Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Window boards/Architraves

• 30-01-2013 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

We are in the process of a new build. We have put in cream windows on the inside. We now need to decide on window boards/ architraves and from there skirting boards and internal doors. Looking for ideas online and most of the windows we see are white.

Would white window boards just look off. Should we stick to solid oak window boards etc. Or go the painted route. Just looking for ideas. Builder has recommended red deal. But we'd have to go painted then. Would veneer skirting boards restrict us?

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

vinnie32 wrote: »
    We are in the process of a new build. We have put in cream windows on the inside. We now need to decide on window boards/ architraves and from there skirting boards and internal doors. Looking for ideas online and most of the windows we see are white.

Would white window boards just look off. Should we stick to solid oak window boards etc. Or go the painted route. Just looking for ideas. Builder has recommended red deal. But we'd have to go painted then. Would veneer skirting boards restrict us?

Thanks

Around 7-8 euro for a moulded 16 foot length of red deal skirting in most builders providers.

Very easy to paint them....even when DIYing it.

I have cream tripple glazed windows and all skirting is red deal painted in a nice eggshell.
    Window cills are also white and it looks nice imo.

Every room has at least 2 different colours on the walls and this makes each room different in their own way.
    4 different colours in the kitchen.:pac::D

200mm Wide plank light oak flooring downstairs (downstairs fully open plan) and also 600 x 600 x 25mm natural marble tiles with 600 x 200 x 25mm brown marble border tiles in kitchen.
    Upstairs is all carpeted (apart from bathroom and ensuite which are fully tiled out).

As allready mentioned...all skirting in the house is red deal and then painted eggshell.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MisseyB

We have cream window frames inside the house and we painted the window boards white. I don't think it looks odd at all.

You could put a few white sheets of paper where the window board will go to get a feel for what it would look like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

We (girlfriend and myself) painted our entire house ourselves (all walls,ceilings and skirting).

Builder was pressing for us to go with the painter but when we saw that we could save a couple of thousand euro by doing it ourselves,we decided to do it ourselves.

Carpenter fitted the kitchen,all the wooden flooring,doors,and skirting and then we painted the house ourselves (doors are light oak,so didnt have to paint them).

We painted the entire house in 20% diluted matt white (primer coat) and left it for 2 months to get a feel for the space and rooms of the house.

Then we picked our own colours (paint trade centre) and painted each room in its various colours

Turned out great and the wallet was still full at the end..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 manfromthemoon

MisseyB wrote: »
    We have cream window frames inside the house and we painted the window boards white. I don't think it looks odd at all.

You could put a few white sheets of paper where the window board will go to get a feel for what it would look like.
    Hi, I know this is an old thread but we are trying to decide on what window boards to put with cream windows. Would you have a picture of yours with the white? I'm nervous that it will make the windows look almost yellow! Thanks.

Advertisement