Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why live frugally??

• 23-01-2014 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Just a quick thread to gauge why people have chosen the frugal lifestyle??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I thought we were frugal enough before but along came unemployment, recession, rising costs, income will not cover basic running expenses for the family and home. Before the recession we were just about ticking over nicely then WHAM!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Because it allows me to spend cash completely non-frugally on other stuff rather than blowing it away on [other] things its not needed on.

Can have a lot more fun if you're not wasting cash needlessly on food/power/etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Because I grew up in the 70s and think in terms of how we use the planet.... because I'd rather spend my (limited) resources on stuff that I enjoy, not stuff (I have enough of that)... because my resources got a lot more limited in recent years... because I don't see why I should make others richer... because my life is not about material wealth or accumulation of goods... because I like making/creating/growing...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

most people do it because their parents did it,then when celtic tiger came everything changed,
    then it got hit again so people stopped spending,and now they are back spending

Because I grew up in the 70s and think in terms of how we use the planet.... because I'd rather spend my (limited) resources on stuff that I enjoy, not stuff (I have enough of that)... because my resources got a lot more limited in recent years... because I don't see why I should make others richer... because my life is not about material wealth or accumulation of goods... because I like making/creating/growing...

Well said. Me too Julius. I won't part with a penny unless I really have to. They say Irish people don't complain in shops or take faulty goods back, well they haven't met me then, and I notice more people are demanding better service too! :) Pity we couldn't take the politicians back when they prove faulty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

My grandmother is very frugal because that is the way she was brought up - nothing ever went to waste, everything was used and reused and re-purposed until it had no life left in it. She has continued this and has some great tips for reusing things or using them for something other than they were meant for. She also will spend a fortune on something that is good quality and will last for years rather than the false economy of buying something cheap and having to replace it in a few months or a year or two. For that reason she has curtains that are older than I am and they still look good :pac: And for this reason and the fact that she has plenty of money to spend on the things that matter - I am trying to be the same. That and being more environmentally friendly, less waste, less chemicals for cleaning where something like vinegar/cornflour will do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭SurferRosa

I have just started a leave of absence from work, to stay at home with my 3 young kids, so we really need to cut down our costs, now that we're on one salary.
    I noticed that our grocery shopping and eating out tends to go out of control quite easily, so I'm pretty much cutting out eating out, and will focus on keeping our grocery bills as low as possible.
    I also want to make my own cleaners, still need to source a large bottle of vinegar to get started!
    I actually find all this fun in a strange way, though if I'm approached by "Extreme Cheapskates", I'll know I'll have taken it a bit too far!

SurferRosa wrote: »
    ......I also want to make my own cleaners, still need to source a large bottle of vinegar to get started!

I mentioned in another post somewhere that I bought a 5 ltr bottle of vinegar in BuyLo but I don't think they have a branch in your area. If you know someone in catering, or someone with an account at a wholesalers they might be able to help you out with your vinegar search.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭SurferRosa

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I mentioned in another post somewhere that I bought a 5 ltr bottle of vinegar in BuyLo but I don't think they have a branch in your area. If you know someone in catering, or someone with an account at a wholesalers they might be able to help you out with your vinegar search.
    Thanks, think I read that post and looked up BuyLo. Mullingar is a bit of a trek though, and I don't know anyone in catering.
    I heard the Asian shops sell large bottles of vinegar, so I'm going to see if there's one in Navan and take a look there...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Guys, wasn't sure where to put this or whether to start a new thread (so forgive me or feel free to move or block!), but I read this article the other day about Westerners choosing not to use toilet paper. I know it's quite common in parts of Asia but it got me thinking about whether I could give up using toilet paper as part of a more frugal lifestyle. I honestly don't think I could. I think it's important not to be excessive and try be frugal where possible, but not so sure about this one. Has anyone tried this or what do people think?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2547585/Could-YOU-live-without-toilet-paper-Meet-women-choose-wipe-reusable-piece-cloth-instead.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Pang wrote: »
    Guys, wasn't sure where to put this or whether to start a new thread (so forgive me or feel free to move or block!), but I read this article the other day about Westerners choosing not to use toilet paper. I know it's quite common in parts of Asia but it got me thinking about whether I could give up using toilet paper as part of a more frugal lifestyle. I honestly don't think I could. I think it's important not to be excessive and try be frugal where possible, but not so sure about this one. Has anyone tried this or what do people think?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2547585/Could-YOU-live-without-toilet-paper-Meet-women-choose-wipe-reusable-piece-cloth-instead.html

For some reason that links me to the rte website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Me too!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Imminent water charges and the cost of heating water with energy costs here vs. the cost of a 48 pack of toilet roll in a discounter.... I can take a guess which one comes out cheaper.

Like a lot of the stuff on "superscrimpers" or similar, something that works out significantly dearer gets claimed as cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Omg sorry about the link everyone. Don't know how that happened. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I am frugal not poor. I live with little, just what's necessary, not tied down to material things.
    Why? So I can have more free time to do what I like. Freedom is having time to live. Living frugally is a philosophy of life but I am not poor.
    José Muijica, President of Uruguay

There's a lesson there for all politicians!! Remember when some of our politician's used to cycle into the Dail of a morning. Do they still do that? Maybe Michael D should invite El Presidente for a holiday at the Aras.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Try some of the ethnic food shops they often do large sizes of various stuff. I got a gallon in the Ashbourne BuyLo a couple of years ago but they closed down. I used to use it in a spray for cleaning lime deposit on sinks/taps and in vases. I know Musgraves wholesalers do it but I don't know anyone with access to them. Think some of the Euro shops are doing it in a spray bottle for about e1.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

SurferRosa wrote: »
    I also want to make my own cleaners, still need to source a large bottle of vinegar to get started!
    Tesco had 2L bottles of value malt vinegar before, it was sold off really cheap and then out of stock in my local one.

