Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

toilet training

• 01-06-2018 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

little man is 3 and 8 months. Showing no interest in getting nappy off or anything but is curious with books and after a day of a book - Thomas the engine toilet training book - wanted to sit on toilet in playschool.

Decided to try to start on this basis. Have had the first few hours and already stuck! Have been letting him go without nappy and logging how frequently he goes. He tells me if he wees on the floor as knows from his book that "it's ok. clean up".
    1. not wanting to sit on potty so have put a variety of distractors within reach. finally got him to sit happily for 10 mins ( as the less than 5 mins was too little time and we'd miss it). BUT last time I checked, he'd wee'd outside the potty with only a few drops making it into potty. Potty possibly too small for him?? Unfortunately he didn't tell me this time - too distracted by toys?

2. Keeping him in non carpet areas of house is stressy. We have a lot of carpet so trying to keep him and toys in kitchen/ bathroom/ hall. As well as near-crawling baby.

3. Can't see him going with this regular sitting on potty mallarkey. He's getting a bit fed up already.

4. Give up already or see it out for the day...

5. Gut feeling is that he's not gonna buy into it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 GreenVelvet

Hi OP, my little boy is 3 years 5 months and similarly has no big interest in the toilet or taking off a wet / dirty nappy. Given his age plus he is tall for his age I have bypassed the potty, instead sitting him on the toilet briefly before he gets in the bath, when he has no clothes on. We have the step and a kids toilet seat. Might be worth trying that instead of the potty? Having said that he hops off after a few seconds, never wees. More interested in throwing reams of toilet paper in and flushing.

I bought a toilet training book in Aldi with sticker sheet etc but he has no real interest. Also tried Gemiini programme online, downloaded some of their toilet training videos. He watches them and says some of the words.

I just don't know when he will be ready. The girls in creche said they have not seen any signs he is ready but will support us when we start toilet training him. I always dreaded the thought of trying to train him.

Best of luck.

Best cues that child is ready for toilet training is going away to dirty/wet nappy - into corner of room or other room. Looking for nappy to be changed through gesture/words/looking uncomfortable/other cues. Has your child any of these signs? With children with ASD it often works well to go straight to training on the real toilet with seat with handles and steps rather than little potty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Tried. failed. Going to re-visit in September.

They use potty in playschool but I wonder are their potties bigger than what I have as he is way too big for the one here. He's nearly 3 1/2 foot.

Thinking of trying the potty seat ring thing that sits on the toilet next time.

Remember you don’t plan when a child (especially child with autism) is ready - they will show signs and you have to jump on those signs ASAP. Planning when to start (an arbitrary start date) it tends to end in failure as it is just you deciding not the child showing readiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Our little one is 4 at the end of the month and while she has shown that a dirty nappy irritates her and has come up to us from another room to ask to be changed she is still not ready as we tried a day or 2 without a nappy and she just didn't understand the que's as to when she was going to wee or poo and despite being asked repeatedly if she needed to to wee or poo she would always say "no", so we are going to give it another while and monitor the situation.

It is also worth while checking out your local library as there is a number of books dedicated to the subject of toilet training for kids with ASD and we found them to be helpful.

• Advertisement

tommycahir wrote: »
    Our little one is 4 at the end of the month and while she has shown that a dirty nappy irritates her and has come up to us from another room to ask to be changed she is still not ready as we tried a day or 2 without a nappy and she just didn't understand the que's as to when she was going to wee or poo and despite being asked repeatedly if she needed to to wee or poo she would always say "no", so we are going to give it another while and monitor the situation.

It is also worth while checking out your local library as there is a number of books dedicated to the subject of toilet training for kids with ASD and we found them to be helpful.

Yes a better sign of readiness is when they go to a different room or to corner etc and seem secretive/embarrassed. Here they are showing they know what is going to happen in advance and is a much better sign of readiness than wanting to be out of wet/dirty clothes (though thats a good sign too just not as far along the line of readiness).

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Clara B

Little man was 4 in July and showed no interest in potty training. We had been trying for 6 months. I didn't want to pressure him as he does everything in his own time-but pre school was a concern.
    During the summer I removed nappy during the day and let him wear pants. He had a lot of accidents but he needed to to understand the urge as I don't think he did. He also didn't like the discomfort of being wet. I would explain every time he peed what happened and that it was ok. Every time I went to the toilet I took him with me and explained the process. In August he asked to go pee pee like mammy and did it himself on the toilet. We made a big deal about how great he was and he was delighted. He still refuses to poo in toilet and will hold it,ask for nappy, poo and then ask for it to be removed-but we are making progress. Some days he will do it in the toilet. He wears pull ups at night, but his nights are mostly dry anyway.I let him keep the pull ups to decrease night time anxiety.
    Advice-if any and if needed is that like every child yours will progress to the next step when ready,and you will recognize when that is. Any time I felt anxious about his progress I told myself that I know no 30 year old men in nappies. I knew he would do it when ready. Ours are special kids and we cannot mark their progress against others. I have an 18 month old boy that will be ready to toilet train in a couple of months! I don't compare them-I just think of all they can teach each other and I think my second son is here as a gift for my first.
    Dont fret-it will happen and went it does throw a party!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

He's doing really well. Potty trained really quickly the second time, within 2 months, he was on the toilet with insert (which he was allergic to at first) and within 2 days of that, he decided he no longer needed either insert/ step! He can wee standning up if I help him so that also helps when we are out and about so at least no more need to bring potty aids around with us. Night time a dif story as he loves his milk before bed and i know that will have to go first and I'm not ready to make him make any other big changes as he's just mastered the big toilet and that's great. I did think a few months ago that I would tackle the night dodie by now too but now that's on the After Xmas list too. One thing at a time....

Advertisement