Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now ye're talking - to a Nurse

12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

This is a pet hate of mine. Patients don't abscond. They are not trying to escape lawful custody or arrest. They have left without treatment as is their right.

An elderly patient with demetia can and do abscond !!! Wandering near busy roads wearing just a gown !! Nurse will be held accountable.
    So I’ve no idea why your pet hate is directed at this nurse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Don't bother with this poster imo.

Never has a username been less appropriate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Hi, thanks for a fantastic thread.

In your opinion, what can the HSE do to make nursing in Ireland a more attractive job for graduate nurses and nurses abroad?

It's my understanding that while nurses in Ireland aren't underpaid per say, their are just much better opportunities abroad, in terms of money and conditions for graduates and nurses with a few years experience.

My friend worked in an Australian hospital for 2 years after graduating in Ireland and she said conditions are night and day when she came home to work in Ireland and had insane patient to nurse ratios, people on trolleys etc.

• Company Representative Posts: 71 Verified rep I'm a Nurse - AMA

Riraw wrote: »
    Hi,

First of all I applaud the nurses for going on strike. It is just a crying shame that it had to come to this. For such obviously needed changes to happen.

So Last year I had a 3 week stay in hospital, after 3 days on a trolley waiting for a bed.
    During that time I saw minimal interaction between nurses and their patients.
    Care assistants were doing the vast majority of the hands on work on my ward. Nurses were almost only on the ward during doctors rounds, and when medicines needed to be dispensed.
    Many times, I saw nurses walk into the ward avoiding eye contact with all patients.

You have mentioned that nurses have taken on more responsibilities in recent years, and have a greater level of education.
    So aside from the obvious understaffing issues. Has the role of a nurse expanded past providing physical care and attention to people?
    Are care assistants skilled and informed of individuals circumstances enough, to provide a similar standard of care to a nurse?

When a nurses family members present at the hospital where she/he work, are they fast tracked through the services?

Do you receive thank you gifts often? What is a nice gift to give a nurse?

Are you more likely to be let out of hospital on a friday?

Hello. Its sad that that was your experience but I hope you are fully better now. The role of a ward nurse has not expanded past caring for people no. I do think there are more demands as in patients with complex care needs and more and more paperwork but that all falls into understaffing too :o

As far as I am aware care assistants have been fully informed of individual circumstances in any places I worked in. I have also discussed care assistants earlier in this thread. I think if care assistants wish to upskill then the support needs to be there in the sense that if a care assistant like a family member of mine goes on a course to learn a new skill but then comes back to work and isn't able to carry that skill out as there is no-one to cover the already very busy list of jobs she has.

I will speak for my own family members that presented to where I worked and I can say for certain they did not get fast tracked and rightly so :o

I receive chocolates probably weekly where I work which incredibly generous especially if someone has went to the hospital shop to buy them. I think the best gift I received was an ice lolly in the hot weather! I don't ever expect gifts to be honest and although saying thank you I also tell someone they really shouldn't have. I think receiving a nice card is always special and something that all nurses seem to appreciate.

With regards to the Friday discharge, I don't know if this is actually true although many patient's have said it to me over the years.

Hi, thanks for a fantastic thread.

In your opinion, what can the HSE do to make nursing in Ireland a more attractive job for graduate nurses and nurses abroad?

It's my understanding that while nurses in Ireland aren't underpaid per say, their are just much better opportunities abroad, in terms of money and conditions for graduates and nurses with a few years experience.

My friend worked in an Australian hospital for 2 years after graduating in Ireland and she said conditions are night and day when she came home to work in Ireland and had insane patient to nurse ratios, people on trolleys etc.

You have already named the 2 things that came to mind when reading your question. If there was more staff patient to nurse ratio would improve. I do think the caseload that is expected from some nurses especially when newly enough qualified is unsafe. The bed numbers cannot be increased without the staff also but look at the pictures that have been put out there in the media of trolleys in general hospitals lined up corridors. Nurses cannot stay in that environment for long as they get so burned out as you realise you cannot provide the quality care that you be be able to if there were less trolleys or a reduced caseload.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Maybe you missed this post ....... care to offer your opinion?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109381331&postcount=151

• Registered Users Posts: 25,993 ✭✭✭✭noodler

What happens when another increase in pay (there have been increases in 2016, 2017, 2018 and more are scheduled for 2019 and 2020) fails to change anything in hospitals?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Riraw wrote: »

Are you more likely to be let out of hospital on a friday?

I actually think certain people are less likely to be discharged on a Friday. If an older person who lives alone and might not have family, they might not have home help on sat or sun, so sometimes that can sway a decision to discharge or not. Otherwise, I don’t think it makes any difference

You have already named the 2 things that came to mind when reading your question. If there was more staff patient to nurse ratio would improve. I do think the caseload that is expected from some nurses especially when newly enough qualified is unsafe. The bed numbers cannot be increased without the staff also but look at the pictures that have been put out there in the media of trolleys in general hospitals lined up corridors. Nurses cannot stay in that environment for long as they get so burned out as you realise you cannot provide the quality care that you be be able to if there were less trolleys or a reduced caseload.

