Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tatranskas Gardening journey

• 23-04-2019 6:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭

I've decided to document my progress with my garden for those of you who have nothing else better to be doing with your time.

A bit of background.

I've 4 1/2 acres and I got a half acre ploughed over yesterday with s view to keeping a garden.
    Ground was in fairly poor condition so I got some fertiliser,urea and granular lime spread a few weeks ago.
    I've 4 tonnes of horse manure waiting to be used.

Currently a tractor with a harrow is working the ground and I'll get drills put in my machine during the week.

There are currently 8 apple trees and 3 cherry planted. Some are in flower their first year.

The plan is to put down more trees when the barefoot season is open again.
    I've to put in a chicken coop and build a greenhouse.

I'll try post photos as I go but I missed the weekends events.

I've not had a vegetable garden in nearly 40 years so it's a steep learning curve.

The other 3 1/2 acres had cattle over winter to eat down the grass. Fertilizer etc spread and after a cut of silage next month will have a load of slurry spread on it. Lime will be applied in the autumn. It needs 5 tonnes per acre over a few years.

I'll try find the soil results from last October and post them later.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Have you considered fencing off the fruit trees with electric netting and then putting the coop inside?

Kilruddery gardens use this approach (but with conventional fencing).

image.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Would you consider putting in some bees?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Interesting suggestion on the coop. The problem would be foxes in the area.
    I planned on a frame with wire on it.
    I was going to dig a trench, put chicken wire across and fill trench with cement to stop them digging up.

I was in touch with the local bee association but heard no more from them.

Some photos
    jGPGiPt.jpg

DBcayx0.jpg

Interesting suggestion on the coop. The problem would be foxes in the area.
    I planned on a frame with wire on it.
    I was going to dig a trench, put chicken wire across and fill trench with cement to stop them digging up.
    You don't need to dig, you just need a horizontal weldmesh skirt. The foxes will attempt to dig at the base of the fence, hit mesh, and give up. They won't retreat a couple of feet and start again, it's not like Fantastic Mr Fox.

I chose electric netting whose posts are attached to the ends of untreated oak sleepers using galvoband and sections of copper pipe. I had to do this because it was impossible to enclose the roof of a fence because the chicken run has a load of trees in it. This approach has the advantage of being portable, in theory, although I don't expect to ever move it. The circumference of the run is about 40m.

I have something like this for the chickens

https://images.app.goo.gl/miDeSVncAzBdY3RC6

I'm expecting drills to be put in tomorrow depending on the weather.

• Advertisement

Here's an example of the skirt approach, easier than digging trenches!

https://www.flytesofancy.co.uk/chickenhouses/No-_Dig_Skirts_for_Chicken_Runs.html

I used PVC coated weldmesh so it's basically invisible, but not sure it makes much difference.

Lumen wrote: »
    Here's an example of the skirt approach, easier than digging trenches!

https://www.flytesofancy.co.uk/chickenhouses/No-_Dig_Skirts_for_Chicken_Runs.html

I used PVC coated weldmesh so it's basically invisible, but not sure it makes much difference.

Definitely an easier way of doing it
    Ive an area of rough ground which would do. It was too stoney for the harrow to work on.perfect spot for chickens

Had hoped to have my drills done today. Farmer called me to say ground was too wet and he couldn't even do his own.
    Will be mid week now.weather permitting.

Been out in the garden all afternoon today planting spuds.
    2 earlies,2 lates and I've some kerr pinks to try out as well thanks to a local spud farmer who put in the drills for me
    I've Orla, Isle of Jura, Carra and some Kestrel.

He also gave me some potato fertiliser and recommend boron.

Also put down a load of blackcurrant, redcurrants, raspberry, rhubarb and 2 plum trees .
    I'll post photos later

Loads more to do. I need to prep the ground for seeds. I got away with digging with the spuds.

Some photos

MjygjXe.jpg

kLMcwdh.jpg
    Horse manure
    pNBGkcz.jpg
    8zvCm3O.jpg[IMG][/img]B4YtomA.jpg

Sunset from my sitting room

• Advertisement

Been a busy weekend.
    7 drills of potatoes, 14 blackcurrant, 14 redcurrants, 24 raspberries, 2 plum trees. Cabbage, rhubarb,onions,carrots, chives, lettuce and peas.
    And of course, 2 tonnes of horse manure.
    Lots more to go but getting the ploughed up grass out of the soil is slow.
    I'm glad I got the furrows put in. Took a tractor 45 minutes. Would have taken me forever.

Photos to follow later on the week

• Registered Users Posts: 22,221 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I've 4 tonnes of horse manure waiting to be used.
    Paid a trip in to the Dáil with a trailer? Good to see somebody making use of it!

endacl wrote: »
    Paid a trip in to the Dáil with a trailer? Good to see somebody making use of it!

It would be faster for me to drive over to kilgarvan :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,221 ✭✭✭✭endacl

It would be faster for me to drive over to kilgarvan :D

Jaysus, you’d hardly need that much!?!

2 weeks and 4 tons of sh!te later.

It's slow going and plans for a half acre veg plot are being rethought.

I'm planning on giving half over to trees and fruit bushes and keeping the rest for veg.

With enough spuds to feed the nation in the event of another famine I moved on to other stuff.

Peas are coming up as are onions, carrots , and radish.
    I've also got sprouts , cabbage and corn .
    Not sure what happened the rhubarb I planted, seems to have died back.

I've replanned the greenhouse and decided time was against me. So got a 6*3m polytunnel from vidxl on eBay for 120 euro. It will do for this year.

I prepped another bed this evening for more of something.

It will be a slow job as I need to clear the old grass out as I go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭macraignil

2 weeks and 4 tons of sh!te later.

It's slow going and plans for a half acre veg plot are being rethought.

I'm planning on giving half over to trees and fruit bushes and keeping the rest for veg.

With enough spuds to feed the nation in the event of another famine I moved on to other stuff.

Peas are coming up as are onions, carrots , and radish.
    I've also got sprouts , cabbage and corn .
    Not sure what happened the rhubarb I planted, seems to have died back.

I've replanned the greenhouse and decided time was against me. So got a 6*3m polytunnel from vidxl on eBay for 120 euro. It will do for this year.

I prepped another bed this evening for more of something.

It will be a slow job as I need to clear the old grass out as I go.

Even quarter of an acre vegetable plot is big in my opinion. I can understand scaling yours down as I did something similar a few years ago. Was selling some vegetables to restaurants when I scaled up to planting quarter of an acre. Even though it took little work to grow my main crop Jerusalem artichoke, just digging them up and cleaning them up to sell to a few restaurants took hours and in a similar way I have left it mostly go over to growing some fruit and trees since just working in normal PAYE jobs has proved more productive financially. Cleared just over 30 square metres this year to grow some beetroot and that probably will be more than half of the area I use to grow normal vegetables this year with the amount of free time required to cultivate more.

I hope your project goes well and you get lots of enjoyment out of it. On looking at the photos the ground does look fairly high up so planting a few trees and fruit bushes will probably be good to give some of the vegetables a bit more shelter from strong winds.

macraignil wrote: »
    Even quarter of an acre vegetable plot is big in my opinion. I can understand scaling yours down as I did something similar a few years ago. Was selling some vegetables to restaurants when I scaled up to planting quarter of an acre. Even though it took little work to grow my main crop Jerusalem artichoke, just digging them up and cleaning them up to sell to a few restaurants took hours and in a similar way I have left it mostly go over to growing some fruit and trees since just working in normal PAYE jobs has proved more productive financially. Cleared just over 30 square metres this year to grow some beetroot and that probably will be more than half of the area I use to grow normal vegetables this year with the amount of free time required to cultivate more.

I hope your project goes well and you get lots of enjoyment out of it. On looking at the photos the ground does look fairly high up so planting a few trees and fruit bushes will probably be good to give some of the vegetables a bit more shelter from strong winds.

Thanks. We are high. Have a 30 foot hedge above the house (was 40 until the Wife got out with the Jigsaw. ...I kid you not)

Garden is below the house and has another hedge around 3 sides so well protected.

Can't do much more with trees till later in the year. Getting another mix off seeds. Planted in my latest bed.
    A bit of everything that this year will be the way to go with a lot of the work done for next year.

An update on the garden.

https://imgur.com/a/FZ3aJrF

https://imgur.com/a/k0ViyD5

I threw up the drone last night to get a view.
    Garden is coming together.
    I've about 40 bales of silage from 3.5 acres and the veg is starting to come up.

I need to earth up the potatoes tomorrow and do some weeding/thinning.

I've bought a chicken coop which I need it build and get the run sorted out.
    I had bought a polytunnel but sent it back due to the poor quality of the poles.

Fruit bushes are getting established but I found that those planted late didn't do as well.

My main problem is birds. I might stick one of the kids on a pole to deal with the issue :)

"garden" :pac:

Lumen wrote: »
    "garden" :pac:

Yup.....a big garden...... well.....very big :)

Got my first radishes yesterday

• Advertisement

To update.

Garden proved to big to manage effectively so I need to rethink next year.

Got our first early spuds this week along with kale.

Other veg is growing nicely. We also have a few apples on the bigger trees.

A lot of the fruit bushes I got this year died. Probably too late for bare roots as it was may before they went down.

Chickens are in place but only 1 is laying so far. It may take a few weeks more for the others.

I also got 42 bales of silage and just hope I can sell it

I'm going to halve the garden and resow the grass. I'm also looking to get done more fruit and nut trees.

It was a rush job this year to get it going and hindsight is a great thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Thanks for sharing your gardening journey. Very interesting!

Last post of the year.
    Currently harvesting a load of veg .
    Potatoes didnt do great but we have enough till Christmas at least.

