Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where to draw the line...

Options
  • 02-04-2004 6:15pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Its probably one of the bigger issues in media ethics, and will always be a part of reporting etc.
    How far is too far when it comes to media intrusion?
    For this, lets make a hypothethical situation.
    A man is suspected of grooming children for sex, however there is no hard evidence to back up the claim, and so he is untouchable by police and reports suggesting any link would be liablous.
    Would it be right for a reporter to, for example hack into the persons computer or even search their belongings (such as bins, or even house) without their knowledge?

Currently, any proof obtained through such means would not stand up in court. but without that evidence the person can continue to commit the crime.

is it better to expose the person, even if it is illegally? or to wait for the person to possibly offend before anything is done??

also keep in mind the fact that the law cannot be changed for circumstance, any change in the law would apply to innocent civilians too, and so your privacy could be invaded through one of the above methods.

Flogen

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

Tricky one this. I would say that if a journalist has to use those means to get a paedophile off the streets well then it's justified although I can't see the Gardai not being able to get search warrants or whatever for a suspected paedophile. From watching the BBC programmes over last two weeks about the child protection unit, a suspicion is all that is needed to arrest someone and search their premises.

But, on the other hand. A wrongful allegation published in the media would have a devastating impact on a person especially in the case of paedophelia.

There is a specific case I'm thinking of where I live. He was the headmaster of a local school. He had some minot sexual assault offence (I don't know what consitutes a "minor sexual assault") going way back to his youth I think and the local paper dragged it up and posted it front page.

Needless to say it absolutely devastated him and his family even though there was no allegation of paedophelia against him. The man was/is ruined and for what? Dragging up a past misdemeanour from his youth and tying this into his position as a headmaster. Gutter journalism if you ask me. A friend of friend knew the guy and said he was on the verge of suicide...

We certainly don't want to go down the road of the "Patriot act" in the United States where you can be hauled off to the police station for merely looking at a Saudi Arabian news site in a public library which happened not that long ago.

Interested to hear other views on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Re: Media intrusion ?...

I would use a different name i.e. "Investigative Journalism".

Investigative Journalism has been responsible for exposing very many of societies ills. Including social injustice in all its forms. One example that springs to mind is the wonderful courageous work of The Sunday Times Insight Teams exposure of the way Catholics were being abused and denied their civil rights in Northern Ireland. At a time when the troubles had only started and even our own Irish media was not printing the truth.

I am pleased that team of media journalists did not "Draw the line " and back off, even though their reports were not believed by many British establishment figures ?...

P. :ninja:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

it is true that investigative journalism plays a key role in uncovering societies ills, and god knows that Ireland has alot of them. it is also sad to note that interest in such forms of journalism is in decline (i would assume it is somewhat to do with the fate of Veronica Guerien).
    However, there is still a line to be drawn to some degree, especially when wrongly exposing someone of a crime is a factor. I think that if you take the leap as an investigative journalist, more power to you, and good luck, however you MUST cover all bases and research your stories as solidly as possible. To make a mistake in reporting news is bad, it could look stupid, it might lead to a case against you. To do it in investigative journalism could end your career, and that of the accused, as well as costing you thousands in court charges and the like.

Now Im sure we call all agree that certain forms of intrusion are morally unacceptable, whatever the law states (such as harrassing families of murder victims or something along those lines).
    Where the issue becomes blurry, though, is how far a journalist should go with investigating a story. Would you agree that he or she should go as far as possible until the accusation is proven/disproven, once they do not publically report unsupported 'gossip' (which it would be), or should they only go so far in investigating before they hold back? Perhaps in the hypothetical situation, a journalist that gets too deep into the story may give people info (such as they tell someone theyre investigating the rumour that Mr. X is a paedophile) and so blacken the persons name (perhaps wrongly) without actually printing anything. The damage could still be done this way too

Flogen

Obviously, The Line must be decided by the individual journalists conscience, if he/she has one.

In the world of the Media/News everything is now moving so fast that mistakes happen just because one News outlet wants too have the jump on everyone else. The competition is unbelievable. Particularly in Warzones where many journalists burn out very quickly under the stress and the blatant lies they are supposed to report as true. Many quit and leave willingly, while others unfortunately are carried out in bodybags. Others are never found.

We have good decent honest media and we have sensationalist mucksheets full of lies and total rubbish designed too appeal to the lowest common denominator of readers. Strange how these comics /newspapers seem to have the largest circulation. What is that telling us about our average citizens , who buy these worthless rags ?.... :confused:

I suppose in the end. Each individual citizen pays his/her money and makes their choice. Thereby influencing the type of Media/News obtainable.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

well thats the thing, how far is too far when in search of an exclusive??

and where would YOU draw the line in such a pursuit?

Sadly we do have sensational rags, and sadly they sell quite well (however The Independent has the largest daily circulation, unless thats what you were referring to).

oh and just as a matter of interest (and Im not trying to be a smart ass), exactly how many Journalists have gone 'MIA' during war reporting?

Flogen

• Advertisement

flogen,

Re your question; " Exactly how many Journalists have gone 'MIA' during war reporting ? ".

Now, that is what I call a question :eek: .

Anyway, in the time I have had available so far today. I typed in the following question too Google:- " War correspondents, missing since World War One ?... ". In an instant it threw up 10 major links on this subject, out of about 63,400 other links too look up {Gulp}. Frightening prospect Eh, but it is obviously a well documented reality. As for "Exactly how many ? " well thats going to take some time too answer, maybe if you get the time type in too Google my question and have a look for yourself. It will certainly bring home the magnitude of the amount of possible research associated with coming up with a reasonably accurate and up too date figure.

Re: " Where would I draw the line? ". Another extremely difficult question. It would really depend on the story and my humanatarian beliefs. If I considered that I might be able too save the lives of innocents by following up a particular line of enquiry that could put my life at risk. Then I would still go for the story and the exposure of the truth. No line could or would exist where real evil had too be confronted.

Re: Newspaper circulation/popularity. You state "The Independent" has the largest circulation. That answer poses a problem as you are referring to a Newspaper that circulates mainly in Ireland. Whereas I previously stated on this forum that we should not imo restrict our News/Media too Irish targetted News/Media types or outlets. Therefore, I could not agree that "The Independent" has the largest circulation in {for instance} the UK & Ireland. Where I think the largest circulation Newspaper is The People afaik, but I will have too look up BRAD i.e. the British Rates and Data monthly guide that is used by the advertising world for establishing the true readership types, numbers and social categories. So please bear with me on this one if you consider my point as valid.

I will be back ;) .

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by Paddy20
    Obviously, The Line must be decided by the individual journalists conscience, if he/she has one.

Obviously, the line must be drawn by the Editor or Director of any media outlet, or - if they have any in place - by media outlet’s editorial guidelines.

Advertisement