Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Switzerland to consider banning all factory farms

Options
  • 21-09-2019 5:31pm

https://www.livekindly.co/switzerland-ban-factory-farms/

Having recently made it illegal to boil lobsters and all other crustaceans, whilst alive, it seems Switzerland’s people now want to ban factory farming.

This will be interesting if it makes it to a national vote.

With statistics like - 50% of all piglets slaughtered without ever seeing the sky and over 80% of chickens never standing in a meadow it’s easy to see why they want to ban factory farming.

As suggested by the forum moderator I’d like to keep the thread sane by having opinions from other vegans and vegetarians only. A nice positive discussion would be great.

So what’s your opinions fellow animal lovers ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Hopefully it happens. Factory farming is deplorable in every aspect.

I'd imagine if it goes to voting there will be serious lobbying from the meat industry to block it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,959 ✭✭✭emaherx

Having recently made it illegal to boil lobsters and all other crustaceans, whilst alive, it seems Switzerland’s people now want to ban factory farming.

With statistics like - 50% of all piglets slaughtered without ever seeing the sky and over 80% of chickens never standing in a meadow it’s easy to see why they want to ban factory farming.

As suggested by the forum moderator I’d like to keep the thread sane by having opinions from other vegans and vegetarians only. A nice positive discussion would be great.

Not sure why only vegans and vegetarians can have a positive opinion on this. Personally as an omnivore I'd be all in favour of ending factory farming.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

Things are moving in the right direction. Still a long way to go, and a lot of lives to be lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

It's great to hear, but I can't imagine the current factory farmers would go down without a fight.

First they ignore you.

• Advertisement

It's great to hear, but I can't imagine the current factory farmers would go down without a fight.

Public vote. They’ll push through on the result regardless of what either side wants.

Would be great to see the Swiss people vote to remove cruelty from their food bowl and plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Implemented correctly this could have great results both on animal welfare and in terms of food quality and human health.

Produce from animals reared in as close to natural environment is a far superior food.

The obvious resultant increase in prices would control excessive consumption.

It would be interesting to see how they classify non factory farms vs factory farms.

You’d be surprised at the numbers of farmers who would be behind this move and are unhappy with the current trend in animal farming.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

_Brian wrote: »
    Implemented correctly this could have great results both on animal welfare and in terms of food quality and human health.

Produce from animals reared in as close to natural environment is a far superior food.

The obvious resultant increase in prices would control excessive consumption.

It would be interesting to see how they classify non factory farms vs factory farms.

You’d be surprised at the numbers of farmers who would be behind this move and are unhappy with the current trend in animal farming.

I would agree - most people I know who farm would agree with restrictions with regard to the industrialisation of primary food production.

Interestingly Switzerland allows the consumption of dog and cat meat.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

To clarify, if a poster on here wishes for vegetarian or vegan only input on threads then I will be allowing that (obviously they can't go doing that on every thread). As such, the OP in this thread has suggested that input comes from such people, please respect that. It is not about keeping threads "sane" or about being "positive", no connotations are attached to this apart from being able to discuss this with other veggies only. Already we have posters talking about what type of animal raising makes it best to eat, which is anathema to this forum, and a part of why these kind of threads will now exist. I realise a lot of farmers are against factory farming too, however this thread is not the one for them to discuss that.

Posts from veggies and vegans only on this thread.

TheFarrier posted at the same time as me, which is fine. No subsequent posts, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

emaherx wrote: »
    Not sure why only vegans and vegetarians can have a positive opinion on this. Personally as an omnivore I'd be all in favour of ending factory farming.

As a farmer I too would be in favor of factory farming coming to an end.

• Advertisement

Surely the place for a farmer to discuss factory farming is on the farming forum? Just saying, surely it would have more impact there?

Not sure how progressive Switzerland are as a nation but absolutely can’t wait for the results of the vote.

Will be really interesting to see how people respond when given the chance to make such a large change and also send such positive a message.

Hopefully there will be further education available, for your average Joe, to understand the horror of factory farming and the suffering it causes before the vote takes place.

Regardless of the result it’s great to see the spotlight shining on the industry. Hopefully it’s gets lots of media and news attention as the vote approaches.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Surely the place for a farmer to discuss factory farming is on the farming forum? Just saying, surely it would have more impact there?

No point asking a question of people that can't reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

When you compare what Switzerland is proposing, to the fact the US just de-regulated pig farming, it kinda leaves me confused as to where we are globally with this issue. Some places moving forward, others going backwards.

Advertisement