Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Insert for worn eye in housing in MF 300 series

• 29-04-2018 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭

is it possible to get an insert for the worn eye where power steering track end ,fits into 4 wd axle in 399.
    it was available in UK, or can it be built up with weld .Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,957 ✭✭✭emaherx

sandydan wrote: »
    is it possible to get an insert for the worn eye where power steering track end ,fits into 4 wd axle in 399.

https://www.johnconaty.com/MFTR3022-p/10541.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mad-for-tar

emaherx wrote: »

https://www.johnconaty.com/MFTR3022-p/10541.htm

That’s the one alright. Had one in the workshop last year with same problem, removed the hub assembly and took it to a machine shop to have the arm machined out to take the insert. Worked well afterwards.
    Not sure you’ll get a way to drill/machine it out with hub still on the axle, could be tricky.

That’s the one alright. Had one in the workshop last year with same problem, removed the hub assembly and took it to a machine shop to have the arm machined out to take the insert. Worked well afterwards.
    Not sure you’ll get a way to drill/machine it out with hub still on the axle, could be tricky.

Did ours with mag drill and steal bracket clamped to axel. No need to remove hub assembly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

Thanks for that , did you weld in bushing

Thanks for that , did you weld in bushing

No, did it about 8 years ago drilled hole so it was very snug fit and froze bush to help fitting. But notice issue is comming back into mine now. I've just gotten replacement bush myself now but may need to weld this time. Won't know till I disassemble.

• Advertisement

No, did it about 8 years ago drilled hole so it was very snug fit and froze bush to help fitting. But notice issue is comming back into mine now. I've just gotten replacement bush myself now but may need to weld this time. Won't know till I disassemble.

Just an update. Replaced the bush on Monday.
    Managed to cut a slot in it with hacksaw and tap it out, installed new one and it is 100% again.

Going to advise against welding in new bush. Metal is softer in the bush and you will need to replace it again at some point in the future.

i finally got round to bushing the steering , took off both hubs, boy was it tough , i recon it was first day track ends were still on and they were wedged solid, anyways i took hub to engineering firm who drilled and bushed the power steering ram end , i was unable to buy bushing so they made one .. they made up a few spacers for me as well cost e180 , track rod and power steering ends not included . changed truss bearings and U J s as well. another e250 .

i finally got round to bushing the steering , took off both hubs, boy was it tough , i recon it was first day track ends were still on and they were wedged solid, anyways i took hub to engineering firm who drilled and bushed the power steering ram end , i was unable to buy bushing so they made one .. they made up a few spacers for me as well cost e180 , track rod and power steering ends not included . changed truss bearings and U J s as well. another e250 .

Sure it only took you 2 years.
    Taking them axels apart is challenging alright, (you need the big swear jar), did you have much issue pulling the steering pivot pins? Was there much wear there?

Sure it only took you 2 years.
    Taking them axels apart is challenging alright, (you need the big swear jar), did you have much issue pulling the steering pivot pins? Was there much wear there?

no major bother, just used a 4inch pipe with a slot cut out to allow a 2 inch x 1 inch bar with 3 x 3/4 inch holes drilled in it to be pulled using 3/4 inch threaded bars with a similar piece on top . was going to use a 3 ton bottle jack but didnt as threaded bars i had were short . i used a 12 mmm 10.9 steel bolt screwwed into pivot pins ,,.. the track rod ends were the worst .. had to get a special tool to split them plus hammer..

pipe needs to be wide enough to allow truss bearing come out undamaged as pivot pins are removed , i forgot to add price of U J s to list. its the inner 1 each side needed replacing and boy were they tough to remove

• Advertisement
Advertisement