If the main problems nurses face is understaffing and the knock on effects (bed numbers, trolley, burnout) and the HSE cannot hire enough nurses or make nurses stay in Ireland, then what do you think can be done to increase nurse numbers?

Personally I think the HSE needs to make nursing in Ireland an attractive option to students and graduates, and with the constant healthcare crises, the only way I can think is to offer really good wages compared to other countries, such as Australia, UAE etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭easygoing1982

hawkelady wrote: »
    An elderly patient with demetia can and do abscond !!! Wandering near busy roads wearing just a gown !! Nurse will be held accountable.
    So I’ve no idea why your pet hate is directed at this nurse.[/QUOTE

• Advertisement

So I’ve no idea why your pet hate is directed at this nurse.[/QUOTE

Absconding, where a patient leaves hospital without informing staff, can be a serious challenge for staff, patients and the hospital system. Patients who leave the hospital without physician permission before completing courses of treatment may cause harm to themselves and others (1).Oct 30, 2014

khaldrogo wrote: »

Never has a username been less appropriate.

Do you just ignore people when they don't agree with you. Bless. Poor you.

I'm very easy going. It's just this specific topic that winds me up. Do you honestly believe the health service is all about the nurses. There's plenty of NCHDs and support staff in a hospital thats overworked aswell.

Above was taken from the hse website !! A tad more meaningful in this thread as opposed to your link, don’t you think ?

Absconding, where a patient leaves hospital without informing staff, can be a serious challenge for staff, patients and the hospital system. Patients who leave the hospital without physician permission before completing courses of treatment may cause harm to themselves and others (1).Oct 30, 2014

As I stated before a person has every right to leave a hospital unless held under the mental health act.

As I stated before a person has every right to leave a hospital unless held under the mental health act.

Nah, some people can be a dangerous to themselves.

Some German hospital have fake bus stops outside. People with mental health problems who wander off sit down and wait for the bus:D

I've heard of some wards that have a "rummage box" by the door. Patients looking to leave stop to find their keys or wallet, then eventually forget they wanted to leave in the first place.

Even someone with demetia? While I’m engaging with you , if someone leaves a hospital without receiving the proper treatment or telling staff their intentions.... they were wasting everyone’s time taking up a bed and shouldn’t have been in there in the first place.

Absolutely. Agree 100% but they need to be assessed by a psychiatrist who then will "section" the patient and arrange for transfer to the relevant psychiatric unit by an approved means of transport. i.e ambulance and guards or a special team called an assist team.
    Some German hospital have fake bus stops outside. People with mental health problems who wander off sit down and wait for the bus:D
    I've heard of these and they're badly needed in ireland.
    I've heard of some wards that have a "rummage box" by the door. Patients looking to leave stop to find their keys or wallet, then eventually forget they wanted to leave in the first place.

I've never heard of this practice in an irish hospital

I'm very easy going. It's just this specific topic that winds me up. Do you honestly believe the health service is all about the nurses. There's plenty of NCHDs and support staff in a hospital thats overworked aswell.

The health service is not all about nurses but this thread is!!!

It's up to the NCHDs and support staff to try to improve their lot by striking or working to rule or whatnot. Maybe you could organise something

Do you just ignore people when they don't agree with you. Bless. Poor you.

Where am I ignoring you? You really do just see things the way the suits your rhetoric don't you! Bless. Poor you.

Best if luck with your life.

1. Do you think there would be a strike at all if the matter of pay parity was not one of the aims of the strike?

2. Do you think the nurses would have received better 'press coverage' and more public support if the subject of pay parity was not included?

Finally thank you for answering all these questions, and I wish you well in your future work.

Hi Johnboy1951,

I did indeed miss it sorry. I do think there would still be a strike. I do think the public support is amazing and I don't know how it could be any better and I think certain press coverage will always be negative when anyone is striking. I also do think nurses do deserve pay parity. In the UK they work on bands. Everyone starts off on a particular band which makes things more equal and it should be the same here?

I also wish you the best, sorry again for missing your post and thank you for the questions :)

Even someone with demetia]
    Legally a hospital cannot hold you unless held under the mental health act. A dementia patient will be kept in and followed if need be but LEGALLY a hospital needs to go to the courts and make the patient "a ward of the courts"
    While I’m engaging with you , if someone leaves a hospital without receiving the proper treatment or telling staff their intentions.... they were wasting everyone’s time taking up a bed and shouldn’t have been in there in the first place.[/QUOTE]

Possibly the only thing we are going to agree on:)

• Advertisement

Although this is quoted below I just wanted to reply to this comment.

Rummage boxes are a brilliant resource and ARE used in many hospitals and nursing homes. A rummage box is a box filled with things that can distract and allow a person to reminisce. A rummage box can be made for any person with dementia to use or can be personalised with photos and things that are special to that patient.

