Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Which weightlifting shoe?

• 26-09-2019 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭

I want to buy something like:

adidas Adipower, Unisex Adults’ Weightlifting Shoes

but Amazon do not have them in UK SIze 10. There seems to be a newer version available 'Adipower 2', but at twice the price at ~ €150.

Is there somewhere online or around Dublin or Kildare I can pick up the older version, or is there another squat and deadlifting shoe I should be looking at? I use a pair of Converse at the moment, and have quite narrow feet which sometimes causes my sole to be at an angle - I think the strap on a lifting shoe might help with this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

A pair of steel toe boots. Old style ones. Everything else is bells and whistles.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭gavindublin

D8 fitness in cork street have a wall of Nike and Adidas. Not sure of sizes of prices, but they were there Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭runswithascript

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I want to buy something like:

adidas Adipower, Unisex Adults’ Weightlifting Shoes

but Amazon do not have them in UK SIze 10. There seems to be a newer version available 'Adipower 2', but at twice the price at ~ €150.

Is there somewhere online or around Dublin or Kildare I can pick up the older version, or is there another squat and deadlifting shoe I should be looking at? I use a pair of Converse at the moment, and have quite narrow feet which sometimes causes my sole to be at an angle - I think the strap on a lifting shoe might help with this.

€150 would be standard for Adipowers. Cheaper price cos limited sizes. D8 Fitness on Cork St have size 10 in Power Perfect 3 for €90. Same heel height as Adipowers.

https://www.d8fitness.com/product/new-adidas-power-perfect-3-black/

I use Powerlifts cos slightly smaller heel height which worked better for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Do these make any difference to lifting? I’m lifting probably 18/19 years now and never had any inclination to buy special shoes. Am i missing out?!

• Advertisement

Do these make any difference to lifting? I’m lifting probably 18/19 years now and never had any inclination to buy special shoes. Am i missing out?!

You don't need them, per se. So no, you may not be missing out.

They work for some people because of the raised heel and ankle mobility.

Personally, I just prefer the solidity of the sole that I don't get with other footwear.

Though now with the limitations in my hip, the raised heel does help on depth.

I am now set on Adipower version 1s, but they seem to be out of stock in size 10s at D8 but I have emailed them and will call them just in case.

I am just a bit unsure about size and where to order from if they do not have them. Measuring my feet on a piece of paper from a wall, one foot is 27.7cm and the other 26.9cm. I normally wear a Converse Star Player Remastered and Asics Gel Kayano 25s comfortably in UK size 10. In the Barbend review video the advice is 'if you are true to your true size, or even on the smaller end - go a half size down... but if you are on the bigger end of your size you should be okay'. I was thinking of going with UK size 10, what do you guys think?

nFgdq4B.png

I have found size 10s on Amazon UK for £143/€161/$176. There is only the green colour available, which initially disappointed me as I was set on white or black, but has started to grow on me and won't stop me getting these. Do you know anywhere world wide I can get a better price for my size and if possible an option of colours? I have used mail forwarding companies in the past, so I do not mind ordering from the US etc.

If you're set on Adipower version 1s, you'll likely have a limited selection. They're an old version and will be cheaper because they're trying to shift the cheaper sizes. Same with Powerlifts, which I wear. Tried to get 2.0 and they only have pretty small or pretty big sizes albeit at low price.

You'll get Powerlifts in size 10 on adidas website for 90-100

If you're set on Adipower version 1s, you'll likely have a limited selection. They're an old version and will be cheaper because they're trying to shift the cheaper sizes. Same with Powerlifts, which I wear. Tried to get 2.0 and they only have pretty small or pretty big sizes albeit at low price.

You'll get Powerlifts in size 10 on adidas website for 90-100

Thanks. I looked into the Powerlifts, but I do not like the divot when the laces are tightened - I have a narrow foot so it would probably be even more pronounced when I have them on. I think the Adipower version 1s offer more support and are just a better shoe for the purpose.

The price I quoted doesn't seem that much cheaper unfortunately! But I have seen other obscure sizes, very small and very large, cheaper.

3m 34s:

I've worn both. The perceived difference in support is unlikely to make a difference. You'll do well to get a size 10 of Adis for less than 140 or thereabouts.

As for the 'divot', that seems to be the Powerlift 4. Not previous versions. You can still get 3.1 on Amazon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,998 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

those shoes aren't or deadlifting.
    i'm not sure what you mean by foot at an angle.

I think the Adipower version 1s offer more support and are just a better shoe for the purpose.
    The Adipowers offer more support than the Powerlifts, hence the price tag.
    Adipowers are proper weightlifting (the sport) shoes, powerlifts are more general shoes for lifting weights.

Adipowers 1 are the old version. Perfectly fine, but you'll struggle to find them now. The update models are just as good, if not better.

What do you weigh, squat, clean and snatch?
    I assume you don't compete.

Advertisement