Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

No Honey in Hive

• 15-08-2019 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

I have a hive of bees that havent produced any Honey for the last 2-3 years.
    What would be the issue?
    Hive look strong enough but i havent checked to see if there is a queen in there or not.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,236 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

They must be packing away enough to carry them over the winter.

That can still be sizable.

There surely must be a queen inside, the hive will not last long without.

Maybe they use the summer honey very quick, not thrifty with stores, keep laying eggs during dearths or bad weather and stock up again off ivy later in the year.

Maybe they swarm each year if you are letting them on their own, that would knock honey production on its ear.

What race of bee are they.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭noworries2004

They are Native Irish Bee's.
    The hive has disappeared now so i think there must have been no Queen :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,236 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It's s tough year on rearing queens this year, having emergency queens, bad laying patterns, not returning from flights.

Store your wax frames inside your home.

Put them in next may, please God you'll catch a swarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭noworries2004

Luckily enough i got a swarm from this hive this year. Its not a strong swarm but at least its something. Have them in a hive now and feeding them Sugar at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Get some buckfasts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Get some buckfasts!

Learn to be a better beekeeper, then consider buckfasts.

Advertisement