Where am I ignoring you? You really do just see things the way the suits your rhetoric don't you! Bless. Poor you.

Best if luck with your life.
    No I just see things that are posted in front of me. And the very best of luck to you also

No I just see things that are posted in front of me. And the very best of luck to you also

I was telling another poster not to bother with you.
    I was and am engaging with you despite my better judgement. In fact, I think I'm done now. You're aim, I believe, is to derail this thread and I won't be a party to that any longer.

I was telling another poster not to bother with you.
    I was and am engaging with you despite my better judgement. In fact, I think I'm done now. You're aim, I believe, is to derail this thread and I won't be a party to that any longer.

Ok. That's certainly not my aim. In fact I have no aim. This thread is possibly ill timed due to the strikes. If it had of been 4/5 weeks ago it would have had great potential.

Good morning to Everyone.

Considering the thread has gone quiet I just wanted to say thank you to everyone again before I log out. Thank you again to Niamh and Mark for facilitating it.

I welcome all the input on here and I appreciate everyone taking the time to ask a question or comment. Thank you to those that have opened my mind a little more also.

As a nurse that always strives to do my best to deliver quality care I am saddened to hear of those that have had poor experiences. After my own poor experiences last year with a loved one I just wanted to say to never ever be afraid to ask questions or to question the care that you or a loved one receive. I can assure you that I am a nurse that is open to discussion of any type with all patients and their families.

I was asked about gifts I receive, what I didn't mention is that I receive drawings and paintings regularly from children. In all the pictures drawn of me I have a smiley face and that proves to me that I am doing something right. No matter how bad my day is, how sad or how tired I am, I always try to remain positive and have a smile on my face.

I am proud to be a nurse. I am proud to work with an amazing team of incredible nurses who go out of their way to ensure that our patients remain happy and well cared for. I am proud to work with an amazing multidisciplinary team who are all also under serious pressure but always do their best too.

Lastly I am thankful for the support and kind words received, not only over the past few weeks but in general.

Thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Thanks to the nurse for taking the time and even more importantly for answering our questions truthfully, from the nurse's point of view.

I have to say that I think it was an error to have any pay related reason for the strike.

The obvious problem is a staffing issue, not only the numbers of nurses, but also the support staff which could take some of the burden from the nurses and free them to be more productive.

If this was the only thing to be negotiated, then I think this strike might well have had a much better chance of improving things for the patients.

Part of the solution to the under staffing might well have involved some pay elements.
    The fact that under staffing was supposed to be properly dealt with after previous negotiations, and failed, would have had the nurses in a very strong position.

I believe they have weakened the case for staffing level improvements by making this strike in large part about pay rise/restoration.

From a patient perspective I want to see the health service operate efficiently and for the benefit of patients.
    That means keeping nurse to patient ratios at about half what they are now.
    How that is achieved is a management decision not a decision to be forced on management by a section of the workforce.
    They could possibly have negotiated a time line and period progress checks etc. on promised improvements in staff levels if they had approached things differently.

I think an opportunity has been missed by including pay demands in the negotiations.
    I am saddened it is so.

There is a lot wrong with the health service and a nurses strike could have been used to force some changes beneficial to the patients (which of course would also benefit nurses by easing work loads and pressure), and also benefited the service generally with a domino effect on efficiency.
    I suspect even more staff would have supported such a targeted strike, and there could have been very very little negative reaction or press coverage to such a 'noble' cause for the strike.

Well that is how I have come away from this thread.
    Thanks again to the nurse and others who have posted.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Good morning to Everyone.

Considering the thread has gone quiet I just wanted to say thank you to everyone again before I log out. Thank you again to Niamh and Mark for facilitating it.

I welcome all the input on here and I appreciate everyone taking the time to ask a question or comment. Thank you to those that have opened my mind a little more also.

As a nurse that always strives to do my best to deliver quality care I am saddened to hear of those that have had poor experiences. After my own poor experiences last year with a loved one I just wanted to say to never ever be afraid to ask questions or to question the care that you or a loved one receive. I can assure you that I am a nurse that is open to discussion of any type with all patients and their families.

I was asked about gifts I receive, what I didn't mention is that I receive drawings and paintings regularly from children. In all the pictures drawn of me I have a smiley face and that proves to me that I am doing something right. No matter how bad my day is, how sad or how tired I am, I always try to remain positive and have a smile on my face.

I am proud to be a nurse. I am proud to work with an amazing team of incredible nurses who go out of their way to ensure that our patients remain happy and well cared for. I am proud to work with an amazing multidisciplinary team who are all also under serious pressure but always do their best too.

Lastly I am thankful for the support and kind words received, not only over the past few weeks but in general.

Thanks again :)

Thank you so much to our guest for answering so many questions about your nursing career and about your personal working conditions.

If anyone else would like to apply to do an AMA, applications are always open - please PM me, email niamh@boards.ie or fill out this form. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement