Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
29-04-2018, 15:19   #1
sandydan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,470
Insert for worn eye in housing in MF 300 series

is it possible to get an insert for the worn eye where power steering track end ,fits into 4 wd axle in 399.
it was available in UK, or can it be built up with weld .Thanks,
sandydan is offline  
Advertisement
29-04-2018, 17:38   #2
emaherx
Registered User
 
emaherx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandydan View Post
is it possible to get an insert for the worn eye where power steering track end ,fits into 4 wd axle in 399.
it was available in UK, or can it be built up with weld .Thanks,
https://www.johnconaty.com/MFTR3022-p/10541.htm
emaherx is offline  
29-04-2018, 19:49   #3
mad-for-tar
Registered User
 
mad-for-tar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by emaherx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandydan View Post
is it possible to get an insert for the worn eye where power steering track end ,fits into 4 wd axle in 399.
it was available in UK, or can it be built up with weld .Thanks,
https://www.johnconaty.com/MFTR3022-p/10541.htm
That’s the one alright. Had one in the workshop last year with same problem, removed the hub assembly and took it to a machine shop to have the arm machined out to take the insert. Worked well afterwards.
Not sure you’ll get a way to drill/machine it out with hub still on the axle, could be tricky.
mad-for-tar is offline  
29-04-2018, 19:54   #4
emaherx
Registered User
 
emaherx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad-for-tar View Post
That’s the one alright. Had one in the workshop last year with same problem, removed the hub assembly and took it to a machine shop to have the arm machined out to take the insert. Worked well afterwards.
Not sure you’ll get a way to drill/machine it out with hub still on the axle, could be tricky.
Did ours with mag drill and steal bracket clamped to axel. No need to remove hub assembly.
emaherx is offline  
Thanks from:
01-05-2018, 12:11   #5
sandydan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,470
Thanks for that , did you weld in bushing
sandydan is offline  
Advertisement
01-05-2018, 12:30   #6
emaherx
Registered User
 
emaherx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandydan View Post
Thanks for that , did you weld in bushing
No, did it about 8 years ago drilled hole so it was very snug fit and froze bush to help fitting. But notice issue is comming back into mine now. I've just gotten replacement bush myself now but may need to weld this time. Won't know till I disassemble.
emaherx is offline  
Thanks from:
09-05-2018, 10:38   #7
emaherx
Registered User
 
emaherx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by emaherx View Post
No, did it about 8 years ago drilled hole so it was very snug fit and froze bush to help fitting. But notice issue is comming back into mine now. I've just gotten replacement bush myself now but may need to weld this time. Won't know till I disassemble.
Just an update. Replaced the bush on Monday.
Managed to cut a slot in it with hacksaw and tap it out, installed new one and it is 100% again.

Going to advise against welding in new bush. Metal is softer in the bush and you will need to replace it again at some point in the future.
emaherx is offline  
19-11-2019, 19:16   #8
sandydan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,470
i finally got round to bushing the steering , took off both hubs, boy was it tough , i recon it was first day track ends were still on and they were wedged solid, anyways i took hub to engineering firm who drilled and bushed the power steering ram end , i was unable to buy bushing so they made one .. they made up a few spacers for me as well cost e180 , track rod and power steering ends not included . changed truss bearings and U J s as well. another e250 .
sandydan is offline  
Thanks from:
19-11-2019, 19:46   #9
emaherx
Registered User
 
emaherx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandydan View Post
i finally got round to bushing the steering , took off both hubs, boy was it tough , i recon it was first day track ends were still on and they were wedged solid, anyways i took hub to engineering firm who drilled and bushed the power steering ram end , i was unable to buy bushing so they made one .. they made up a few spacers for me as well cost e180 , track rod and power steering ends not included . changed truss bearings and U J s as well. another e250 .
Sure it only took you 2 years.
Taking them axels apart is challenging alright, (you need the big swear jar), did you have much issue pulling the steering pivot pins? Was there much wear there?
emaherx is offline  
Advertisement
21-11-2019, 06:44   #10
sandydan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by emaherx View Post
Sure it only took you 2 years.
Taking them axels apart is challenging alright, (you need the big swear jar), did you have much issue pulling the steering pivot pins? Was there much wear there?
no major bother, just used a 4inch pipe with a slot cut out to allow a 2 inch x 1 inch bar with 3 x 3/4 inch holes drilled in it to be pulled using 3/4 inch threaded bars with a similar piece on top . was going to use a 3 ton bottle jack but didnt as threaded bars i had were short . i used a 12 mmm 10.9 steel bolt screwwed into pivot pins ,,.. the track rod ends were the worst .. had to get a special tool to split them plus hammer..
sandydan is offline  
Thanks from:
21-11-2019, 21:34   #11
sandydan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,470
pipe needs to be wide enough to allow truss bearing come out undamaged as pivot pins are removed , i forgot to add price of U J s to list. its the inner 1 each side needed replacing and boy were they tough to remove
sandydan is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet