Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Money Saving Tips

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭jesso22

Tv wise, we cancelled sky a couple years ago, as there was something wrong with the satelite and they wouldn't send out a technician.
    Needless to say, they rang every month trying to get us back, for over a year.
    We bought a uk 'sky viewing card' from eBay for €10 and got all the uk free channels, and realised they were the only channels we used to watch anyways, and they were FREE! Worth looking up the 'free' channels and deciding what you are actually paying for with a subscription service and is it worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

I pick up kids clothes that i know will be worn in sales. Things like jeans, hoody’s etc. Some end up in storage for a year but they end up wearing good quality clothes for Penny’s prices. Have to have an idea of what you have already though so you don’t duplicate. I do appreciate this may not work so well as they get older and have a view on what they want to wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭mickmac76

whampiri wrote: »
    Cancel magazine subscriptions you don't use anymore. If you do read magazines, then take out a subscription. They're far cheaper to pick up direct than through local stores (only if you're going to read them)

Walk rather than take transport to work and you can lose the gym membership.
    Regarding magazines. My library has a website that I can use for reading many magazines free of charge for library members. Membership of your local library is free and no fines has also been brought in from this year on so it's well worth joining. I canceled my subscription to new scientist magazine last year when I realized that the library has the electronic version online every week free of charge. There's a large selection of magazines covering areas like science and nature, fitness, mens and womens interest and current affairs. You can also get dvds and computer games from some libraries and order ones you'd like from other locations around the country. My library also has a selection of ebooks which isn't huge but I always check it before I buy a book on my kindle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Watch out for Credit card late fees. Just noticed a late fee from Avantcard and I made a payment over Christmas. Claimed it was the banks fault over xmas that it took 5 days to transfer from bank account. They reserved the charge.

Also, 'Say No to 1890' Brilliant Money Saver.
    http://www.saynoto1890.com/a-z-listing/

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

If you are interested in getting out of debt and never borrowing again for anything except maybe a house then listen to a guy called Dave Ramsey.

Follow his baby step rules and you will be debt free. Needs will power and discipline:)

Listen to a few podcasts before passing judgement on it.

• Advertisement

If you live in an area with good 4G coverage and have an all you can eat subscription then cancel your broadband subscription and use your phone as a hotspot instead.
    I regularly get over 70meg (over 2meg is all you need for Netflix) speeds using my mobile phone. I have it connected to my Humax free to air satelite box and use it for Netlix on the TV too.

Calls and broadband cost me 20 euro per month with three.

Get out Sky / eir e.t.c. and use a Fee to air satelite box. 90% of the channels with sky/others are free anyway and you probably only watch a couple of the channels unique to sky/eir e.t.c. madness paying for Sky when 90% of their channels are free to air.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

jesso22 wrote: »
    Tv wise, we cancelled sky a couple years ago, as there was something wrong with the satelite and they wouldn't send out a technician.
    Needless to say, they rang every month trying to get us back, for over a year.
    We bought a uk 'sky viewing card' from eBay for €10 and got all the uk free channels, and realised they were the only channels we used to watch anyways, and they were FREE! Worth looking up the 'free' channels and deciding what you are actually paying for with a subscription service and is it worth it

I bought a FreeSat box a few years ago. No recurring fees and the interface is much better than a sky box. It can record, pause rewind live TV, all the usual, had an app that can be used as a remote, or to set up recordings and has Netflix and YouTube apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Leinster1980

whampiri wrote: »
    Cancel magazine subscriptions you don't use anymore. If you do read magazines, then take out a subscription. They're far cheaper to pick up direct than through local stores (only if you're going to read them)

Walk rather than take transport to work and you can lose the gym membership.

If you join the library you can borrow ebooks to read on tablet or phone. You can also install another app to read magazines online. I saved a fortune on buying the bbcgoodfood magazine as I can read it for free through the app.

Apologies saw someone else already mentioned this earlier. It’s a great money saver.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭- bo -

Phone/Broadband/TV: Definitely look in to Free-to-air/Freesat boxes. If not, if you know anybody working for certain providers, they often offer Friends & Family deals - I'm on one I got a while back on Three, and we used to have them back in the day when I worked for O2. I know Sky had them at one stage too.

Clothes: I don't buy new clothes all that regularly, but tend to use sites like mandmdirect for discounted. You can get some absolutely gems there - grabbed a nice pair of Adidas runners for €40-odd which were retailing elsewhere at €80-90 and a nice hoodie on offer for less than €10 that would easily be €50-60 normally.

If we shop and plan meals cleverly enough on Sundays then our weekly shopping rarely goes near €50 in Lidl. And a good shout on the SayNoTo1890 site, I have a habit of always checking it now before calling certain providers such as Aviva for my car insurance. Speaking of which, I get 15% off both my car and house insurance for having both products with Aviva now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

- bo - wrote: »
    Speaking of which, I get 15% off both my car and house insurance for having both products with Aviva now.

.....And you get free travel insurance......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭- bo -

True! I normally fly a few times a year but not doing so anytime soon (house buying, wedding...) - so holding off before I avail of that :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Phil1969

To really save on monthly living costs you need to break down your monthly spending and see what you are currently spending your money on. Once you break down your monthly spending you can then work on each area and see where you can save money.

For example, here is how I break down my monthly expenses. We spend less than 2000 euros for a family of 5 per month and can go to as little as 1500 if need be.

Rent - fixed
    Electricity - we moved to Just energy, save around 500 per year than we were paying with electric Ireland
    Food - we shop for reductions, bulk buy good promotions, make use of Dunnes spend and save vouchers
    Transport - walk when can or use bus instead of car
    Clothes - buy at better brands at charity shops, save lots
    School costs - pretty much fixed
    Internet - Use 3.ie for 30 euros per month, not great but does us.
    Phone - Use 3.ie 20 euros per month unlimited, did use 48.ie for 10 euros per month but moved to 3.ie as better of internet
    Leisure - limit leisure during winter, rarely eat out, prefer to save money towards holidays,

Some of my other tips would be do use cash more than a debit card to avoid quarterly charges (if you do not enough in your account to avoid charges). Make a shopping list before going shopping and stick too it, do not shop when your hungry!, use shop and spend vouchers wisely.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭anitaca

Phil1969 wrote: »
    Internet - Use 3.ie for 30 euros per month, not great but does us.
    A 3 phone sim will work in a mobile broadband modem or you can use your phones as hotspots

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Phil1969

anitaca wrote: »
    A 3 phone sim will work in a mobile broadband modem or you can use your phones as hotspots

I was using the sim card at first for hotspot but a few users slowed it down so decided to go for the new offer. In the beginning, the modem was working well but I have now found it to be slowing down and of course I am tied in for a year :( . I will be going back hotspots later or going for something better with another company.

Phil1969 wrote: »
    I was using the sim card at first for hotspot but a few users slowed it down so decided to go for the new offer. In the beginning, the modem was working well but I have now found it to be slowing down and of course I am tied in for a year :( . I will be going back hotspots later or going for something better with another company.

Just use your phone as a wifi hotspot . No need to take sim out and no need to have mobile broadband dongle.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭AhhHere

niallers1 wrote: »
    Just use your phone as a wifi hotspot . No need to take sim out and no need to have mobile broadband dongle.

How many devices have you connected at once do you know?

AhhHere wrote: »
    How many devices have you connected at once do you know?

Depends on your phone but my last phone Samsung A16 could handle a few devices. The spec if I recall correctly says up to 10. Not sure about my Huawei P20 lite but I usually have two or three devices on the go without problem.

I use it for work with lots of company apps with more than enough upload/download speed . Netflix for kids also on the go at the same time.

The good thing about it is that you can control turning off the internet when you want it off. ( Handy if you have kids)
    I'm in a 4G area so might not work if you are not.

My mobile phone and internet bill per month is €20.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,555 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I'd say about 4-5. Using your phone as a hotspot is a last resort to me. the problem with a connection that goes away means your other devices in the house lose connection whenever you leave the house. that's grand if you live alone, but if you've teenagers/kids in the house they won't be too happy.

definitely have a MiFi but don't use your phone as a hotspot. Internet is almost on par with electricity can you imagine if your electricity switched off if you walked 20m outside your house?

some people can take money saving too far sometimes.

but if you've teenagers/kids in the house they won't be too happy.

The kids in my case are under 7 so would not be alone. If i was out the missus hotspot will kick in. ( Children don't use the internet much under 10 anyway or shouldn't use it much and never unaccompanied)

Teenagers will probably have their own phone with unlimited internet so no need for fixed broadband it if they have their own.

Now if your home security and other things need the internet then you will have no choice but if you don't then your phone is grand.

This is a money saving forum so no such thing as taking money saving too far, Most people are broke so could do with taking money saving to the extreme to get out of being broke :)

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭AhhHere

I'd say about 4-5. Using your phone as a hotspot is a last resort to me. the problem with a connection that goes away means your other devices in the house lose connection whenever you leave the house. that's grand if you live alone, but if you've teenagers/kids in the house they won't be too happy.

definitely have a MiFi but don't use your phone as a hotspot. Internet is almost on par with electricity can you imagine if your electricity switched off if you walked 20m outside your house?

Interesting, thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 arachne

Avoid internet shopping at the weekend in sterling or other foreign currency. Banks fix exchange rates high at the weekend to protect themselves against any significant fluctuations on Monday e.g. in the Asian markets. Or so I hear!

• Site Banned Posts: 160 ✭✭Kidkinobe

You can save a fortune on mouthwash by not spiting it down the sink, spit it right back into the bottle so you can reuse it...I have the same bottle of mouth wash for almost 14 months now...and at 3 Euro a pop, I have at least saved 40 Euros.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    That’s taking things a step too far lol
    Buy the mouthwash in dealz or Aldi and it won’t be €3 a pop
    3 Euros is the Aldi price...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,320 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Great thread, getting my eyes opened quite a bit.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Go to dealz then €1.49

Will do, but think I might get another 6 months out of my current bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭pat k

On the subject of shoes, buy a really good pair of all leather shoes. Wear them for 3 or 4 weeks, then take them to a cobbler and get him to glue rubber soles and heels over the existing leather. When a hole comes in the rubber, bring them back and get them covered again. If you do this, you never wear out the original sole, so the shoe never loses it's integrity. I still wear shoes that I have for over 20 years. They are Loakes so quite expensive initially ,but actually work out cheaper over time doing this.

I actually did this with a pair of Nike air max (mad expensive at the time because I was not working) brilliant runners and I got 5 years out of them :-) only pair of runners I had too, but sadly the came and we parted :-(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

Become a minimalist, start by selling or just getting rid of all your Junk, then you will buy less ascribing to this view thus saving you money.

The mouthwash tip could that be applied to other products i wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

mickmac76 wrote: »
    Regarding magazines. My library has a website that I can use for reading many magazines free of charge for library members. Membership of your local library is free and no fines has also been brought in from this year on so it's well worth joining. I canceled my subscription to new scientist magazine last year when I realized that the library has the electronic version online every week free of charge. There's a large selection of magazines covering areas like science and nature, fitness, mens and womens interest and current affairs. You can also get dvds and computer games from some libraries and order ones you'd like from other locations around the country. My library also has a selection of ebooks which isn't huge but I always check it before I buy a book on my kindle.

I must look this up in the library's Im signed up for, when you say oline, can you access content through their website from home using your account with them? or do you mean you have to go to the library yourself to access it from their computers?

niallers1 wrote: »
    If you are interested in getting out of debt and never borrowing again for anything except maybe a house then listen to a guy called Dave Ramsey.

Follow his baby step rules and you will be debt free. Needs will power and discipline:)

Listen to a few podcasts before passing judgement on it.

Interesting, there is a guy from the UK, just cant think of his name right now, he gives great advice on money management, the stuff he talks about should be the basics for everyone, mainly I paid attention to what he said about paying down the expensive debt and not drip feeding it (Im aware of it, but its astonishing that many just drip feed any credit card debt paying thousands in interest when they could use that to pay down debts or even go on a holiday), and not constantly hitting your finances for expensive small costs like lunches and coffees regularily which add up, sometimes they are essential and in the case of deals, a meal can be quick, convenient and necessary, but generally eating out is more expensive. I used to think buying a cooked chicken was an expensive luxury, but now I get them the odd time €6 and got sandwiches, dinner so far today and tomorrows dinner already made out of it with some rice and stir fried veg, plus enough left over for lunch sandwiches tomorrow.

I think buying to some extent in bulk for food from a supermarket rather than do too many trips to shopping where you increase the chances of picking up unintended luxuries and definitely try avoid frequent small purchases from convenience stores as they really can add up (although bargains can be available), and watch your change, thats a great money saving tip, been hit frequently with prices not being correct in one place or bargains not marked down and sold as normal price by as much as 20-25% of the total cost, I still rather buy quality rather than cheap for food.

Likewise for footwear, Ive loads, a pair for each use, safety boots for work saves me wearing out my own, plus a requirement, in particular Ive a pair of clarkes low cut boot, leather upper, says gortex, waterproof going on 10 years whcih I wear all the time and the sole is getting a bit worn out only now, like slippers and they dont seem like they will ever wear out, Im not too convinced about glueing an additional sole on to save on wear as a good pair will last anyway, it may take away from the comfort and safety if the sole peels away ad it may not suit the sole tread pattern. I may try get these done though as the upper part is still so comfortable and nice, quality looks very good. Worn through a pair of old runners and use them for when Im doing cleaning up and keep the new pair for walking/exercise, a quality pair of walking boots and two nice pairs of shoes, I dont think I would really ever need to buy another pair of shoes other than if I liked some, but I just dont need anymore..

Shopping around on car insurance, or even just asking what they can do with their qoute can have them knock off €50, which pays for the credit cost if spreading the cost across the year, or is more money in your pocket if you can pay upfront.

Sensible use of credit cards, use to pay for items upfront (gives protection to the consumer, I rarely use my debit card as it costs per use and not for very large expensive purchases or even for small purchases as its charged per use, plus I prefer take a bit of cash out once as you can see what you're spending and not charged each time for the luxury), make a saving by paying upfront (like with car insurance) then with Avant they offer you to get a reduced rate by taking a loan for 6months, if you had €1000 on CC after Car Ins, take a low interest loan with them, and pay the CC debt with that, then pay half or less the normal interest rate and ensure to pay down that balance as quickly as possible and within their usual timeframe (6months) if not they will charge full interest over the full term, but you can renegotiate a new loan if need be, usually Ive paid down payments (like car insurance) that way as its cheaper than the interest charge by car insurers on installment payments.

McGaggs wrote: »
    I bought a FreeSat box a few years ago. No recurring fees and the interface is much better than a sky box. It can record, pause rewind live TV, all the usual, had an app that can be used as a remote, or to set up recordings and has Netflix and YouTube apps.

Gave up the tv subscription years ago to save money as I think it was 75 a month for that alone, got a freesat box but the EPG interface was slow, what box do you have? thinking of getting a replacement FTA, as have been using an android box for a while, although may get IPTV, would like if netflix could be all in one with it. A nice non glitchy interface/EPG that has the features you mention would be good.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

1874 wrote: »
    I must look this up in the library's Im signed up for, when you say oline, can you access content through their website from home using your account with them? or do you mean you have to go to the library yourself to access it from their computers?
    I don't think this is the same one, but you can also access newspapers from around the world via your library membership on an app called PressReader. This may not be available to all libraries but worth asking in yours.

Also, if you read a lot and tend to read on Kindle or tablet, you can use the BorrowBox app with your library membership details and borrow e-books directly from your device - no need to go to the library (or bookshop) at all. You can also order books for your library to either buy in or borrow from other libraries for you if there is something they don't have (rather than just buying it).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭mickmac76

1874 wrote: »

You can login at home and read them. The website

https://lgma.rbdigitalglobal.com/

is a new website and if you register with it it seems to have all the county council libraries in the country as part of it. So any part of the country can access all the magazines including back issues. To find a magazine just click on the explore button on the top right hand corner followed by filter and genre.

Advertisement