Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Career in psychology or psychotherapy?

• 24-06-2019 4:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all. Next year i will finish my Hdip in psychology ( conversion course) from DBS. I know to be a psychologist in ireland i have to take a very long route, which i m not interested to take. Now i am not doing any paid job so i m really need a job as early as possible with that degtee. Now My qs is..

1) with HDIP in psychology what type of job can i get which support me financially and also count as work experience for further study?(possibly in clinical psychology)

2) if i want to be a psycotherapist, what route should i take after finishing my HDIp. DBS is offereing a MSC in psychoanalytic psychotherapy course, which is IACP accrediated and 4 yr long training and taught course. Can anyone advice me about it?

I really need a good career advice and a decent job in ireland for living as soon as possible. And dont want to waste time and money just by doing Ms, PHD in different areas of psychology. So please advice. is DBS psychoanalytic MSC allow me to work as a therapist in ireland?is there jobs available for therapist in ireland?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Nupur wrote: »
    Hi all. Next year i will finish my Hdip in psychology ( conversion course) from DBS. I know to be a psychologist in ireland i have to take a very long route, which i m not interested to take. Now i am not doing any paid job so i m really need a job as early as possible with that degtee. Now My qs is..

1) with HDIP in psychology what type of job can i get which support me financially and also count as work experience for further study?(possibly in clinical psychology)

2) if i want to be a psycotherapist, what route should i take after finishing my HDIp. DBS is offereing a MSC in psychoanalytic psychotherapy course, which is IACP accrediated and 4 yr long training and taught course. Can anyone advice me about it?

I really need a good career advice and a decent job in ireland for living as soon as possible. And dont want to waste time and money just by doing Ms, PHD in different areas of psychology. So please advice. is DBS psychoanalytic MSC allow me to work as a therapist in ireland?is there jobs available for therapist in ireland?

Thanks in advance.

This probably isn't going to be a post you enjoy reading.

To answer question 1, your H. Dip doesn't really qualify you to do much. You can apply for jobs across a spectrum of fields which require a degree (or equivalent) but strict psychology jobs? Not much. For most assistant psychologist jobs, they're looking for a masters graduate. And the pay (if there even *is* pay) tends to be on the poorer end of the scale.

For question 2, if you wanted to become a psychotherapist, you'd probably have benefitted from doing a psychotherapy course instead of psychology. In terms of pay scale, it roughly tends to be from lower - - - > higher:

Counsellor - - > Psychotherapist - - > Clinical / Counselling Psychologist

There are jobs available, but there's a lot of competition for counsellors and psychotherapists as it's a more common qualification. As a result of this, hourly fees are less.

I'm curious why you did the H. Dip in the first place? What career goals did you have? Had you researched them? And what is driving you in your new career?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Nupur

Thank you dear for your help. At first i really felt so hopeless. But then again think i will see the end whatever its look like.

Just saw some of your posts While roaming around in forums. And saw that you were also in same position years before where im now.

I always have an interest in mental health well being. That why i actually take psychology. And in my country people are getting aware about mental heath and now it has a huge demand there. Also found DBS is cheap enough than other universities. That why chose DBS.

I know to be a clinical psychologist i need to take a long road and its fne for me. I am just confused about shal i change my career to the psychoanalytic psychotherapy that offered by DBS and take less time to start a decent work or i pursue my MSC in applied psychology that offer by TCD?
    And after that MS can i get at least a decent job to earn a decent money and also gather my work experience?

If you dont mind will you advice what career path you have taken after your HDIp from DBS. I already applied some voluntary organisation and hopefully start working very soon.

Advertisement