Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

explain please

Options
  • 13-04-2004 10:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭

I posted what I hoped to be a discussion about media handling of a story about a soccer player.

I read the charter and as far as I could tell I was doing no wrong.

Perhaps flogen could explain ? I'm puzzled and a little disappointed.

I'm still interested in a discussion about the quality of journalism in general and how our media organizations are missing an important angle that should be explored.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

No soccer related discussion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

I'm not interested in a discussion about soccer - I was trying to engage in a discussion about sports journalism.

flogen's loss , not mine, I'll take my opinions elsewhere :ninja:

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

Originally posted by ecksor
    No soccer related discussion!

While I can understand why you might want to shut down the soccer forum etc, I think it is a bit of a dictatorship thing to do to tell people what they can or cannot discuss.
    A large part of news/media is based on sports. One of the main reasons I buy newspapers everyday is for the sport as well as the news - part of this sport is soccer.
    And also I'm presuming he wanted to discuss the Keane issue. Surely this comes under news/media as it will be on the front of all the papers tomorrow and about 5 pages inside and the back. Plus the 6.01 news decided it was important enough to be its lead story...

Originally posted by NightStrike
    While I can understand why you might want to shut down the soccer forum etc, I think it is a bit of a dictatorship thing to do to tell people what they can or cannot discuss.

That's correct!

And how can you justify this? I mean I don't know who runs boards.ie (obviously you have a role) but are you saying I can't even come here and say something like "I can't believe RTE had the Keane thing as their lead story, so much more important things in the world" which is an opinion i do hold!

• Advertisement

I've tried again - in the sports forum. Perhaps it's better suited there.

I have no real interest in discussing the Keane issue - there's far better places for it elsewhere and the moderation of the discussion is sufficent to keep te muppets out.

Dictatorship is too strong a word - I certainly wouldn't go that far.
    [ I can think of a few others but I'm not playing that game. ]

Still. Would be interested to read some discussion about the quality of sports journalism.

I recall one of the journalists in our national 'papers being at college same time as myself (long time ago). I thought he was pretty articulate if a little lacking in sports experience or knowledge. Can't say my opinion has changed much. Not being involved in the media I'm at a loss to understand how he managed to get where he is today. Is there really a dearth of quality sports journalism in the country ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm with shabbyroad on this one. Its news therefore we should be free to discuss it. Don't blame flogen though - the ban has been handed down from upon high...

This facist groove thing is getting right out of control!

Mike.

Originally posted by NightStrike
    And how can you justify this?

It is my policy at this time to maintain absolute solidarity with the moderators of the Soccer forum even in borderline cases such as this one which comes at the expense of what was certainly an interesting topic.

It's actually the only Keane related post today that I binned rather than deleted. That was to leave open the possibility of moving it back here if circumstances happen to change.
    I mean I don't know who runs boards.ie (obviously you have a role)

Cloud, DeVore, ecksor, Regi, Vexorg.
    but are you saying I can't even come here and say something like "I can't believe RTE had the Keane thing as their lead story, so much more important things in the world" which is an opinion i do hold!

As long as the Soccer forum is closed, yes.

Fair enough about the soccer forum, you have to keep solidarity but I don't like the way its become so important all of a sudden to be on the front/back/middle of every paper and be the lead on all the news programmes.

That Posh and Becks thing is blown way out of proportion too. So he had an affair, he won't be the last!

shabbyroad I think that the only way it can improve in this country is with proper coverage of the eircom league. Most of the writers we read are English. Thats grand but I think if we're going to get good at something we need to start at the grassroots. I think if every paper did good eircom league coverage it wouldn't be worth covering it seriously but because no one really seems to be its quite lucrative imo and could bring in about 20,000 extra readers imo!

My unreserved apologies to flogen - I mistakenly assumed that the post was deleted/moved by him/her.

Ecksor I don't think you've not done a very good job here.

The muppets have won the day. Well done... though they did need the help of the mods to do it !

Can't say I understand why the soccer forum had to be closed - I enjoyed reading it. There's much worse muppetry on other forums. Then again I suppose bias will rear it's ugly head now and again. I imagine that similar behaviour on other forums would have resulted in bannings and moderation rather than the lump hammer approach we've seen here.

I won't bother continuing the discussion - I've better things to do.

see ya !

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Originally posted by shabbyroad
    Ecksor I don't think you've not done a very good job here.

Clearly a freudian slip ;)

:D wouldn't be so sure about that :p

Seriously though - it's a bad day when sh1tehawks and muppets ruin it for the rest of us.

now... really... I must go .... there's a semi-naked person calling me..... (and it's not Roy Keane, Brian Kerr, Eamon Dunphy or Alex Ferguson for that matter !)

<ugh..... sorry about the mental picture lads...>

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

erm, no worries shabby....
    (what did your post say btw?)

Flogen

it said "down with flogen"... nah just kidding.

I was having a go at sports journalism in general...

it was here

but has been locked.

never mind - it's not exactly a discussion on 'War & Peace' (though to look at boards in the last 24 hours you'd think it was !)

:-)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I understand your frustration. I share your opinion (infact ironically I've just posted something akin to it on the Please dont close the soccer forum thread) but right now we want people to realise that if it werent for a lot of work by the admins and mods NOTHING would be discussable. You wouldnt have a platform to discuss it.

This will all blow over when the soccer forum reopens under new management arrangements. Until then please bear with us.

Isnt it amazing that when something becomes SO vital and so central to peoples online experience (as Boards clearly has) people just slip into presuming its a *right* and dont even think what it would be like if it werent for the work of a few others. That kinda both pleases me (because I see this site as critical to open discussion) and p|sses me off because I hate the mods and admins being taken for granted and pricked around.

DeV.

Can I just say Dev that you've been great throughout all of this. You've come out numerous times and said ok this is the deal and thats great. I appreciate that and also the work of the other admins/mods involved.
    Isnt it amazing that when something becomes SO vital and so central to peoples online experience (as Boards clearly has) people just slip into presuming its a *right* and dont even think what it would be like if it werent for the work of a few others. That kinda both pleases me (because I see this site as critical to open discussion) and p|sses me off because I hate the mods and admins being taken for granted and pricked around.

I don't think people should see it as a right or take the mods/admins for granted but I can understand why people miss it so much too. For a lot of people it was a good way of passing a half hour or more each day while bored at home/work/college/whatever.

Advertisement