Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Now ye're talking - to a Hotelier

14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Up Donegal

If someone came to your hotel at, say, 2, 3, or 4 o'clock in the morning looking for a room, would you admit them and would they have to pay the full cost of the room?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Im not sure if we are talking about the same company. Capita Customer Solutions is the one Failte Ireland use. They are a very good operator in my experience

Same company I worked for in the UK managing DWP files... They are everywhere and know everything about everything. Plus few scandals.

They are good operators. And that's all :) And they are good at securing public funded contracts too somehow ;)

While highly regarded by businesses, not so by regular Joe's...

Some good info here, thanks for posting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

Im not even gonna go there with the Brennans LOL

Ok so lets break it down. Cleaning a room costs an average of €10 euro. This cost includes the staff wages, the cost of using new linen and the cost of replenishing the Teas / Coffees / Shampoo / Shower Gel / Soap, etc ...

So you clean the room once costing 10 euro, then you sell it for 20 euro and then you clean it again after that person leaves so it costs you another 10 euro. So .... - 10 euro cost + 20 euro revenue - 10 euro cost = zero. So you made no money on that room

But ... if you dont sell that room that night, then its still a clean room that you will have to sell tomorrow. And say you sell that room for 70 euro and then clean it the following morning. So in this scenario - 10 euro cost + 70 euro revenue - 10 euro cost = 50 euro. So you went from selling a room and making zero profit .... to selling the same room a day later and making 50 euro profit.

why can't you sell it both nights? And sell it for 25e the first night. 75e profit instead of 70. There is a risk to waiting last minute and very few are willing to take it so that will ensure a strong stream of reservations remains

• Company Representative Posts: 121 Verified rep I'm a hotelier, AMA

Up Donegal wrote: »
    Have you ever knowingly taken a booking for a room knowing that it was going to be used as a meeting place for an illicit encounter?

No but you get a sense for what may be transpiring by the way people book the rooms ie: comment on the reservation " can i check in early ... i have a meeting to get ready for " :D:D

If someone came to your hotel at, say, 2, 3, or 4 o'clock in the morning looking for a room, would you admit them and would they have to pay the full cost of the room?

as long as they seemed ok then yes you would sell them a room but they would still have to check-out at 12pm as normal

• Advertisement

wonski wrote: »
    Same company I worked for in the UK managing DWP files... They are everywhere and know everything about everything. Plus few scandals.

They are good operators. And that's all :) And they are good at securing public funded contracts too somehow ;)

While highly regarded by businesses, not so by regular Joe's...

Some good info here, thanks for posting.

The people that work for them that do the grading - they are all former hoteliers so ive never had any major issues with them :)

No but you get a sense for what may be transpiring by the way people book the rooms ie: comment on the reservation " can i check in early ... i have a meeting to get ready for " :D:D

Further to my earlier question, would you take such a booking if, let's say, you personally knew one or both the parties and knew they were married to someone else or had partners etc?

Further to my earlier question, would you take such a booking if, let's say, you personally knew one or both the parties and knew they were married to someone else or had partners etc?

I think that's more of a moral question you are asking as opposed to a hotelier one to be fair. It wouldn't be my place to judge people or question the reasons / ramifications of decisions that they make, regardless of whether they rented a hotel room from you or not

I think that's more of a moral question you are asking as opposed to a hotelier one to be fair. It wouldn't be my place to judge people or question the reasons / ramifications of decisions that they make, regardless of whether they rented a hotel room from you or not

I see where you're coming from.
    Thanks for the reply anyway.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

I want to say a huge thanks to our hotelier guest who has really given some great insights into hotel life, it's been an eye opener!

I'll close this up now, no doubt he has a very busy weekend ahead if he's working.

Thanks for all the questions too :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement