Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Money Saving Tips

Options
  • 28-12-2018 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Thought I'd start a thread on some handy money saving tips so we can learn from each other. I don't earn a huge salary so I try to make an effort to save money. Here's a few things I do:

Always pay in sterling on sites like ASOS- guaranteed to save a few euro
    When I'm going away I always look up Groupon to get restaurant deals etc in that area
    Get books from the library instead of buying them
    Selling unwanted clothes on Depop

Any other ideas?

Comments

Thought I'd start a thread on some handy money saving tips so we can learn from each other. I don't earn a huge salary so I try to make an effort to save money. Here's a few things I do:

Always pay in sterling on sites like ASOS- guaranteed to save a few euro
    When I'm going away I always look up Groupon to get restaurant deals etc in that area
    Get books from the library instead of buying them
    Selling unwanted clothes on Depop

Any other ideas?

avoiding buying clothes online or having meals out so often that they are two of my top tips to save money

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭geriatric

avoiding buying clothes online or having meals out so often that they are two of my top tips to save money

The OP is genuinely looking for advice and offered some of their own. I think your comments are a bit smart and unhelpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭nothing

Shop around for electricity, gas, internet service regularly and when you switch put the date of the end of contract in your phone calendar as a reminder.

Switch banks if there's a better deal out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭The Undecided One

Avoid bargain alerts as it often leads to impulse buying.

Get rid of your credit card, use your debit card instead.

Try and pay off your car insurance in one payment rather than paying in instalments to avoid 10% extra charge (could be €50 to over €200 depending on your insurance cost).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Field east

Avoid bargain alerts as it often leads to impulse buying.

Try and pay off your car insurance in one payment rather than paying in instalments to avoid 10% extra charge (could be €50 to over €200 depending on your insurance cost).
    A lot of people go to resturants|hotels/ McDonalds for a meal during or at the end of a long journey. Bring your favorite sandwich’s/ biscuits and a flask of tea / coffee instead and pick a nice scenic spot to enjoy. You save time and money. Same idea as bringing your lunch to work instead of eating out at lunchtime

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Marty101

More of spend avoidance, I setup direct debit for about 25% of pay check to go into deposit savings account.

I also started getting my old jeans etc repaired or altered instead of buying new ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I’d counter this point. Using a credit card for online / foreign purchases is worth the €30 government stamp
    duty fee. If your credit card number gets swiped you’re usually protected and the bank won’t hold you accountable. If this happens with a debit card, your money is gone, it’s up to the bank whether it comes back and not to mention it puts you in unnecessary cash flow issues. You do need to be disciplined and pay it every month.

For sterling/foreign currency purchases fleet a Revolut card, they have better foreign exchange fees than traditional banks.

Keep a note of when you signed up for services (gas, electricity, Internet etc.) when your contract is up, ring them and say your cancelling for a better competitor’s offer, usually they’ll match it or give you x months half price which over the course of a year contract works out better.

If you can buy your phone outright there’s really good android phones that pair well with a 30 day contract or pay as you go (depending on your needs) you can get Spotify or sports channels (If you like these) included that gives you one less bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Get a Revolut card for any foreign currency transactions/exchange. It gives you the live exchange rate and no fees charged

Already mentioned above.. apologies missed the post

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Uboat

Last year had stopped buying lotto tickets for every draw. Instead have bought a piggy bank and now almost every 1 and 2 euro coin is in it. The piggy bank saves me 100 euro every month. I used to buy 2 lines with plus for every Lotto and Euromillions.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

Do the bulk of grocery shopping in ALDI or Lidl.

Use supermarket spend and save coupons that come in the post. Stock up on dry / tinned / household staples that you will definitely use to bring you up to the spend limit if necessary. However you have to be clever with this and only buy goods that are the same price as or cheaper than the German chains as you aren’t really saving if buying something for a Euro that would cost 50 cent in ALDI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Buy a packet of salad leaf seeds. Cultivate a small area of the garden to grow these and you will have free salad leaves from May to September. French beans are another easy crop to grow.

If you drive, there are plenty of free on street parking places where you can park your car. Even at weekends you can get very close to St. Stephen's Green area and free parking. Find out if your local supermarket offers free parking if you shop there. They will stamp your parking ticket.

When going on holidays abroad, many hotels have loyalty discounts such as Melia.com, Accor Hotels, NH Hotels, Barcelo etc Some such as Melia offer you an upfront discount immediately. Others you accumulate points to be used later.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

I meal plan. I check the veg / meat on offer in the local supermarkets and plan meals around those for the week. I also try to come up with meals that use up the veg I am buying. Another option is to batch cook and freeze in portions to use up the produce bought. Making soup for lunches can also be a handy way to use up excess veg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Great Thread idea.

Going to follow this as want to reduce our family/household spending. We want to move house within the next 2/3 years so need to increase our Savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 dublin112321

Another thing- buying all shampoo/ shower gel in Dealz.
    Using sites like Quidco to get cashback when buying online.
    Buying refurbished phones from Pigsback (working fine)
    Buying items on Aliexpress- save a FORTUNE if you don't mind waiting for the item to arrive. Read reviews before you buy the item.
    Sites like Studentbeans have good student discounts and don't seem to be overly strict on who joins- don't require a student number. These sites have good discounts like 10% off on Hotels.com
    Being organised/ thinking ahead- if passing through the airport The Loop (Dublin) usually have 10 euro off every 100 spent online in advance. Can be good to pick up presents etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭whampiri

Don't be fooled by adds that suggest that by buying an item thelat you'll save money. E.g buy this car and save 10,000.

It's a misnomer. You still end up spending money. Only buy items you need rather than want.

Go to the cinema mid week (Tues and Thurs), when the tickets are cheaper.

If you need a work shirt, buy a good quality one from M&S in their sale. It'll cost twice that if a Penny's one but will last 3 times longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭rpurfield

whampiri wrote: »
    Don't be fooled by adds that suggest that by buying an item thelat you'll save money. E.g buy this car and save 10,000.

It's a misnomer. You still end up spending money. Only buy items you need rather than want.

Go to the cinema mid week (Tues and Thurs), when the tickets are cheaper.

If you need a work shirt, buy a good quality one from M&S in their sale. It'll cost twice that if a Penny's one but will last 3 times longer.

This is a great one. Sometimes you are better off paying more initially to get longer out of something. I splashed on a pair of Clarks shoes over two years ago for work and they are still holding up. I'd gone thru a phase of buying cheaper ones "sure they're only" for work, and getting six months out of them before the holes came in the soles.

If your house and car insurance is up shop around. Even if your existing provider is the cheapest tell them you've got a price of €50-€80 cheaper elsewhere and they'll go close to matching it to keep you.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭whampiri

Cancel magazine subscriptions you don't use anymore. If you do read magazines, then take out a subscription. They're far cheaper to pick up direct than through local stores (only if you're going to read them)

Walk rather than take transport to work and you can lose the gym membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Track your spending. Easier to save money if you know where it's going - those coffees, snacks, etc. can end up adding up. I use ClearCheckbook.

Groupon, Pigsback, TheTaste.ie and First Table can be good for breaks / restaurants.

As said, Revolut card can help you get the best exchange rate when shopping on UK sites.

Make a groceries list and compare prices between different stores. Also make note of good sale prices for groceries.

Generic brands can be a fraction of the cost and taste / be the same in many cases.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

On credit cards, you can avoid all bank transaction charges by using your credit card as a debit card, if you have money on ur credit card there is no charge for using it, including withdrawing cash from an ATM, unlike debit cards.
    It takes discipline and time to get used to

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭steinbock123

On the subject of shoes, buy a really good pair of all leather shoes. Wear them for 3 or 4 weeks, then take them to a cobbler and get him to glue rubber soles and heels over the existing leather. When a hole comes in the rubber, bring them back and get them covered again. If you do this, you never wear out the original sole, so the shoe never loses it's integrity. I still wear shoes that I have for over 20 years. They are Loakes so quite expensive initially ,but actually work out cheaper over time doing this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

On the subject of shoes, buy a really good pair of all leather shoes. Wear them for 3 or 4 weeks, then take them to a cobbler and get him to glue rubber soles and heels over the existing leather. When a hole comes in the rubber, bring them back and get them covered again. If you do this, you never wear out the original sole, so the shoe never loses it's integrity. I still wear shoes that I have for over 20 years. They are Loakes so quite expensive initially ,but actually work out cheaper over time doing this.

Do these become platforms then?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Green&Red wrote: »
    On credit cards, you can avoid all bank transaction charges by using your credit card as a debit card, if you have money on ur credit card there is no charge for using it, including withdrawing cash from an ATM, unlike debit cards.
    It takes discipline and time to get used to

What is the point of doing this? It offers none of the protection of a credit card which is the best reason to have one in the first place. If you want to avoid bank fees just open an account that offers free banking.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

What is the point of doing this? It offers none of the protection of a credit card which is the best reason to have one in the first place. If you want to avoid bank fees just open an account that offers free banking.

Which account provides transaction free banking? In particular withdrawing cash from an ATM for free?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

A mantra our parents drilled into us was.... "buy only what you really need, not what you think you'd like or want" Served us all well.

We are not tightwads either, spend when necessary and generously too, have good holliers and so on, but we have never been taken in by what appears to be a "bargain". It ain't a bargain if you don't really need it.

So the house is free (kind of) of clutter, and the bank balance is healthy and building.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭White Clover

Would people here be interested in buying beef and lamb butchered and packed direct from farmers.Ie half a carcass of beef (100 - 120kg) or maybe a full lamb (25kg)? It would freeze fine for up to 12 months.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Green&Red wrote: »
    Which account provides transaction free banking? In particular withdrawing cash from an ATM for free?

Just off the top of my head KBC, EBS and N26. EBS has no strings attached. KBC requires you to have 2500 deposited into the account every month. However, this 2500 a month does not have to be in one lump sum so if your wages are less than 2500 a month just transfer between your current account and another account (you can set up a KBC savings account for this) over and back until you hit 2500.

There are plenty of accounts that offer free banking to students, graduates and the elderly. There are a few other accounts which require things like minimum balances or something like that for no fees but I don't know any of them off the top of my head. Regardless, it's very easy to get free free banking nowadays so no one should be paying banking fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Peckham

If you're a homeowner make sure that you're on the best mortgage. Firstly, keep an eye on your loan to value ratio (current mortgage balance divided by current property value). Then look around at rates for that loan to value ratio.

You may not even need to switch mortgage lender.

Over past two years we've cut our mortgage payments by 3 grand a year without switching lender. Simply by the price of our house going up as our mortgage balance decreased.

They're are great fixed rate deals out there if you can take advantage of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭jesso22

When shopping, i go straight to the 'reduced' section and plan my meals from there. Esp the veg, usually last way longer than the date on it. A lot of people plan meals for the week, but it never works for me as some days i'm too tired to cook, don't have time, or just don't feel like eating what i'd planned. So it ends up going off and in the bin. No self-discipline here!
    As mentioned, i have a weekly dd straight to the credit union, so I don't even miss it. Also have €5 work takes out of my wages each week before i even get paid, which is a nice bonus come Christmas time.
    Great idea for a thread. New years resolution to be more frugal!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Just off the top of my head KBC, EBS and N26. EBS has no strings attached. KBC requires you to have 2500 deposited into the account every month. However, this 2500 a month does not have to be in one lump sum so if your wages are less than 2500 a month just transfer between your current account and another account (you can set up a KBC savings account for this) over and back until you hit 2500.

There are plenty of accounts that offer free banking to students, graduates and the elderly. There are a few other accounts which require things like minimum balances or something like that for no fees but I don't know any of them off the top of my head. Regardless, it's very easy to get free free banking nowadays so no one should be paying banking fees.
    AIB is fee free if you keep a balance over €2,500 for a quarter (which is a bit dickish imo), you also qualify if you have a mortgage with them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

whampiri wrote: »

Yes! People at my last job looked at me like I had two heads when I said I got my work clothes from somewhere besides Pennys. To me, it makes far more sense to not be wearing ill fitting clothes that will lose their shape and have loose threads and buttons popping off after a few washes, especially when they are worn frequently and for long stretches. Penny's stuff is especially naff for men, but some don't see it. Total false economy.

Advertisement