Have a freezer full of swede, carrot and greens and kohl rabi with more in the garden for immediate use.
    Wife jarred up some beetroots today. There wasn't much planted.

We also have a freezer full of beef thanks to the silage. We did a swap for a heifer and kept half.

I'm waiting on delivery of a lamb which will join the beef.

The chickens are now giving us our 5 a day.
    I need to roof the run with perspex sheets to keep out the rain. Ground is getting muddy. It's been a learning curve.

Plan on moving the fruit bushes up to the far end of the veggie plot and considering reducing the area to half. That's still up in the air.
    We found a half acre of veg to much to control but will consider using weed control sheets instead next year.

I'm moving the location of the orchard to the back field in case we ever sell the side where the veggie garden is in the future. I don't want to loose my orchard.
    I was talking to the local garden center and he's getting this bare root trees in November. Planning on more trees including nuts. I also want to plant the hedgerow with the likes of elder and other edible trees.

Will be a busy few weeks ahead:D
    Thanks for reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Keep the pics coming, loving this thread :)
    Whats it like to live in heaven?, I'd kill to live somewhere so beautiful like that, alas herself is a city girl.
    FWIW, i'd be putting more apple trees in with the long term aim of brewing my own cider..ahem

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Last post of the year.

Will be a busy few weeks ahead:D
    Thanks for reading.

Hello,

Nice adventure,i am sure.

Can i share a small secret,please.
    You have to design the farm with self sustainability in mind.
    I have lots of videos teaching "permaculture",the system that helps you understand all of the above described by you,giving a decent balance of inputs versus outputs,working versus slavery.

The pleasure and satisfaction ends when you become a slave,when you work with your bare hands and see no end or keep changing things around based on the season,on the posibility, on the cant do it / cant take it anymore.

You have to learn to love what you doing and to keep doing it.

I know that is a mouthfull advice but you will know next year from the lessons learned this year.

Good luck.

rolion wrote: »
    Hello,

Nice adventure,i am sure.

Can i share a small secret,please.
    You have to design the farm with self sustainability in mind.
    I have lots of videos teaching "permaculture",the system that helps you understand all of the above described by you,giving a decent balance of inputs versus outputs,working versus slavery.

The pleasure and satisfaction ends when you become a slave,when you work with your bare hands and see no end or keep changing things around based on the season,on the posibility, on the cant do it / cant take it anymore.

You have to learn to love what you doing and to keep doing it.

I know that is a mouthfull advice but you will know next year from the lessons learned this year.

Good luck.

Have you a link to the videos Rollion.

Anything for less work and more productivity works for me:D

Cant find the courses online,sorry !
    Looks like they were removed by the Faculty or the teacher !??
    I have downloaded them on the USB backup.
    I can send them via post in a USB key, if you can send me private an anonymous address,such as Parcel Motel.
    If you send me your real address,i may be tempted to deliver myself... ;)

Basically,what you need is called permaculture, this is the name of the game.
    If you have time this winter,search online for the name !

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=permaculture+in+ireland

A quick search on YouTube found this playlist here:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxc4SnlOGvcuMivzyoAHESxzV-GvgVTzW
    Looks boring but if a lot of info on how to design a garden with the corect approach.
    How to get the elements to talk and work together while you are enjoying life.

Another practical approach here:

On my past journey,found a very sweet nice lady from Ireland that embraced the permaculture principles.
    See her video here:

Principles that i work under it:

This here below is my work in progress baby project.
    It will take me around 5 years to bring it to a full 360 degrees colaboration nature-earth-living_creatures-myself .
    Hope to steal some info from your experience ! ;)

Keep up the good work !

492031.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭macraignil

Have you a link to the videos Rollion.

Anything for less work and more productivity works for me:D

I read this book I got as a present from my aunt when I was younger and found it a great source of information on the whole self sufficiency area. Lots of good information on how to approach producing all you need off an acre or five acre plot. The author reckoned keeping some farm animals especially pigs made the whole system work better. Getting pigs to turn over the ground removing weeds and manuring it for your vegetable crop to keeping some ducks to eat some of your slugs and snails, etc...

• Advertisement

Rollin, thanks for the pointers to permaculture. I'll take you up on your offer of the USB key :).
    Looks a great field..where is it?

Plans for the coming year are to make raised beds over the winter and move to permaculture. I think I can keep the existing garden in full and make it manageable.

My local sheep farmer has told me where to get pallets and he'll bring them up to me.

I'll lay silage wrap over the ground for the winter. I've sourced some from a very nice moderator ....thanks Nice Moderator ( if you see this) and my sheep farmer friend will turn over the ground in the spring for me before the beds go into place.

He also offered to rent my field next year and take hay off it. He'll fertilise and lime it before cutting an baling.
    He's a contractor so has all the equipment. The choice now is to take the cash or a few lambs for the freezer. (Will need a third freezer at this rate) :)

Calves are gone off the field and the fence taken down today. A handy few quid for no work and it leaves it in good shape for the winter.

Advertisement