So a friend of mine wants to get a decent scope for target shooting with his 10/22.

I'm suggesting a Zeiss Conquest V4 6-24x50 or a Weaver T24. He's looking at a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24x50. My issue is it's first focal plane and the reticle will be to big at full mag.

Any thoughts on what to do or other options, best bang for buck etc.

Cheers.
In my opinion those are too much scope for a 10/22. €250 is enough to spend on a scope for the 10/22. Again it depends on what he is shooting, targets or hunting???
I like a 6-24x50mm scope for most shooting as it's a good size for both targets and hunting. But having said that after many scopes on my CZ 452 bolt action I settled on a fixed 10 power Bushnell scope.

I use a 4-16x44mm on my 10/22 for Gallery competition shooting and its as good as any for all types of shooing IMO.
23-09-2019, 12:43   #5
Feisar

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivej View Post
In my opinion those are too much scope for a 10/22. €250 is enough to spend on a scope for the 10/22. Again it depends on what he is shooting, targets or hunting???
I like a 6-24x50mm scope for most shooting as it's a good size for both targets and hunting. But having said that after many scopes on my CZ 452 bolt action I settled on a fixed 10 power Bushnell scope.

I use a 4-16x44mm on my 10/22 for Gallery competition shooting and its as good as any for all types of shooing IMO.
It'll be primarily targets, he has a 3-9*40 on it at the moment and looking to upgrade. Agreed a 6-24 is a good all rounder.

CZ452, I've a Nightforce 8-32x56 up on mine at the moment. It's crude looking to say the least! I'm dicking around with 200 yards plus, handiest way out there was getting a 30MOA rail from Area 419, it has a picitinny top and the onlypicitinny rings i had were 30mm hence I've a nightforce on a .22
Advertisement
24-09-2019, 00:28   #6
schtinggg

what scope?

I think you've got some pretty good advice up to now.
The best glass on the market won't do much good except frustrate your mate if his trigger is a stock version. Look at that first. What barrel has he got? Is he using a factory stock? My point being there's a lot you can do to improve a 10/22 before you start thinking of scopes

Whilst you can never, in my opinion, spend too much on a scope, remember what it's going on. The requirements of a .22lr are not those of a larger center-fire: be reasonable - a mad expensive scope on a 10/22 won't necessarily make for better results - unless the plan is to take long shots.
As an aside, I just got my young fella a TSR100 by Tech Sights for his 10/22 and it's fantastic. Best of luck to your mate whichever way he goes.
24-09-2019, 06:04   #7
Feisar

Gents, thanks for the time taken with your replies, I’ll get on to him about a trigger.

(He should of bought a 452!)

Last edited by Feisar; 24-09-2019 at 06:13.
24-09-2019, 11:05   #8
PSXDupe

A Ruger 10/22 is about as close to a black hole as you can get when it comes to spending money on a firearm. Trigger, Barrel, Stock, Bolt, Cocking Handle, Springs, Stock, then another stock, and another, maybe a new barrel because you didn't like the colour
(4) thanks from:
08-10-2019, 18:44   #9
keith s

Hi,

I'm late to the party but I just came across what looks like a great deal on the Hawke Frontier.
It's on a UK site and was about £390 for the 32 power version.

Not sure if I'm allowed post the link, admin?
Advertisement
08-10-2019, 19:22   #10
Cass

Post away.
08-10-2019, 19:48   #11
keith s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cass View Post
Post away.
Cool.
To be clear, I've no association with this site.
Thanks from:
08-10-2019, 19:51   #12
keith s

https://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/pr...us-riflescope/

It looks like a good deal to me, but maybe someone has other feedback on it.
08-10-2019, 21:43   #13
Cass

A good price, for sure. £250 off new and with Irish prices in the €700+ mark its a big saving.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion