Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Again, (again, again) it begins... (SU Elections)

• 22-01-2007 12:43pm

Well, it's a week until nominations open according to the latest SU e-mail (which included the following line, by Quinn...
    This is a campaign that you can get involved in. All you have to do is e-mail the college secretary – secretary@tcd.ie, with ‘I want the Irish Flag flown above Trinity’. It’s as simple as that and I’ll have a huge effect!

Well, I laughed.)

But anyway, on the point of this thread. Quite simply, who is running? Who is thinking of running? TN & the Record are out this week and will probably have speculation over who will be running, but what do people here think?

Nominations open on Monday 29th January and close on Wednesday 7th February.

/cue several new accounts from hacks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Conal Campbell (former head of the PDs and current Record hack) will be running for Dep. Pres.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

If anyone's thinking of running I'd strongly recommend that you do. Having run myself I can say that it's a great experience and very rewarding (even if you lose - trust me!). I have great memories from my campaign that will stay with me forever no matter how disappointing it was in the end.

Andrew

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Crash

To be intentionally vague - presidente has one union hack, an outgoing labor youth head, and what looks like an ex-green pres going for it.

Dep Pres has 3 current University Record staff planning on running for the position, as well as a histie in the mix there too.

Education has one SU hack and a histie hack going for it, with possibly one other long time member of college (not sure where that stands though)

welfare has one SU hack, one faculty convenor, one school convenor, one PSN chair, and possibly one or two more.

Ents has the organiser of the messiest night on earth (twisted tuesday), one T:FMer, and one philboy running for it, at last count.

on that note, 4/5 positions have a gmb candidate running for them - conspiracy no?

Oh, and in case the name intrigues people, here's "Again it begins" and "Again it begins 2006".

Sean Conway (fine gael, ex-hist, have to physically restrain myself from ripping his shirt off whenever I see him) will also be running for Dep. Pres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

I think we should name names; seriously, it's good to have an idea of who's running for what, rather than just hinting. It doesn't do any harm and means we can have a proper debate about the merits/demerits of potential candidates.

I'll put down everyone that I've heard is thinking about running (except for two people who have said that they don't want their name mentioned at the moment. Oh and I don't know anyone going for Ents so someone else can fill that in).

President: Andy Byrne (ex-Chair of Greens), Wayne Tobin (TSM Convenor). The rumours about Graham O'Maonaigh (ex-Chair Labour Youth) going for it are apparently just a joke.

Deputy President: Conall Campbell, Neasa McGarrigle (Arts & Humanities Convenor), whoever the current News Editor is (sorry, can't remember their name) and possibly Johnny Drennan (Deputy Editor of TN last year)

Education: Neil McGough (aka crash_000; SU), Bartley Rock (Hist) and possibly Ross Wynne (Officer for Students with Disabilities)

Welfare: Dee McClean (ex-Arts Letters Convenor), Ray Healy (LGBT), Karen Lawlor (Welfare Committee I think) and possibly last year's Deputy News Editor for Trinity News (who's also a VdePer)

stargal wrote:
    Education: possibly a long-term boardsie

Shock horror.
    Welfare: Dee McClean (ex-Arts Letters Convenor)

Heh, that's news to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

stargal wrote:
    President: Andy Byrne (ex-Chair of Greens), Wayne Tobin (TSM Convenor). The rumours about Graham O'Maonaigh (ex-Chair Labour Youth) going for it are apparently just a joke.
    The Retard reports Stephen Mallon (M.A. Hilarity) will run as well. Rumours that Rob Kearns (B.A. Goatee Studies)
    Deputy President: Conall Campbell, Neasa McGarrigle (Arts & Humanities Convenor), whoever the current News Editor is (sorry, can't remember their name) and possibly Johnny Drennan (Deputy Editor of TN last year)
    Seán Conway is running. Claire Waters(/Walters?) is the name of the News Editor iirc.
    Education: Bartley Rock (Hist), possibly a long-term boardsie and possibly Ross Wynne (Officer for Students with Disabilities)
    <snip> also rumoured. (Edit: d'oh).
    Welfare: Dee McClean (ex-Arts Letters Convenor), Ray Healy (LGBT), Karen Lawlor (Welfare Committee I think) and possibly last year's Deputy News Editor for Trinity News (who's also a VdePer)
    You can add my name to this list as a possible candidate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭xeduCat

Could someone post (or PM me) the full text of the call-to-email-the-college-secretary about the flag?

(FWIW I disagree with the Union policy on flags, am just curious...)

Ibid wrote:

Seán Conway is running. Claire Waters(/Walters?) is the name of the News Editor iirc.

Claire Waters is a former news ed. Current is Claire Tighe.

• Advertisement

xeduCat wrote:
    Could someone post (or PM me) the full text of the call-to-email-the-college-secretary about the flag?

(FWIW I disagree with the Union policy on flags, am just curious...)
    Hi guys,

Here are the announcements for the week:

Irish Flag

For the past few years, the Students’ Union has been pushing for the Irish Flag to be flown above Trinity on a regular basis. Although this is not the most pressing issue out there, it is one that is constantly raised to me by students and one that could be easily resolved. As such, we’ll be running a campaign over the next few weeks to get some movement on this issue.

This is a campaign that you can get involved in. All you have to do is e-mail the college secretary – secretary@tcd.ie, with ‘I want the Irish Flag flown above Trinity’. It’s as simple as that and I’ll have a huge effect!

xeduCat wrote:
    Claire Waters is a former news ed. Current is Claire Tighe.
    Ugh, I'm an old-timer already.

stargal wrote:
    President: Andy Byrne (ex-Chair of Greens)
    Ugh. He makes me want to vomit.

ibid wrote:
    You can add my name to this list as a possible candidate.
    You're far to right-wing and uncaring. Have you considered Education Officer?

Ibid wrote:
    Ugh, I'm an old-timer already.

Better sort that out if you wanna be elected :)

You're far too right-wing and uncaring. Have you considered Education Officer?

Oi! Watch your mouth ;)

There was a time when centre-left Labour hacks (ahem) had a fairly firm lock on Education. That was in more left-wing times where the moderate, reform-the-system-don't-smash-it type made a beeline for education, while the hotheads went for the more glamorous Presidential election. In fact of the last ten or so years of Education Officers, more than half were vague social democrats of some sort...

You're far to right-wing and uncaring. Have you considered Education Officer?

:D
    EduCat wrote:
    In fact of the last ten or so years of Education Officers, more than half were vague social democrats of some sort...

Hmm...

xeduCat wrote:
    Better sort that out if you wanna be elected :)
    I'm blatantly taking the piss :)

Ibid wrote:
    I'm blatantly taking the piss :)

On being a candidate, on being an old-timer, or a bithaboat?

Ibid wrote:
    The Retard

Is it out?

xeduCat wrote:
    On being a candidate, on being an old-timer, or a bithaboat?
    On being a candidate. I struggle to think of less attractive things than spending a year with Dick Treacy and Conal Campbell (oh wait he won't get elected).

I am feeling a bit old and broodish at the moment though, so I think the best cure is to catch the next train and go to bed.

Hmm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Comhra....

stargal wrote:

That's very flattering Christine but I think if I was running that's not the office I'd be after ;)

Tbh I was pretty surprised at that myself! I'll have to kill my source*. That's the price they pay for giving me mis-dis-un-information.

*Who by the way was one of the other candidates :)

Not sure who it is, but on a purely unrelated note no-one has mentioned Ms. Úna Faulkner's name yet.

Myth wrote:
    Not sure who it is, but on a purely unrelated note no-one has mentioned Ms. Úna Faulkner's name yet.

That's who I was very subtly referring to earlier on :D

She'd said that she was keeping it on the D-L the last time I spoke to her but I guess that's changed!

Aye I understand that names should be named stargal, I just don't think that its my place to name them, if you get what I mean.
    stargal wrote:
    possibly a long-term boardsie

Hrmm - which one?

Hrmm - which one?

Me.

Nah, it's you ;)

What do people think is the most influential post? Which one would you be able to make the most of an impact in?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Influential, I dunno, but for impact, it's gotta be Education. Unless you're Robert Kearns, in which case you're not very much use at all. Sorry Rob, you had a lot to live up to, I'll give you that, but you need to try a little harder.

What do people think is the most influential post? Which one would you be able to make the most of an impact in?

I guess it depends on what you want to influence ;)

e.g.

if you want to influence the future running of the college, the approach towards methods of education, etc then it's probably Education

if you want to influence a number of individuals towards coping better with 'life' and such things then Welfare is a more direct way to do that than other jobs (which have similar but less 'effective' roles towards that goal)

if you want to influence how the Union works, how it is perceived (by students, by college and by outsiders) then being President makes sense as you have the strongest powers on the things that matter there (the various pulpits, the ability to lead etc)

if you want to influence through the power of mass communications then obviously DP is the most influential of the 5 SU roles (accepting of course that there are other ways to influence the messages consumed by the student 'public') as they have more direct access to the audience than the others.

etc etc. so a lot of it comes back to what a candidate's personal and political approach is - i.e. if you see the Union as being in administrative and financial chaos leading to apathy (and want to run because, at least in major part, you want to fix that) then running for Welfare Officer won't be the easiest way to opening the doors to do something about that (not saying that it's impossible, just that it's more difficult).

• Advertisement

I think its all about what you view as the most important issue - Educations always been my one probably because it was one of the first areas I ever got involved in in the SU, whereas other people would have maybe dealt with the welfare officer when they started and see that job as the most important in their eyes, or gotten involved with some ents stuff in different societies and thought that was the best.

if you're too lazy to read the above paragraph, just take what daithi posted, concise it down to a paragraph, and put my name beside it :D

Advertisement