Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

best to worst harry potter movies

• 20-07-2011 7:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

what order would you put the harry potter movies, best to worst?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭toodleytoo

deathly hallows part one
    order of the phoenix
    prisoner of azkaban
    deathly hallows part two
    half blood prince
    philosophers stone
    chamber of secrets
    goblet of fire

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Mogget

prisoner of azkaban
    order of the phoenix
    deathly hallows part one
    goblet of fire
    deathly hallows part two
    half blood prince
    chamber of secrets
    philosophers stone

• Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

The top 3 pick themselves in my mind:

7 part one-this was very good and got me to have faith in the movies again. Small things annoyed me such as Bill being introduced for the first time in the movie but overall was very impressed.

Azkaban-Cut the crap from the books and got the characters across very well. Gary Oldman did a very good job and Sirius is probably one of the only characters that we aren't introduced to in the first book that got me to care about the movie version.

Goblet of Fire-the ending scenes were very good and I enjoyed the overall feel and portrayal of most of the characters.

with regards the other 4 I would put OOTP top due to it reasonably sticking to the source material while also making it good for the cinema.

next I think would be Chamber of Secrets and Philosopher's Stone-I enjoyed the early ones a bit more than most I think, I have read the books cover to cover so liked that they reasonably stuck to the material and I liked the overall feel like the first books with bright colours and fantasy while very real feeling of danger. Richard Harris' Dumbledore is a great bonus too.

Next would be the last movie. I kind of disliked the way they changed the whole ending and there is a very different end to the books to the movies. It just conflicts with the concrete information that I have burned into my head and really annoyed me, a whole lot more than it should have or I want it to :D. The fact that they gave reasonably few lines to some essential characters and seemed to just throw in snippets of plot without any explanation really threw me off. It really showed up Voldemort as basically a comic book villain and not the epitome of evil he was in the book.

In my mind there is one that I hated more than anything and that is Half Blood Prince. They just butchered the book imo. Lack of character development again was a big factor but I'm not going to get into it on this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I have still to see DH Part II,

But in order, my favourites are:

Half Blood Prince
    DH Part I
    Order of the Phoenix
    Goblet of Fire,
    with the first three films all equally juvenile and uninteresting to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭tomissex

DH Part 1
    Order of the Phoenix
    DH Part 2
    Chamber of Secrets
    Philosopher's Stone
    Goblet of Fire
    Prisoner of Azkaban
    Half Blood Prince

I think I'm one of the few people who actually loves the first two! I loved that the movies sort of became movies rather than adaptions after those two but I think they're brilliant adaptions of the books. I didn't like Azkaban all that much because Cuaron changed so much and I never took to Gambon as Dumbledore. Azkaban is one of my favourites out of the books so I was quite disappointed by the film. Just my opinion though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭cheesefiend

7P2
    7P1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Deathly Hallows Part 2
    Order of the Phoenix
    Deathly Hallows Part 1
    Goblet of Fire
    Chamber of Secrets
    Philosopher's Stone
    Prisoner of Azkaban

I kinda loved all of them though, even 1 and 2 despite them being more criticised than others. And 3 is often said to be the best and I like it and think it stood alone as a film more than any others, but really not my favourite at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Prisoner of Azkaban - stunning cinematography and it felt like a movie rather than a book on film
    Deathly Hallows Part 1
    Half Blood Prince
    Deathly Hallows Part 2
    Order of the Phoenix
    Goblet of Fire
    Philosopher's Stone
    Chamber of Secrets

There isn't much between the first five on my list - apart from Azkaban, I liked the other four equally. Thought Goblet of Fire undid the great work of #3 and was just a bit plot by numbers - there was no real depth to it. And the first two were children's films.

Oh, and Goblet of Fire turned Hermione into a shrew!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Double Post.

Sigh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Deathly Hallows Part 1 - by a mile!
    Half Blood Prince
    Deathly Hallows Part 2
    Chamber of Secrets
    Order of the Phoenix
    Prisoner of Azkaban - As someone else said, cinematography was beautiful but the adaptation was terrible, as it is one of my favourite books of the series
    Goblet of Fire - One of my least favourite books too, it's an awful lot of filler and not a whole lot of plot progression
    Philosopher's Stone

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Cormakazam

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

Deathly Hallows Part 1 - Great adaptation. Stayed very loyal to the book and portrayed it's atmosphere well.

Goblet Of Fire - One of my favourite books and probably the one that was most easily adapted to the big screen. Very fast moving and enjoyable.

Prisoner Of Azkaban - Fantastic cinematography and the only movie in the series where the director really made an impact on the movie. It would have been great to have seen what Cuaron could have done with the other movies. Love John Williams' kinda medieval style score too.

Philosophers Stone - I'll always remember the first time that I saw Privet Drive, Hogwarts and Diagon Alley on the big screen :) John Williams' score is one of his best.

Half Blood Prince - Again, it stuck by the books fairly well. Made me cringe at times but enjoyed it overall. Finally began to introduce a level of darkness/threat into the movies.

Order Of The Phoenix - I didn't think that this movie captured the atmosphere of the books at all. The score was far too upbeat and took away from any kind of darkness that the script might of had. The montage scenes also felt like a cheap way to further the plot.

Deathly Hallows Part 2 - Would have been much higher if they'd had the final battle in the great hall, with everyone watching. i.e. as it was in the book. Ruined the whole movie in my opinion. Well, that and when Harry snapped the Elder Wand.

Chamber Of Secrets - Sometimes you can stick to the book too much :P This one felt like it went on for too long!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭jubella

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

Kevski wrote: »

Well, that and when Harry snapped the Elder Wand.

!

I preferred the movie ending

II I understand wand lore correct if some is defeat6ed , then there wand changes allegiance the to the victory . Therefore if Harry is defeated ( ie disarmed ), that person becomes the master of Elder Wand . Snapping it in half means that no one will be able to use it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Tikki Wang Wang

U

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Piehead

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭dingle1969

Deathly Hallows Part 2

Deathly Hallows Part 1

Order of the Phoenix

Prisoner of Azkaban

Goblet of Fire

Chamber of Secrets