Many chippers will buy in acetic acid at stronger % and dilute down to eating strength vinegar. This might be better for your cleaning purposes. The Italian irish chipper association site has sponsors, many who are suppliers to chippers.

Acetic acid is also used in developing photos, non-food grade acetic acid might be a fair bit cheaper too.
    I could give up using toilet paper as part of a more frugal lifestyle.
    They found that the reusable cloth system saved them a significant amount of money; when Angela's family was using coupons to buy toilet paper, they spent about $136 a year.
    But the total cost of material, washing, detergent and water amounted to just $42 a year.
    Not a huge saving, I expect they could have simply sourced cheaper toilet paper. They do not include labour in the cost. They also go on about the environment but then make no mention of all the environmental factors involved in the washing process. I often see costs omitted on many tv programs about saving money, like not including electricity costs when cooking vs takeaway food -in this case no mention of all the air freshener they probably need!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

I suppose most of the bidets that people installed in the 80's have been removed again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Strange this question is even being asked. Because lots of people are broke OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭lollsangel

In asia they dont use toilet paper, they however DO wash instead. Here they use a sort of long handled jug, back home there is a hose attached to the toiet....frankly a reusable cloth sounds disgusting

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Jeremyr

maringo wrote: »
    Try some of the ethnic food shops they often do large sizes of various stuff. I got a gallon in the Ashbourne BuyLo a couple of years ago but they closed down. I used to use it in a spray for cleaning lime deposit on sinks/taps and in vases. I know Musgraves wholesalers do it but I don't know anyone with access to them. Think some of the Euro shops are doing it in a spray bottle for about e1.

x2

I visit the one of Capel street every week, great food and i'm saving a fortune :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭kyeev

L1011 wrote: »
    Because it allows me to spend cash completely non-frugally on other stuff rather than blowing it away on [other] things its not needed on.

Can have a lot more fun if you're not wasting cash needlessly on food/power/etc.

Exactly.
    We shop in Aldi.
    Don't smoke, drink in pubs or gamble.
    Never go to expensive restaurants.
    Don't have a landline/broadband, or pay TV.
    Bring lunch to work.
    Move our electricity/oil/car/house-insurance provider around every year.
    Continually check the second hand shops for quality clothes/furniture/books/toys.
    Run one 5 year old car and put up with that inconvenience.

But then we go on three foreign holidays a year!
    All our friends go how can they afford that? That's how.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

When my son was younger I used cloth nappies and after a few months switched to using fleece cloths and water instead of packs of baby wipes as I found it more convenient. The thing that was startling though, was that he got sooooo much cleaner with fleece and water. Wipes just wiped him sort of clean, whereas wet cloths actually give him a mini wash down. It has made me think about how disgusting just using toilet paper is, it doesn't really get you clean at all. I'm not sure if I'll ever make the leap to change and if I did it wouldn't be to save money but because it's significantly cleaner.

From an environmental level it would be much, much better. The manufacture of the toilet paper is a lot more energy consumptive than a go of a modern washing machine even at 60c. And that's not counting the energy used in the transport and waste disposal of the toilet paper. I can't get my head around how disgusting it "seems" but in reality it would be much cleaner than what we are used to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 422 ✭✭LeeLooLee

kyeev wrote: »
    Exactly.
    We shop in Aldi.
    Bring lunch to work.
    Continually check the second hand shops for quality clothes/furniture/books/toys.

I can't get over how much other people waste on everyday living. They ask me how I can afford to travel when I earn so little, but they don't seem to get that drinking and eating out costs an astronomical amount of money. A holiday in Japan sounds extravagant, but when I went, I found bargain flights for under 500 euro return. That sounds like a lot of money, but most Irish people I know wouldn't think twice about spending 60 euro in the pub every single weekend - that's 240 euro a month. A mixed drink sets you back the best part of a tenner! Going for a meal in a nice restaurant is going to be pushing 100 euro if you order wine. Buying a lunch in a deli every day is at least 5 euro, which is over 100 euro a month. By simply staying in for a month and bringing their lunch to work they could have nearly the cost of the return flights. Another month or two and they'd have a decent amount of spending money to take. I totally understand that other people would rather enjoy their everyday life rather than sacrifice 2-3 months to save for a trip, but I hate when people begrudge me my holidays!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

I save every cent I can coz after 15 years of renting I so want my own place have enough of house shares. im frugal with day to day stuff just so I can still have a few things in my life such as a good holiday while continuing to save

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭bored_newbie

kyeev wrote: »
    Exactly.
    We shop in Aldi.
    Bring lunch to work.

All of that seems doable except I'd struggle without broadband and the occasional pint (albeit very occasional these days).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,649 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I'd be frugal because I get a satisfaction seeing money in my savings rise - which I can then use to go travelling and make memories.

Tbh I think I would panic if I just used my atm card over and over again until the money was gone. I like setting my self a budget and plan at the beginning of the month and trying to stick to it as best I can.

• Advertisement

I used to enjoy watching our savings rack up. However, our savings are now dwindling am I am not enjoying the numbers drop every month, so frugality is a major part of daily life now. :( Being frugal is easy when you don't have the dosh, but if you have the dosh and just want to be frugal, it might tend to be harder then 'cos y'want, and want, and want whereas frugality is about just what you need.

Advertisement