Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DCU Connected

• 09-07-2019 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭

Hi, has anyone any experience (good or bad) of completing any courses through DCU connected.

They offer degree and postgraduate qualifications online without needing to attend college physically.

I'm looking at some of the IT postgraduate courses.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Hydration

Hi, not sure if I can help you. I have completed the BSc in Information Technology with DCU Connected but not any postgrad courses. If you have any questions about DCU Connected feel free to ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

Hydration wrote: »
    Hi, not sure if I can help you. I have completed the BSc in Information Technology with DCU Connected but not any postgrad courses. If you have any questions about DCU Connected feel free to ask me.

Thanks Hydration,

Just a few questions really.

How well organised is it? Does the online delivery work.well? Are the materials provided good? Are you set into attending the online classes at specific times or can you watch them back later?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Hydration

Neames wrote: »
    Thanks Hydration,

Just a few questions really.

How well organised is it? Does the online delivery work.well? Are the materials provided good? Are you set into attending the online classes at specific times or can you watch them back later?

The online classes DCU Connected provide are called tutorials. The system they use is called "LOOP". You log into "LOOP" to watch online tutorials, upload assignments, read tutor feedback on assignments, review grades and download module text. They also use discussion boards to ask questions etc. DCU Connected usually only have one online class about once a month maybe twice if your lucky for each module. The tutors normally cast the tutorials from there homes, so sometimes depending on the quality of there internet service, they can sometimes be difficult to watch. The online classes are archived and you can watch them anytime.

They also provide the odd tutorial called "Face to Face" tutorials once every couple of months. These take place in DCU normally on a Saturday morning. Students have the opportunity to attend these tutorials in person but can be quite difficult to attend if you live outside Dublin or are working. The tutorials are generally not recorded as the tutors feel nobody will attend them.

The materials are OK depending on the module but I would not say they are excellent. The module text for some of the modules are very outdated. I found this was the case with the communication modules such as CT1, CT2 and CTA. The Android development module SDA is very good and the module text is always updated.

The last few years they have been slowly introducing compulsory workshops. They have done this with the SDA and HSA modules. This can be quite tricky when trying to get time off work etc and DCU Connected admin are not very understanding in this regard. They simply wont allow you to do the module without attending these workshops.

Overall it was a positive experience but very challenging dealing with admin.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭RingTheAlarm!

Hi!

I actually have a similar question as I am thinking of doing their BA in English Literature online. Has anybody done this?

Advertisement