Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Support for the last few months of the Phd

• 18-02-2014 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering if there's anyone else out there in their final year of the Phd? I hope to submit my thesis (humanities) in June so I thought it might be good to start a thread to talk about how we're getting on. They Phd is such an isolated experience, particularly in the humanities, so I think that it would be good to chat about it with people who are going through the same thing. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Evaleigh wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering if there's anyone else out there in their final year of the Phd? I hope to submit my thesis (humanities) in June so I thought it might be good to start a thread to talk about how we're getting on. They Phd is such an isolated experience, particularly in the humanities, so I think that it would be good to chat about it with people who are going through the same thing. :)

Fixed that for you there (I'm lucky if I talk to more than one person in the day).

Have just finished writing the last chapter, putting some other bits and pieces together. Hope to submit next month once the supervisor has a look over the last two or three chapters.

I can only find two words that express the last few months of the PhD: Fucking Grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Hang in there folks, the end is in sight!

I found the last year quite a drag but looking back it was over all of a sudden and I can't even remember the stress. You'll be more relaxed afterwards when it comes to making contacts and you definitely will, at least, that was/is my experience. :) Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Evaleigh

Nice to hear that Preusse. Glad to hear it worked out well for you! I know some people say they feel a bit empty when it's all over but I don't think I'll mind.

El Silgo, it sounds like you're nearly there! I'm also on my last chapter but then I'll have to redraft the whole thing! I've only done first drafts. You really start to question the worth of your work at this stage, don't you?

Evaleigh wrote: »
    Nice to hear that Preusse. Glad to hear it worked out well for you! I know some people say they feel a bit empty when it's all over but I don't think I'll mind.

El Silgo, it sounds like you're nearly there! I'm also on my last chapter but then I'll have to redraft the whole thing! I've only done first drafts. You really start to question the worth of your work at this stage, don't you?

Jesus, the thoughts of redrafting... In fairness when I did get corrections to do from the supervisor, they only took maybe a week per chapter. I mean it's tortuous still though.

I've often had sort of panic attack type things when I'm trying to remember a statistical method that I used (probably won't even be asked in detail about it either).:confused:

Cheers for that post Preusse, glad to know there's something on the otherside!

I came across this on one of a former lecturers websites, pretty funny:
    Seven phases of a PhD

1 Enthusiasm

2 Disillusionment

3. Panic

4. Despair

5. Search for the guilty

6. Punishment of the innocent

7. Praise and honours for the non-participants

Here's the site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 murph86m

Hey, just reaching out here to see if anyone else is in the same isolation of doing a PhD... I'm a humanities candidate and seriously struggling to lift my head up from the books at the moment. Did anyone else struggle at the 2nd year panel stage?

Advertisement